DETENTION

After the slip of tongue that day,Snape had maintained his angry behaviour,not to give himself away,though not as rude to Hermione.She was also glad but didn't want to get her hopes up really.One day Hermione ran into class when it was almost over,"Sorry-sir-Quidditch-practice-"she said out of breath.Snape was ready to shout abuse but seeing her almost on the verge of having a cardiac arrest,he said instead,"Settle down."The whole class looked back at her in awe.Snape had never said 'settle down' to anyone before without taking house points and she reached class when it was nearly over!But Hermione was too relieved not to have lost house points to notice anything different.As the bell rang,however,Snape quipped,"Oh,Ms.Granger.You need to stay back to serve a detention."
Others gave her sympathetic glances but Hermione didn't mind.Great,I'll get to spend some time with him.But aargh,wonder what he'll make me do for detention?
Snape turned his back to her as he thought about what work to set her.Not anything laborious.I wouldn't want her to get worked up.I should be angry on her for being that late.Oh,don't pretend you gave her the detention for anything else but to have her right under your nose all alone!"Yes,you'll be copying notes."Snape said,unable to think of anything else.Hermione skipped over to the front desk,right in front of his table.That's it?Cool.Hermione took out parchment,quill and ink and set to work.Snape settled down comfortably at his desk so that they were face to face.After a few moments Hermione tried to explain,"I'm really sorry I was late for class today.It's just that the match is tomorrow and we were practicing during a free period and I lost track of time."Snape just nodded in response and Hermione thought she shouldn't push any further."Did you complete the chapter on Redcaps,sir?""Yes",Snape said curtly.Always stressing over studies.She needs to relax some.There's so much going on that she doesn't know about.She has to deal with so many other things.The man who betrayed her parents is on the loose.And the Dark Lord of course,planning on his return to finish what he started.Snape shuddered at the thought.And now him too.No I never want to be another problem.Snape coughed loudly to end his chain of thought.After twiddling some more Hermione said changing the topic,"Do you have a bad cough,sir?I can make a mean cup of tea,with ginger.Its extremely helpful for sore throats-""Ms.Granger,please don't feel the need to fill every silence with your prattling."Snape cut her off.Hermione looked down her face going completely red and her brows furrowed,which Snape noticed.Shit.You always have to be a complete prick,don't you?She showed her concern for you and you-Snape put his fingers to his temple.
Detension was over and Hermione packed up her things.She had gone very quite,not uttering another word nor looking up at her teacher anymore.Snape didn't want her to go away all upset about what he said earlier.He quickly thought of something good to say,"Your essay on the protection and mistreatment of house-elves was..."Hermione stopped on her tracks curious but not letting it show on her face."...excellent."Snape finished,thinking whether he had overdone it.Hermione's stomach made a flip.This is the closest he has ever come to complementing me!"Really?"Hermione asked,hopeful."Yes...yes.It was very good.Quite extraordinary,actually.You are a lot more commendable than your classmates."Hermione was surprised."Thank you sir."
She's surprised allright.Snape got up to keep the book back in his booshelf.Thinking,Hermione had already left,he scoffed and muttered,"Didn't expect such words coming from the 'dungeon bat',as you all think of me?"
"I don't think of you as a dungeon bat."Hermione said,to which Snape whipped around.She gave him a smile while closing the door.