DÉNOUEMENT

Finally the truth. The inevitable. Lying with her face pressed into the dusty carpet of the office where she had once thought she was learning the secrets of victory, Hermione understood at last that she was not supposed to survive. Her job was to walk calmly into Death's welcoming arms. She decided to flung herself across Voldemort's path, just like he wanted, and not to even raise her wand to defend herself, so that the end would be clean, and the job that ought to have been done in Godric's Hollow would be finally finished. Neither could live while the other survived. 'Destiny' was acquiring a whole new meaning for her tonight. It was all prophesised. Her heart thumped loudly in her chest, demanding her attention. How strange that in the moment of death, she felt all the more alive. But the beats of the funeral drum pounding inside her were numbered. So many occasions had come when she had faced Death, she had lost count, but she had always managed to evade him. Her will to live had been so much stronger than her fear of death that it kept her going. Yet, now, it did not occur to her to try and escape; it was over; all that was left was dying. Would it hurt? Would it be so quick as she won't even know it happened or would Voldemort make it utterly torturous? Would he end it with one curse out of his Elder wand or would he make me suffer for days so that I'll literally be begging for death? That would be a shitty way to go...but death is death, there's no shittier way than another. This long walk to my own destruction would require a different kind of bravery. She envied her parents then. Atleast they died protecting someone they loved. Snape's face wafted into her mind. Even when I die, I can't guarantee his safety. Gradually everyone she loved and cared for came to her mind. Your death is not something that happens to you, it happens to everyone around you; it affects everyone else but you. Slowly she sat up. Of course there was a bigger plan- of all my reputation of being the so-called 'brightest witch of my age', I was too stupid not to see it. I failed to understand the implications in my own lover's words. How neat, how elegant, not to waste any more lives but to give the dangerous task to the one who was already marked to die; whose death would not be a calamity but another blow against the enemy. She stood up; her heart was leaping against her ribs like a frantic bird. Perhaps it knew it had little time left, perhaps it was determined to fulfil a lifetime's beats before the end. But she was adamant. I would not let anyone else die for me now that I have discovered it is in my power to stop it. My only solace is I will see Severus once before I die. I wish he did not have to see my demise- I don't know how he would take it. But atleast I will get to see him. I need to look him in the eye one last time before I cease to exist. I'll take the black from his eyes as I go. Like rain on a cold window, the thoughts pattered against the hard surface of the incontrovertible truth, which was that she must die. Her breath came slow and deep and her mouth and throat were completely dry, but so were her eyes. She took the first step towards the door. "Hermione..."Dumbledore's portrait called out from behind but he had nothing to say. She did not look back as she closed the door.......................
Walking down the deserted hallways, she felt like a ghost strolling through the castle. It was as if she was already dead. Maybe because she had accepted her fate and was solely concentrating on the task at hand that there was no spare space left for emotions. She was like a ghost in a shell. She decided then that there would be no more goodbyes. If she went to meet her friends, the boys would never let her go, they won't understand the necessity of her giving up her life and narrating the whole story to them only meant loss of precious time. And the hour granted to her by Voldemort was nearly over. So instead of turning towards the great hall where everyone was, she slipped past it to the main gate. But she ran into Neville, who was removing some of the bodies that lay under the rubble in front of the gates, in order to clear the path. "Hey.."he said weakly, trying to stay upbeat but Hermione could clearly see the fatigue and trepidation in his face. She looked down at his feet and among the mangled bodies, was Colin Creevey. Neville followed her gaze and he took a moment to realise it but he correctly interpreted her intentions. "Where you goin'? Not to give yourself up to him, are you?" Hermione just looked up sadly to his face,not negating him. He looked behind her,"Where's Harry and Ron? We can't let you go. You don't have to do this." Hermione shook her head, not at all pleased with the idea that she might have to magic him out of the way again, just like she had done in her fist year. But they were adults now and he respected her decision. She pushed past him and he didn't try to offer much resistance, although he wasn't very willing. "No.I have to do it. It's what was destined to happen. I don't have the time to make you understand everything. Tell Harry and Ron that it's the snake; that's the last one. They'll know what I'm talking about. And then it's just Him."she half-exclaimed and half-mumbled, knowing that she probably wasn't making any sense to him. Neville powerlessly watched her go, realising that nothing could change her mind. "You propagated the idea of a world free of the tyranny of Voldemort. Colin Creevey died still believing in that idea!"he shouted after her. "Well he was mistaken!"Hermione shouted back and wiping a single tear, she said,"I'm no leader. I'm no hero. I wasn't meant to win this war. I was meant to end with it." She turned and quickened her pace. No more holding back. Now the only thing to look forward to is the future- or lack thereof. Her trembling legs brought her to the edge of the forest. Why was it always that I find myself standing at the precipice? Even though there was noone around, she pushed her hands deep into her pockets to keep them from shaking. There is noone. I am utterly alone. But I need to stay strong. Remember: fear cuts deeper than swords........................
