127 - A Daughter's Understanding

Grisha Astra - POV;

I gently unlocked the door to my temporary abode and pushed it open gingerly, praying that it kept it's noise to a minimum. I cringed at each and every creak, cursing myself under my bteath for not oiling it sooner. I shut it with a sigh and was fumbling with the locks in the dark when an abruot voice called out to me, "Grisha? Is that you?"

The lights flickered on as I turned to find myself staring at the familiar face.

"Emilia?" I called out to my wife, "You're finally back."

"I arrived here late this evening. I was given the address and directions from Nariko," she revealed.

"By why are you up this late? It's already past midnight," I remarked.

"I was waiting for your return, dear," she smiled as she removed my coat.

"I'm flattered," I laughed, "But tell me, how did your visit go? I haven't heard from you since you left with your father."

"Forgive me. I should have kept in touch," she apologised.

"Don't worry about it. You know you don't have to feel obligated to tell me your every action. After all, I always fail to contact you for weeks at a time when I'm deployed on a mission," I assured her, "Did Lord Versailles have anything special to say?"

"My father didn't seem to act out of the ordinary but I could tell that he had a number of things on his mind. James was his nephew and he'd been raised almost like a brother to me and a son to father. He was certainly out for the blood of the one who killed James. Being unable to find the killer has left a deep mark," she noted.

"I guess even an asshole has feelings," I thought aloud, "Is your little sister dealing with it well?"

"She was fine when I saw her... although we never spoke. She seemed cold to me. Also, my father may be rash at times and his actions extreme but deep down he is a good man who cares for the future of all things. I truly believe that."

"I can see why you'd say that. I mean, as much as I hold my reservations regarding Lord Versailles, he went so far as to rent an entire house for us here in Fenix City for the duration of the tournament. He certainly does some thoughtful things, though that doesn't forgive him holding my entire clan hostage," I grunted.

"The kids are... asleep right? Indira and Nariko?" I questioned her as we made our way to the living room.

"Nariko welcomed me back and she turned in early. Indira was out until around nine. She came back, soaked in sweat and caked with dirt. It seems that she and the other children were training. When she got back she took a bath and went to her room so we really didn't speak to each other. I think she might be a bit upset though," Emilia told me as we dropped down onto the soft sofa, "Were you out with Xyder all this time?"

"I was," I responded, "We were trying to push him a little further. With the tournament days away, every second counts."

"I understand that but for this last month you've spent more time away with him than with your own daughters. You don't think that this may be bothering them? This is the most free time you've been granted in ages and yet..." she trailed off.

"I've thought about that myself. Make no mistake, I feel saddened by it but there are things I have to do and this is one of them," I told her.

"But is that really true? Is helping him more important than being with your daughters?" she pressed.

"On the surface it may look and sound terrible but trust me Emilia, it truly is more important that I stand with Xyder at this time," I answered.

"Grisha, how could you say that? Do you love another man's child more than your own? If they heard you now it would break their hearts!" Emilia scolded.

"You have it all wrong Emilia. It's more important that I be with Xyder at this time BECAUSE I have only the greatest love for Indira and Nariko, I corrected her, "With that love comes an immeasurable amount of trust. I trust in Indira's strength, ability and leadership. She can overcome any obstacle at the point she is currently at. I can already tell that she will surpass me in every way possible and she will take Astra to new heights. Xyder on the other hand isn't ready to do the same. He was slighted and robbed of so much for his entire life. He has long been without a father to show him the path of strength and leadership. If he is to take charge of Zephyr and raise his Clan's name, he has so much to learn and he has so many ways to grow. He was never given that chance as a child so he has to work so much harder now to fill the shoes of his father and grandfather. If he cannot gain the power he needs, it could spell the end of Zephyr and it is for that reason that it is so much more important for me to be with him in these trying times."

"But to aid an opposing clan? An enemy? Why?" she inquired.

"A man I met a long time ago taught me the flaws in that line of thought. It's all well and good to compete with each other but in times of strife, it is the duty of the Elemental Clans to stand together as one, especially for the sake of the world. We are friends, comrades, maybe even rivals but we should never be enemies. We can all only benefit from each other and we can all only hurt from the downfall of each other," I proclaimed, rising to my feet.

"So that's how you feel. It seems this Kristæl you always speak of truly was a good man. He has left a great impression on you," Emilia smiled, "Are you heading off to rest?"

"Yes, I have to make an early departure in the morning. Why don't you join me to bed?" I whispered to her as I placed an arm around her. We slowly exited the living room as we made our way to our bedroom. As we rounded the corner to the staircase however, I stopped dead in tracks. There, sitting atop the steps, was my eldest daughter who idly played with a small, magnetic marble in her hands.

"Hey," she muttered in a monotone.

"H-hey..." I responded, "You're still up Indira?"

This was the first time we'd truly interacted since I took on Xyder as an apprentice. I'd admittedly been avoiding this for the last few weeks too since I myself found it awkward, knowing very well how cheated my daughters must have felt by my decision to stick by Xyder instead of them.

"How nice of you to drop by after midnight. Must be fun losing track of the time with your favourite student," she remarked coldly, "And then you're leaving before dawn again without sharing even a word with us right?"

"Indira... I'm sorry," I told her in a low voice. In one, sudden motion, she flicked the metal sphere towards me at a rapid speed. Caught offguard, I barely managed to grab it between my index finger and thumb as it hurtled towards me.

"What are you apologizing for you old geezer? Don't you have a promise to uphold and debts to repay?" she grinned as she stood upright, "The Regulus if Astra doesn't have to seek permission from anyone else to act. Besides, what kind of leader would you be if you couldn't stand by your words and do what you felt was right? I can tell you that you wouldn't be a leader I was willing to follow if that was the case! All this means is that I'll have to show you, along with Zephyr and the rest of 'em that Astra is number one!"

"Indira... Once all of this is over, I promise I'll make it up to you and Nariko both," I swore.

"You'd better. Poor Nari's been through so much. Anyway, I'll see you guys later," she yawned as she retreated to her room, "Night mom, dad. Love you guys."