REELING

Hermione knocked at Snape's office door and got permission to come in.She went inside and saw Snape quickly drape his robe over his body to cover the bandages that still covered his chest."Ah,Hermione.Finished your packing,have you?"He said,while packing his own bags ."Yes,sir."Hermione informed.Seeing she was still lingering,Snape said,"Well,do be seated."But Hermione said,"That's allright Professor,I just came to say goodbye,for the next term....and to check how you were."Snape looked at her.She scrutinised him closely,"Are you allright?Are you still in pain?"Snape was pleased with her concern."I'm fine,Hermione.Thank you.And the pain has subsided considerably." Hermione was relieved to hear this and he went back to his packing.She watched him work and then said,"I'm still repenting what I did..I'm so sorry..."Snape left his work and gave Hermione his undivided attention."Hermione,please. You have already apologised a million times.I said its okay.It wasn't really your mistake.I busted in there and the grudge I held against them for bullying me in school made me disregard all your attempts at trying to make me understand the situation.If you hadn't temporarily put me out of action,an innocent man might have been forced to face his death."After this both remained quite,contemplating.Snape saw that she was looking morose and asked,"Why so sad, Hermione?"Hermione took some time before answering."Nothing is allright,sir.Sirius is on the run,Pettigrew escaped,he might go and join his old master,help him come back to power,the world doesn't know the truth.I feel like I achieved nothing.I could do nothing right.I got you,Ron and Harry injured in the process and Professor Lupin is leaving his job....."Hermione couldn't go on and looked down.Snape came closer to her."Look Hermione,don't put everything on these small shoulders of yours.You did try your best to stop Pettigrew.I doubt whether he will be warmly welcomed among his peers since he had kept himself hidden as a rat all these years.But you did save Sirius as well as the Hippogriff from being executed,remember that.I must say,I too am sorry to see Lupin go but now that his secret is out,he'll face much scorn from the parents of the students here.Now,about your friends...lets just say,they must've known what they were signing up for when they became friends with Ms.Hermione Granger."he made Hermione smile."And as for me...this is nothing compared to what I face and will have to face..."he added aside,which Hermione didn't hear.He opened his desk drawer and brought out the Marauders map."I guess this will cheer you up."Hermione took it uncertainly,turning it over in her hand."Keep it."Snape urged."But sir,are you sure?I mean,I could use it to my advantage."Hermione said with a sly smile.Snape's eyes had a notorious glint,"Oh,I don't doubt it Ms.Granger.Best of luck for more of your..night-time adventures.But don't get yourself into too much trouble."Hermione grinned wickedly.Then she raised her hands up and leaned forward,about to hug him.His smile faded and Hermiome also stopped herself in midair and her hands dropped.Both were aware of the awkwardness of the situation and coloured slightly.Then Hermione mumbled a quick goodbye and practically ran away,leaving her professor reeling...............................................
Hermione boarded the home-bound Hogwarts express,lost in her own thoughts ,when an owl came pecking on their window.She let it in and it delivered her a letter that she came to know was from Sirius.He informed her that he was safe and was currently hiding,promised that they would meet soon,declared that he as her guardian was giving his permission for her to visit Hogsmeade in future and  added in the postscript that it was after all he,who had sent her the Firebolt as a 20 years worth of a gift from her godfather.Hermione put aside the letter thinking,Professor Snape was right afterall!