CAMOUFLAGE

Snape was running his fingers through the bushes of love-in-idleness flowers in his garden,thinking about the time he had gifted them to Hermione,when suddenly his dark mark burned again.He had been instructed to stay hidden for a few months,so he had come home and noone knew that place,but now he knew he was being summoned.He apparated to the Malfoy manor,where Voldemort held all the meetings and by the time he reached,he saw the others had already settled in.Yaxley was looking particularly flamboyant."Confirmed news my lord!They are going to move the mudblood right on her nameday."Snape looked dumbfounded.How the hell did he know about that?Have they infiltrated the Order too just like they did the Ministry?He tried to throw them off the scent,"No,I think you are mistaken,Yaxley.That plan is a decoy.They only want you to think that,while they would keep the Granger girl in hiding for a week more before transporting her elsewhere.""What do you know?You've been inside your burrow these last few months!"Yaxley spat,angry to be contradicted.Snape rose to his full height,"Do not take that tone with me!I was only serving the Dark lord and he knows that I have provided reliable information before too."Voldemort hadn't said a word till then,but now he weighed both their informations."They want to confuse us by letting out different rumours.However,these naive humans don't know that we have more numbers than them.One half of you would keep an eye on that muggle abode at Surrey on her nameday,while the other half would stay alert if she is tried to be moved anyday after that.I want that girl any which way!"They all nodded and departed and Snape tried to think how he could alert the Order of a possible ambush.......
"For the last time,Uncle Vernon!"Hermione said exasperated,when her uncle hesitated to leave his house even after they had everything packed for the journey."It is for you and your family's safety.The protective charm on this house would be lifted today at midnight.Then Voldemort could incinerate you in the blink of an eye!"She was about to repeat the words she had recited to them over the course of the last two months again,but got distracted by the sounds of people apparating in their back alley.They came around to the front porch and Hermione ran to greet them."I didn't know you all were coming!Wouldn't such a large party attract attention?"she asked as she hugged each of her friends,Ron,Harry and Ginny and then Hagrid,Lupin,Tonks,Moody,Bill,Fred,George and Arthur in turn.There was another person at the end of the line and Hermione instinctively was about to hug him too but seeing that he was a stranger,she stopped midway.The man,too had raised his arms but let them fall abruptly and to mask the awkwardness,he looked down shyly and took her hand and kissing it ,he muttered,"I'm Jaime Lancaster.A pleasure to meet you."He had a deep voice and the way he looked at her,made Hermione blush lightly."Change of plans Hermione,"Lupin informed while they moved inside,"This gentleman over here-whom we recently became acquainted to-has been working as a spy for Dumbledore.And it was so good of him to alert us that there might be death eaters keeping watch over the house."he said patting Jaime on the back.Hermione nodded towards him in gratitude and he bowed,implying that she was welcome.There was something about him that made her like him.Kingsley Shacklebolt and Dedalus Diggle were there to fetch the Dursleys.Uncle Vernon grew more grumpy with the presence of so many witches and wizards in his living room and Aunt Petunia clucked her tongue at intervals."We've had these discussions before Uncle Vernon.Even though you think of me as a waste of space Voldemort is not aware of that and he might think of torturing you to get to me.Go with them,the Order of the Phoenix would protect you."Hermione urged but still Vernon sat rooted to his couch with his arms crossed."I don't think you're a waste of space."Dudley said suddenly,making everyone look at him in awe.He ambled forward awkwardly and picking up a backpack he said,"Come on,mum,dad.Don't you see how serious this is?We should listen to her.She cares for our safety."he looked understandingly at Hermione and she smiled a bittersweet smile.Vernon and Petunia were both amazed at their son's words but they took up their luggage and followed Kingsley and Diggle out.Dudley however stopped at the doorway and turned back to Hermione.They both didn't know what to say.Finally Dudley mumbled,"I'm sorry.It would've been nice to know you better."He extended a hand for her to shake but she tearfully hugged him instead.After they left,the others made themselves at home and talked boisterously amongst themselves."As Remus was telling you,they might be out there,watching.So we thought,we must mislead them into thinking there were more than one of you."Arthur said cheerily,"Actually,it was Mr.Lancaster's idea too." he added aside.Hermione looked at all of their expectant faces and then realisation dawned on her that they were suggesting the use of polyjuice potion."No no no no no.I cannot let you do that.There's no need for this.It's dangerous and reckless!"she looked disapprovingly at Jaime that he would even put this idea in their heads."You should let them do it.It is only for your safety."he told her.Hermione was liking him less and less now.Excuse me,you don't know me mister.You don't get to tell me what I should and should'nt do! "No use in objecting Mione.You can't overpower us."Ron said,readying himself to extract her hair."Try me,I'm very fiesty!"she cried,but before she could reach for her wand,Jaime caught her arms,locking them together and Ginny pulled out about a dozen of her hair.She struggled and he let her go.Man,that guy has a grasp like steel shackles!She stomped upstairs angrily to pack her bags....................................................
