ASCENSION

The next morning,after waking up,Moody was Hermione's first thought.She was pained but she shook it off,forcing herself to focus on the quest she had to undertake.She came down the stairs and the house was already enlivened with activity,in preparation for Bill and Fleur's wedding.They wished her happy birthday and she smiled,even besides herself."We didn't get a chance to get you a gift but there's going to be a big dinner tonight."Molly said,kissing her cheeks."Will that be all right dear?" "That'll be more than enough,thank you Mrs.Weasley.Are you kidding?After what you all are doing for me already...And there are so many people;Fleur's parents have arrived and other relatives too,you should cater to them.Don't fuss over me." "Oh,nonsense!"she said,waving a hand,"I worry about you as much as any of my other children." "But my presence here means there has to be more security.And there's already so much pressure on you regarding the wedding...I wanted to go away but you people won't hear any of it-" As soon as she said it,she saw Snape's eyes burn with anguish,remembering the last time she had tried to sneak out and she knew she couldn't pull that stunt again."You are the safest here.For now.Remember that."she said and went on to slap Ron's hand away,who was trying to steal some muffins.Snape made sure Hermione had understood what Molly told her before going to her and whispered,"Happy Birthday," close to her ear.She hugged him but they didn't kiss and in a way,Hermione was glad,because first,he was again transformed to Jaime,so it'll be too weird to kiss another man and second,a kiss brought with it complications and emotions and she didn't wanna go into then."I'm sorry I didn't get you-" "Don't think about it.Listen,I need to tell you something."She pulled him into an empty room and took out a book from a pouch that she had magically enlarged from the inside."I managed to get this book on horcruxes out of Dumbledore's office before I came back from Hogwarts.I have been reading and look here,it says that there's two ways in which a horcrux can be destroyed.One,if the maker of the horcrux destroys it himself-but since it involves excruciating pain and remorse for his actions,I'm assuming Voldemort won't go through all that trouble for nothing.And the second way is by using powerful and destructive things like-" Snape finished,"The fang of the basilisk!You used it to destroy Tom Riddle's diary.That was a horcrux?" "Yes.We need to arm ourselves with something like that."Hermione said,thinking what else could there be that could destroy a horcrux.As he read the lines,Snape's mind wandered off to the future when it would be time to destroy the last one.Would someone need to stab her through the heart too or would the killing curse be enough?He bit on is lip hard and shook his head."How will you find the next horcrux?"Hermione sat down in a chair,thinking,"I suppose,I'll have a vision...which can give me some idea.Just last night I saw him chastising an old man,I suspect Mr.Ollivander,because his magic didn't work with a borrowed wand.It shattered when my wand cast a spell on it."Snape looked at her,"You remember what happened last time the two of your minds were connected?You can't let that happen again,Hermione.We went through all those occlumency lessons-" "But this time it's different.These are more like temporary images.And I had them in my sleep,I couldn't help it.This time,Voldemort isn't aware of the connection.I have mastered occlumency that much to altleast do that.And how else am I supposed to know where the horcruxes are?" He knew she was right but he was still concerned for her."I've discussed it with Harry and Ron and they are more than willing to accompany me.I guess we will have to set out right after the wedding..."she was babbling on,more out of anxiety but stopped when Snape held her hand."Be safe."he said,which was more like an order....................................
The Burrow was cramped with people and despite the austere premise,everyone was trying to be merry.Hermione thought it'd be rude not to join in but sulk on her own,so she chatted with Fleur,her exotic French parents and Bill.She enquired after his health and admired how Fleur was willing to marry him even after his face was vandalised by a werewolf.Then she went over to the kitchen to help Mrs.Weasley."Oh no,Hermione.Ginny and Harry are helping out too.I can't let the birthday girl do any chores."she said but looked glad that she was getting some assistance."Please,this is the least I can do after all the strain you are going through."Hermione said.Mrs.Weasley sat down on one of the chairs,fanning herself while Snape was setting the plates and glasses on the dining table.Hermione began humming while stirring the gravy and Mrs.Weasley closed her eyes,swaying to the tune."That's really good.Sing it aloud.Let's hear it."Hermione was a little apprehensive and shy but when everyone urged her,she began:
I've got my ticket for the long way 'round
Two bottle whiskey for the way
And I sure would like some sweet company
And I'm leaving tomorrow. What'd you say?
