THE INTRUDER

Snape was ready to retire back to his chambers when there was a sound of commotion reverberating off the castle walls,coming from the upper floors.Students out of bed?This time of the night?Then Filch burst in through his office door,"Its Black,Professor Snape,sir.He is believed to have broken into the castle.Professor Dumbledoor has asked us to secure all entrances and make a thorough search of the whole building and you have been allotted the dungeons."What?Sirius Black?Breaking into Hogwarts?Snape busily went out of the room along with Filch.His first thought was Hermione."And what of the students?What is being done?"He questioned him.Filch have him a sideways look before grumpily replying,"Those brats are being herded over to the Great hall for safekeeping."Snape was relieved.Minerva would protect her.And Dumbledoor himself would be down soon.Black dared cross the threshold of this castle right under the nose of the most powerful wizard in the world!The nerve of that man...!
Snape conducted his duties and went to the Hall.By then everyone was already in their sleeping bags.He searched for the face he longed to see but failed.He went upto the headmaster,who was looking surprisingly calm.Everyone was reporting back to him,so did Snape,"I did the dungeons,Headmaster.No sign of Black.""I didn't expect him to linger."Dumbledoor gave a half-smile."How did this happen..?"Professor Sprout scrunched up her face,inquisitive.McGonagall looked grave,"One stupid student misplaced a note containing the Griffindor common room's passwords which came into the hands of Black.It made it easier for him to enter the dormitories."He went up to Hermione's room?Did he hurt her?!"Which abysmally foolish person wrote down this week's passwords and left it lying around?"Snape fumed.McGonagall sighed,stating the obvious,"Neville Longbottom."That thick head!Snape began to shout abuse at him when Dumbledoor put a hand on his shoulder,"Don't worry Severus.Ms.Granger is perfectly fine.Black mistook Mr.Weasley's room for her and quickly exited the scene before the boy woke up and made a hue and cry."Dumbledoor indicated a person in a sleeping bag lying close by their feet and Snape exhaled when he saw the face of Hermione.She huddled together with her friends,apparently asleep.She's okay."We won't let anything happen to her.Today's mistake would not be repeated;I'll have a word with the Dementors,they obviously need to be more alert.Protection will be doubled."Dumbledoor assured.As soon as they were out of earshot of the other teachers,Snape asked,but in vain,"I had expressed my concerns before,on your appointing of-""No Professor in this castle would help Black enter it."Dumbledoor dismissed the matter.Snape became quite.Lupin was one of them.He might be his accomplice even now.But Dumbledoor just wouldn't hear any of it.I can't turn a blind eye.I have to be on vigil.....................................................
Hermione kept her eyes tightly shut and strained her ears as much as she could to catch the whispered conversation taking place among the teachers and Headmaster.She smiled to herself when she heard the concern and anger in Snape's voice but she was more worried about the subject of their discussion.Me?Sirius Black escaped from Askaban to come after me?He is Voldemort's servant.So he has come to take me as a gift to his master.But what did Professor Snape say about a professor helping Black enter the school?What was that all about?There are many questions left unanswered.Hermione turned the other side and through the slits in her eyes she saw Snape pacing the room,wand in hand,ready to attack at the slightest sound.She fell asleep contended.Early in the morning,when she woke up,looked around while stretching she saw Snape still standing a few feet away,glancing at her direction every five seconds.She was grateful.He could be just doing his job...but all the teachers took shifts keeping guard but he was here all night.Her heart said,he's here for me and always will be.