INTERLUDE

"It was Malfoy."Stunned eyes were turned to Hermione,but she refused to be intimidated."That is a very serious accusation Ms.Granger."McGonagall said."Indeed."Snape agreed so Hermione looked at him."I know what I saw.He was making out with her in the bathroom,just before I happened on them.He left immediately and Katie looked all confused and mad...She must be under a love-potion or the imperius curse.I then noticed this packet in her hand,Malfoy must have given it to her and she said she had to give it to someone-"but Hermione was stopped by Dumbledore,"How can you be so sure it was Mr.Malfoy?Do you have any proof Ms.Granger?Any other witness?"Hermione looked down,"No sir.I...just...know."Snape ran his hand through his hair and shook his head,"You 'just know'?"Hermione didn't know what she should've done,whipped out a video camera and got conclusive proof of Malfoy's involvement?"I'm sure Mr.Malfoy would have good alibis.And anyways I do not see why he would be trying to hurt Ms.Bell..."Dumbledore said and the matter was put to rest at that.Katie was already sent to St.Mungo's and news had come that she was going to survive.Hermione came out of Dumbledore's office,opened her mask and shook out her hair.Snape came out behind her,"You know you would be held accountable for such a comment.Couldn't you keep your thoughts to yourself on this matter?"Hermione scoffed,"I thought you should be warned and I can't believe you can't see the obvious.This is an infiltration of dark magic into Hogwarts.I don't know about you but I'm totally convinced that this was an attempt to incapacitate Dumbledore."She stalked off and Snape realised that his wise witch had again hit the nail precisely on the point.........
It was Hogsmead weekend and Hermione was seated at a table in the bar.Harry and Ginny had found a corner and Ron was fooling around as he always did while she was quitely sipping her butterbeer and feeling a bit isolated.Just then a sudden breeze ruffled her hair and she saw the door to The Three Broomsticks had opened and in strode Professors McGonagall,Flitwick,Slughorn and Snape,in a flurry of snowflakes.Hermione's face lit up and Snape's eyes found her and he made his way to her table."Mind if we join you Ms.Granger?"She looked around and noticed no one cared and said,"Not at all."The place was pretty crowded and Snape knew that it wouldn't look suspicious if teachers shared a table with their students,and he could have the pleasure of Hermione's company without any hindrance.Madam Rosmerta took their orders,"A small Gillywater for Minerva,mulled mead for Horace,redcurrant rum for Filius and a Vodka martini for Severus.Do you want me to refill your butterbeer Hermione?""Yes please."she said.After they had had a few drinks,a flush-faced Slughorn bumbled,"I don't believe it,Hermione Granger drinking plain butterbeer!""You should have something stronger."Flitwick suggested,raising his tankard."She doesn't drink much alcohol."Snape informed looking at Hermione.She stared back at him,"I choose not to-""Rubbish!Everything is better with some wine in the belly."Slughorn said,accidentally sloshing some mead on the table."She isn't used to the taste.I've seen her flinching with the burning sensation in her throat as the wine went down it.She is too young and inexperienced.Alcohol isn't suitable for her."Snape said simply,sipping his drink.Hermione glared at him,not being able to believe he was pulling her leg too."But butterbeer isn't suitable for her neither.It's like a lion eating some humus."Flitwick commented."Nicely phrased."agreed Snape looking over the rim at Hermione and smirking."Don't pay any heed to these men,they are drunk."McGonagall patted her hand.But Hermione was determined to keep up with them."Ok,I'll have something else then.""About time!Have something other than this fucking rainwater."Slughorn said."Some chocolate milk perhaps?"Snape conjectured and everyone had a hearty round of laugh.Only Hermione crossed her hands on her chest and puffed up her face."You look even more like a baby when you do that."Snape told in her ear.She could'nt lap this up.'Even more'?You mean you already think of me as a baby?She wished them good-evening and took her leave.Snape watched her go and thought whether he had been too ribbing..............................................
The Christmas holidays started from the next day and though Hermione had stayed behind at Hogwarts,she didn't come down to visit Snape.So in the evening,he decided to call her."What have you been up to all day?"Hermione replied sarcastically,"Just fiddling around with my rattle.Sorry I didn't come down,I was actually too afraid to crawl out of my crib."Snape sighed,"Are you still onto that?Come on,that was just a harmless joke.""It was not nice,you were being mean."she said and he could feel that she was pouting."I'm sorry."he admitted.They went on to talk about the attack on Katie Bell."I shudder to think what could've happened to you if you had touched that necklace...you made a hair-breath escape,you were in such close proximity to it!Ms.Bell is lucky to be alive,it was full of dark magic beyond measure."Hermione tsked and said,"She was just an innocent victim.As I said,it was meant for somebody else and I'm afraid that once he has failed,he would strike again.The question is when.And when he does,would we be so lucky the second time too?"
Hermione then told him about her lessons with Dumbledore,"The purpose of these lessons are to figure out how to defeat Him,you know,to unriddle his deepest darkest secret.Dumbledore is dubious about whether Voldemort is immortal and we are trying to look for anything,anything at all that might help bring him down.I saw in the pensieve how He in his years at Hogwarrs had inquired Professor Slughorn about something but that memory has been tampered with.So I have to find a way to get the real memory."Hermione was prattling on but Snape's mind was wondering.We are also trying to find a way to defeat it.The thing that is eating Albus up from inside.The boy has been chosen with the task,so harrowing,we have to somehow find a way around it...."Isn't it?"and he realised she had just asked him a question."Hmm?"he asked."I said,I miss the time when you gave me those occlumency lessons.And remember,the first private lessons that you gave me on doing the patronus charm?That's where it all started;You and me."He half-smiled,"Yeah,it's been so long.I still have that letter you wrote me.I read it sometimes and have trouble believing that this could happen.The first time you confessed your love to me,I didn't believe it to take such a shape,I never thought it would last this long.""What do you mean?"Hermione asked seriously.Snape tried to explain,"Obviously,I thought it was just some teenage crush on a teacher.I assumed girls like you to be fickle-minded and having the propensity to change every other day."He stopped when he heard a sharp intake of breath from the other side."Hermione?"he asked but he could only hear deep breaths and gasps as if she was trying to suppress her sobs."I can't believe you just said that."she choked and the line went dead.
[I'm going out of station for a few days so I don't think I'll be able to update in the next couple of days.I hope to write the next part as soon as I get back.Please keep following and commenting.Love you guys!]