When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my hair
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my walk
You're gonna miss me by my talk, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
I've got my ticket for the long way 'round
The one with the prettiest of views
It's got mountains, it's got rivers
It's got sights to give you shivers
But it sure would be prettier with you
When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my walk
You're gonna miss me by my talk, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my hair
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
You're sure gonna miss me when I'm gone.
Everyone murmured in appreciation but Snape gave a bittersweet smile and dashed out."Let him be."Tonks grabbed Hermione,when she tried to go out after him to see what was wrong."He's just trying to hide.I caught him wiping a stray tear off his cheek.Your song wasn't halfway finished when I saw his chin tremble in trepidation.He needs to be alone to make himself okay with the times when you won't be around."she said.Hermione understood."Let's get back to your birthday dinner,shall we?Severus will be along in a while."Lupin said and putting a hand on the small of her back,he manoeuvred her back to the hall.But the person who entered the house then ,wasn't Snape;it was an uninvited guest-Rufus Scrimgeour,the Minister for magic.He came in through the fireplace in the living room and entered directly into the dining space. Mr.Weasley stepped forward to greet him,"To what do we owe this pleasure,Minister?" "I have some urgent business to attend to.I wish to speak to Mr.Harry Potter,Mr.Ronald Weasley and Ms.Hermione Granger,please."he said in a clipped tone and gave the look that he wanted absolute privacy..............................................
Snape had come out into the garden and grasping the fence tightly with his hands,his jaw set,chest heaving ,he tried to force back the tears that had betrayed him.Suddenly he noticed someone approaching and quickly wiped them away."It's all right,it's just me."Lupin came and stood beside him,lighting a cigarette.Snape still faced away from him so that he couldn't see his tear-streaked face.Lupin talked to him anyway,"I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through...if Dora left me...I understand Hermione is about to go on some kind of a quest.And you are going to let her?"Snape cleared his throat,"I would'nt have if there was any other way."Lupin took a long drag and let out a big puff of smoke and almost said to himself,"There's more to it than apparently any of us know..."Snape noticed the others had also come out into the porch and muttering amongst themselves."What's going on?"he asked."The Minister of magic is here.He had some business with Harry,Hermione and Ron.They are talking in the living room."Hearing this,Snape made to go inside the house again but the Minister shoved past him outside and stomping angrily down the lane,he disapparated.It was a good thing Snape was still posing as Jaime,not that the Minister even stopped to spare a glance at him.All of them hurried into the house and found Harry,Hermione and Ron holding onto the things that Dumbledore had apparently bestowed upon them in his last will."I have the Sword of Griffindor."Harry showed it off."I got the Deluminator."Ron said,unsure of what he could acheive with it."He gave me the Tales of Beedle the Bard."Hermione said,turning the book over in her hand,her brows furrowed in confusion,"Apparently he felt I would find some use for it.""And what's that?"Snape asked,pointing at a shiny object clutched in her fist."That is the first snitch I caught in my first ever quidditch match.Scrimgeour thought it is hiding something inside and would open at the touch of my hand.He was in a disgruntled mood because nothing happened when he handed it to me.What he didn't know was I had swallowed this snitch.So,it would open upon the touch of my mouth."Hermione said excitedly.Everyone waited in anticipation as Hermione touched it to her lips and the words,'I open at the close,' appeared but nothing else happened.The disappointment was clearly evident in Hermione's face.She couldn't figure out what Dumbledore meant by sending these things of seemingly trivial importance."Look alive Hermione.The old man had always been mental.Don't think about it.We have made our preparations.I enchanted our household ghoul so that he has red hair and spattergroit.If anyone comes looking for me,the others will point at him."Ron told."And I performed obliviate on my parents,so that they forget all about me.It would be like I never existed."said Harry.Mrs.Weasley let out a short whimper,holding a napkin to her face.Hermione bit her lip and after a moment,raised a wineglass to make a toast,"Thank you for all you have done and are willing to do for me.I cannot promise our safe return and neither can I guarantee our success.But I will try my best and believe anything is possible with you beside me.It is an honour to have lived by your side and it would be an honour to even die at yours."Amongst all the sniffles and 'Amen' and 'Hear hear' Snape looked deep into Hermione's eyes and wished it never came to that.