Hermione sat on her bed looking at the broken glass of the mirror Sirius had given her.She was feeling nostalgic when she thought she saw a flicker of blue inside the mirror.She was wondering what she saw because there was nothing blue in the room that could've been reflected,when there was a knock on the door and Jaime poked his head inside.Hermione sighed and continued packing."Hey,are you okay?"he asked."Yeah."she replied but when he continued to stare at her she felt like she was being subjected to an x-ray vision and she found herself explaining ,even though she didn't really want to,"I am a bit upset,and scared,going away from here.Though I never really called this place 'home',home has always been-" "Hogwarts."he said knowingly.She looked up at him and he was touching his lips thoughtfully.She continued,"I feel like I'm being robbed of my feeling of security..."He came closer and assured,"You should remember that Hogwarts would always be there to welcome you."She looked at him for a long time,then said,"You remind me of someone I know.Used to know."He didn't reply but sat beside her and helped her pack.Hermione was a little discomforted.He's being too familiar."Um,I'm sorry for manhandling you earlier.But the potion trick needs to be done."he admitted.Hermione didn't say anything."I know you are concerned for your friends but your life matters more."he said."But they matter to me more than my life.They are all I have."Hermione said.He ran his hand through his auburn mane of hair and Hermione had a vision of Snape doing that.She quickly looked away.He reasoned,"But remember what task Dumbledore has set for you.Things only you can do."Hermione's head whipped up at him.How could he possibly know?He tried to act innocent at first but seeing that she had suspected the right thing,he looked amused."It's me,Hermione."he flashed a smile.Hermione clasped her hands over her mouth,"Oh my God,Severus!"she shout-whispered and hugged him furiously."What're you-when-wh-h-how?"but she already knew the answer.Polyjuice potion."How did you manage to do this?"she asked.He kept his voice low,"I'm supposed to stay off grid.Not even any death eaters know where I am.I took the hair off some muggle on the street,so no worry of getting recognised here.Yaxley informed the dark lord that the Order was planning on moving you tonight so I had to warn them and also see you safely to the Burrow."Hermione half-smiled and half-cried,"But they would kill you if they find out." "They won't." Hermione was about to say something more when Ron came to the door,"Hey,you ready to go?" She brushed a tear away aside and said,"Yes.Jai-Mr.Lancaster was helping me pack.He is being so kind." Ron narrowed his eyes at him,"Yes,he is indeed."............
