THE PATRONUS

Hermione felt ecstatic;Professor Mcgonagall had given her broom back after searching in vain for any faults with it and most importantly,Snape had called her 'Hermione'.This was definitely a progress.He had been a lot polite and gentler with her too and that was more than she expected.I'm not saying anything will happen but...it just might!She practically skipped her way to Snape's office and knocked and went in after a crisp 'Come in' from inside."Ah, Ms.Granger."Snape stood up seeing her.She stopped in her tracks,"I thought we were past the formalities."She deliberately made her face look disappointed and Snape corrected himself,"As you wish Ms.Grang-er..Hermione."Her face lit up and Snape returned her smile.Then they set to work with the boggart.Today Hermione put in a lot more effort and after a few tries she somehow managed to produce a patronus that assumed a form."What is it..?"Hermione narrowed her eyes to look closely."Lets see."Snape brought out an encyclopedia-like big book from the shelf and opened it up on his desk.Hermione came closer and looked at it over his shoulder.She saw him momentarily tense up but she enjoyed this closeness.He instead focused his attention on flipping through the pages covered with pictures of all sorts of animals and magical beasts till they found the right one."There."Hermione pointed out.It was a coyote."So that's what it is."Hermione nodded towards her patronus that was still bobbing up and down in the air in front of them."Yes..indeed."Snape said lost in thought about something else.Hermione followed his gaze which was on the other page of the book.There was a picture of a gray wolf."My patronus is a gray wolf."Snape said when Hermione looked at him inquisitively.She brought her eyes down to the last line of that page,which read,'The gray wolf is closely related to the coyote,which is slightly smaller than it.'Wow.That is awesome.Snape finally looked up at her and she saw...what was it?Delight?Affection?She could'nt tell but he definitely thought about them in a different light now.The patronus gradually flickered and dissappeared.Snape shook his head to push away whatever thought was in his mind and Hermione backed away to practice again."All right then.Maybe we should go again..."she began but Snape started talking."Or maybe.. since you did exceptionally well today,maybe..well,I thought,we could have a d-drink.Like...like a treat."Snape at first looked down at his feet then looked at her,as if hoping she would say yes.She raised her eyebrows in shock."Its just butterbeer..nothing strong."Snape mumbled,embarrassed.She gave a small laugh,"Great!Thank you sir."They went to the drawing room where Hermione took a chair and Snape brought out a bottle and poured the fizzing drink into two glasses.He came to the table,placed one glass in front of Hermione,while taking the other glass himself sat down so close to her that their knees almost touched.Hermione sipped her drink and internally contemplated whether he was finally beginning to ease up with her."I thought,what with you not being allowed to visit Hogsmeade,you're missing out on this delicacy of sorts."Snape  said."Mm..I liked it from the very first time I tasted it."Hermione recalled.Snape raised an eyebrow at her and she realised what she had said.Shit!He doesn't know I've had this before because according to him,I've never been to The Hogshead.He doesn't know about the Marauders Map nor about me sneaking out of the castle with it's help.Hermione quickly tried to cover up her mistake,"Ron and Harry brought some back for me during their last visit."But she couldn't look him in the eye and lie.She sneaked a glance at him and he still didn't look totally convinced but he let it go with a shrug.Hermione changed the subject."Professor Mcgonagall is taking it to the extreme,really."She rolled her eyes."I mean,okay I get it that it's against school rules to visit Hogsmeade without a signed consent letter but she even took away my broom,which came as a present from an unknown person.She handled it like it had a bomb or something..."she joked.Snape's expression changed completely,he looked exasperated and put his fingers in the furrow between his brows."Are you really that naive?We are all doing it because we are trying to protect you from Sirius Black!"he said in a raised voice but then stopped,realising he had divulged the secret.Hermione was taken aback.He looked at her and quickly began to apologise,"I'm sorry-""Its ok.I already knew."Hermione said in a small voice.This time Snape looked surprised and Hermione said,"I heard all of you that day in the Great Hall."Snape solemnly said,"I did not mean for you to find out that way."Hermione looked up at him,"It doesn't matter.Its better that I know.I can now let all of you know how grateful I am that you're working tirelessly to keep me safe.""Then you must know that it is all for your benefit."Snape raised his glass at her.But Hermione bit her lip,looking melancholy."I know,but...I'm just saying...maybe it won't matter in the end.Maybe it'll all go waste."Snape sat up straight and looked deep in her eyes,trying to figure out reason for her sadness."Why would you say that?"Hermione began,"I...I've been..." then thought better of it and said,"No,just let it be.You're going to think I'm a complete wuss."Snape urged her on,"Hermione.I'm not going to judge you.Something's clearly bugging you,so just tell me."When she looked sheepish he had a realisation,"Oh for God's sake!Its not about Trelawney predicting your death,is it?""No,no."Hermione said quickly."Its...."then unable to hold back any longer she blurted out,"I've seen The Grim."