[2]

Ariana

Tuesday, 9:03 am

I put the cap on the bottle and leave the bathroom. Justin is standing at the door, and I immediately put a smile on my face.

"Justin, h-hi."

"What happened to your face?" Justin asks.

"I, uh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Okay then."

"Well, what are you doing here?"

"You said I could visit anytime, and I was tired of unpacking. So, here I am."

"Oh. I guess you wanna come in?"

"If it's okay with you, sure."

"Well, come in." I move aside so he can walk in and close the door.

"Nice house." He says.

"Thank you. Do you want something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." I walk into the living room and we sit down.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"What do you mean?"

"I saw you limping, Ariana."

"Oh, I just... Tripped over a book yesterday. Hurt my ankle."

"Oh."

"So, why'd you move here?"

"I wanted a change of scenery. I moved from Canada. Snowy to sunny, I guess."

"Oh, that's cool. Do you have a job?"

"Not necessarily. I'm kind of into music."

"You sing?"

"You could say that. Other people don't seem to think so."

"I'm sorry?"

"Oh. I was talking about my dad. He doesn't think it's a good idea for me to be a singer. He wanted me to be more of an athlete. And I do play sports, but singing is just... you know."

"Yeah. I do know about being forced into something I don't want. And I'm guessing now that I've told you that, you want to hear the whole story."

"Absolutely." He laughs.

"I was forced into my relationship with Derrick. Our parents grew up together, which obviously means we did too. It was a princess-prince situation. It was like our parents had planned our whole life's out for us, and we didn't have a say in any of it."

"Wow. That sucks."

"I really don't love him, and I know he doesn't love me. But my parents bought this house, even though he seems to think he pays for everything, and if I leave him, they'll basically disown me."

"That's horrible."

"I know, but it's my life." I shrug.

11:24 am

"Can I use your bathroom?"

"Yeah. It's the second door on the left." He nods, standing up.

He walks out and I look at Instagram for all of two seconds before Justin comes back in.

"Ariana." Justin says.

I look up at him, turning off my phone.

"That was fast."

"What is this?" He asks, taking out the same bottle of pills that I had just used.

"A bottle of pills."

"For why?"

"For me."

"That's funny because it looks like they belong to a Derrick Thomas. Ariana, please tell me you're not doing what I think you're doing."

I look down at my feet, mumbling 'I'm not'.

"Ariana, look me in my eyes and tell me you're not."

I can't bring myself to look at him. I know he's disappointed, even if he's only know me for a day.

"Oh God, Ariana." He lets the bottle fall and drops to his knees.

I cover my face with my hands, crying.

"Stop, Ariana. Don't cry." Him being stronger than me, he removes my hands.

"I know I haven't known you for more than a day, but I need you to stop. I need you to stop. Promise me you'll stop."

"I-I can't Justin." I stutter.

"Yes you can. I know you can. You have to. For the sake of your life. This could kill you." He lifts my chin with his finger, forcing me to look him in the eyes.

"Promise me you'll stop." He says.

"I-I..."

"Ariana, promise me."

"I-I will. I p-promise." He half smiles, pulling me in for a hug.

I hug him back then he pulls away.

"I need to leave." He says.

"Are you gonna come back?"

"Of course. I can come back every day, if you want some company."

"That would be nice." I smile.

"Then it's settled. I'll be back tomorrow." He says.

I walk him to the door, and Nicole walks in just as Justin leaves.

"Who was he?"

"Just moved in across the street."

"You know Derrick wouldn't be happy if he found out he was here."

"I know."

I sigh, walking into the living room. I pick up the pill bottle from the floor, downing one last pill before returning the bottle to the cabinet.

"I promised I would stop. I promised I would stop." I whisper.

7:45 pm

"This is amazing, Nicole. I'm impressed." Derrick says.

I, on the other hand, haven't said a word since Justin left. I was afraid that anything I said would trigger something in Derrick. Something I wouldn't want to experience.

"Ariana, you've been quiet. Is everything okay?" Derrick asks me.

"I'm fine. Thanks." I push my food around my plate with my fork while he eats like he hasn't eaten in ten years.

"Not hungry?" He asks.

I shake my head. I don't know why he was being nice now, because everyone and their mother knows he won't be the same tonight.