Later when Hermione was making some tea while the others were waiting for the clock to strike midnight and discussing their plans,Ron came up to her."I don't get a good feeling out of this Jaime guy.Don't you think he's being too kind and too helpful?I mean,what motive could he have?No one knows about him and suddenly he pops out of nowhere with all this information.Dad assured me that they've already interrogated him rigorously,otherwise I would'nt have trusted him at all."Hermione smiled to herself."Don't be so paranoid Ron." "I don't like the way he looks at you-like you're something he craves."he pointed out and they both looked.They caught him staring at her and he quickly looked elsewhere."It's not what you think,Ron,"she said,"I'll explain-"But at that moment,Moody boomed,"Let's get on with it." and everyone jumped into action.The younger members each had a swig of the potion that had been simmering with Hermione's hair in it and they transformed into her.Hermione covered her face with her hands when Fred and George looked down their tops and went,"Nice!"Ginny gave a smack on Harry and Ron's heads since they were comparing boobs and Hermione looked embarrassedly at Jaime,who winked back."Maybe Jaime should accompany me."Hermione suggested and Arthur,Moody,Lupin,Ron,Harry and Ginny looked at her like she was crazy."No,I'll take ya 'Ermione."Hagrid said."But if she was to go with an unknown person,surely the death eaters would ignore her.They would assume that we would never trust the real Hermione with a stranger."Lupin admitted."I called it first!I'm a lot stronger and I'll protect her be'er."Hagrid said,hurt that they would even suggest the idea of rejecting him."And we don' know abou his skills."he added aside.So that was settled and Hermione looked disappointedly at Jaime who said with his eyes that everything was going to be fine.They readied themselves at the back door,the atmosphere growing grim and serious.They were to fly to different destinations and then portkey back to the Burrow.As the clock struck twelve,they kicked off with their partners.................................
Snape was waiting impatiently at the porch of the Burrow.As dreaded,all of them had been attacked by a swarm of death eaters as soon as they were airborne and they had scattered.He had seen a last glimpse of Hermione as she zoomed away on Hagrid's motorcycle and then he had been too busy fighting off death-eaters and protecting Harry.They managed to return to the Burrow and found Ron and Tonks had already returned.One by one everyone arrived;Lupin carrying an injured George,but there was no sign of Hermione nor Hagrid.He was growing increasingly tensed.I should've gone with her.They should not have trusted her with Hagrid;he can barely handle himself.The effect of the potion was about to wear off and the little bottle from which he had been secretly sipping all evening,was empty now.When Bill returned and informed them that Moody had died fighting,Snape became more worried.Finally they heard a splash in a nearby puddle where Hermione crashed the bike,with an unconscious Hagrid on the seat.Snape rushed out ahead of everybody else."It's not as bad as it looks.I'm okay."Hermione was saying,wiping her bleeding nose.Snape bounded forward and kissed her full on the mouth,making everyone stop in surprise.But at that moment,the polyjuice potion wore out and he changed back to normal.All their eyes widened and Ron shouted pointing,"I smelled something fishy going on!"Everyone fumbled to grab their wands,shouting,"Imposter!"But before their curses could hit him,Snape drew a protective charm in front of him.As they were about to attack again,Hermione put herself in front of him,guarding him."Stop!I can explain.Severus is on our side." "Whatever that bastard has told you is a lie."said Arthur."He is playing with your mind Hermione."said Lupin."No.Hear me out,please!I swear on my life.What I'm about to tell you is the truth."Even though Snape tugged at her sleeve to stop her,Hermione explained everything to them and they listened to her in disbelief.They exchanged looks and gradually they lowered their wands.Hermione breathed a sigh of relief.Lupin was the first to come and embrace him,"You did a noble thing.""I would hardly call killing ,an act of nobility...."said Snape.They willingly welcomed him inside and Hermione was glad.Though it was shortlived,as she came to know that Moody was dead and George was down with an injury.They revived Hagrid with some difficulty and after recounting their strife with the death eaters and telling them how she had lost her beloved pet owl too,Hermione couldn't hold back her tears any longer.She waved away Snape's hand which tried to nurse her broken nose,she removed herself to the back garden and looked up at the stars in the night sky.The sound of a bell knelling floated through the air and to her ears,it sounded like a requiem.The last rites have just begun.