[11]

Justin

Friday, 12:46 pm

"I can't believe she would say that about me." Joan says.

"She's just being honest." I reply.

Joan glares at me. For the past hour, she had been talking about how horrible Ariana was and how much she hated her. I didn't even know why she was still here.

"You shut up. You don't even know me."

"I know that you forced her into a relationship she didn't want, and that you threatened to leave her on the streets if she didn't go through with it."

"I bought the house!"

"But were you not thinking of what could've happened to your daughter if she was on the streets? Did you think about that?"

"I don't care! Derrick is a very handsome young man and he was perfect for her."

"Was he really perfect for her? The one who abused her so much she wanted to die? Did you know about that? No, you didn't, because you only care about yourself. Your daughter could've died because of you!"

This is what shuts her up and she storms out, leaving Edward behind.

I don't even bother to acknowledge him as I walk out of the waiting room and into Ariana's room.

She's awake and staring at the wall.

"Hey." I walk to the side of her bed, sitting in a chair.

She doesn't say anything back.

"Are you okay?"

"I'll never be okay." She whispers, not breaking eye contact with the wall.

"Ariana, you will be eventually. I promise. Stop thinking negatively."

"Come here." She says.

She holds her hand out and I take it, leaning in to kiss her.

"Justin?"

"What is it, Ari?"

"Do you love me?"

I look in her beautiful brown eyes for a second, tossing the question around in my head.

"Yes, Ariana. I do love you. A lot."

"I love you too. A lot more. And I'll try. For you."

"You'll try what?"

"I'll try to be positive. I want to live, for you. And now that Derrick is out of the picture, it'll be easier." She gives me a small smile.

"Fuck, Ariana." I sigh.

"What?" She asks, instantly worried.

"I-I... I don't know how to tell you this. But... Derrick was gone when the police got to your house. He was nowhere to be found." Her face falls.

The smile that was there is long gone.

"No, Justin. No, no, no!" Tears fall down her face and I Stans up to hug her.

"I'm sorry, baby girl. They have every officer available looking for him. They'll find him, I swear they will. Just... please don't cry. Please?"

"Justin, he's gonna come back. He's gonna kill me." She wails.

"No, he's not. You'll be safe with me. I won't take my eyes off of you. Ever."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I promise."

"I trust you."

"Good. Now I'll go ask the doctor when you can leave. It needs to be as soon as possible."

"But you said it wouldn't be until tomorrow."

"It probably won't. But it doesn't hurt to ask."

"Thank you for everything, Justin. I appreciate it. I really do."

"It's no problem, babe." I kiss her, lingering for a few more seconds before walking out of her room.

I find the doctor talking to Edward and Nicole in the waiting room. I wait until he's finished with them before speaking.

"Doctor, when do you think she'll be able to leave?"

"Well, according to all the information and data we've gathered, she needs to stay overnight for observation. But, if she improves in the next couple hours, she might be in good enough shape to leave tomorrow afternoon."

"That's great. Thank you for everything."

"No problem. Just doing my job." I shake his hand before returning to Ariana's room.

A nurse is checking the machines she is connected to. I wait for the nurse to leave before talking to Ariana.

"He said the earliest you could leave is tomorrow afternoon. Does that sound okay with you?"

"It'll work."

"Good."

2:34 pm

After two hours of me and Ariana talking on and on about random stuff, she fell asleep. The nurse said it's because the pain medication made her drowsy, and she would probably be asleep for a long time.

"Visiting hours will be over by the time she wakes up. You can come back tomorrow at 9 am."

"Thank you." She smiles before continuing to write on her clipboard.

I tell Nicole what the nurse said since Edward was long gone and we both leave at the same time.

I go home to take a shower and eat, since I was going nowhere near that hospital food, then continue unpacking my bedroom and the bathrooms. It takes a while, but eventually, I get it all done. I order pizza for dinner and watch some old show before falling asleep in the couch, the TV still on.