In the clearing in the depths of the forest, this time, Voldemort was pacing impatiently while Snape was seated on a rock. Although he was worried sick and was sweating bullets, he kept himself from fidgeting. "No one's coming, My Lord."Greyback informed trying to pick up a scent from the air. Bellatrix gave an angry grunt and kicked at the nearby hedges as her bloodlust remained insatiated. Snape's heart leaped momentarily. Perhaps she decided to not do this after all. Perhaps she was talked out of it. Has she had time to look into the pensieve? Dumbledore presumed she would come willingly once she got to know the whole truth. Perhaps he underestimated her- she was not going to die till the job was done. The snake is still left. Or is she counting on someone else to finish it? No. She's not coming. She is delaying death for now. But for how long? As the last grains of the sand in the hourglass slipped down to join their partners, Voldemort gave a long sigh. "Of all the things, I did not take her for a wimp. But it seems she has chickened out." "No, she hasn't!" Welcomed by gasps and hoots, Hermione came out from the shadows, stepping carefully over the entraping ropes of tree roots and bushy undergrowth. Snape jumped to his feet, screaming in his head. No! The other death-eaters laughed and cheered like maniacs as ironically the deer had walked into the den of the lion. Hermione stood defiantly, looking her nemesis straight in the eyes, but didn't so much as raise her wand. Voldemort also stood there unsmiling; perhaps contemplating that how could this be so easy or maybe thinking of ways to finally end his archenemy. Snape could only stare transfixed at his lover, who had come to end not only her life but his as well, for they meant the one and the same to him. Didn't I always tell you Hermione, that you'll be the death of me? He tried to sneak into her mind but she wouldn't let him in. Instead she slowly turned ,rested her eyes on him and did the utterly unexpected- she smiled. And that was the spookiest smile he had ever seen; it was the smile of one who had been enlightened to the truth of life. It was a smile that would haunt him forever- forever being the brief time he was about to stay alive for. He tried to communicate through his eyes. Don't do this. Go back. She assured him with a blink. It's okay. You may think it's not, but it is what it is. It is what's meant to be. Voldemort began speaking and the clamour fell silent. "I, Lord Voldemort was prophesised to meet my end at the hands of this mudblood." He went around the crowd, pointing at Hermione and scoffing as though the whole idea was utterly ridiculous. Hermione bit her lip and looked at the ground, fisting her hands. "Look how the tables have turned," Voldemort stood in front of her again, although feets apart,"Hermione Granger- the girl who lived- come to die." Hermione stared at him unblinking, her jaw set.
"You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies.
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
You may shoot me with your words
You may cut me with your eyes
You may kill me with your hatefulness
But still, like air, I'll rise." There was pin drop silence following this utterance and it was as if electricity was charging through the atmosphere. Snape saw the fire in her eyes and it seemed like heat was radiating off of her body. Voldemort's face contorted as he mashed his teeth together. Just when Snape was feeling renewed affection and fervor for his beloved, Voldemort's words cut through his heart, leaving it in smithereens. "Avada Kedavra!"
"Noooooooooooooooooooooo!"Snape shouted, his voice screeching till his throat was chafed. He forgot he had to stay in character, he forgot his duties, he forgot everything else. He could only experience the reality of the green flames erupting out of Voldemort's wand and hitting Hermione. All of them were momentarily blinded as they were engulfed by the fluorescent bright emerald light, but as it died down, they witnessed the Dark Lord had staggered back and tripped down onto the ground while Hermione had been blasted off her feet and lay several feets away, her face away from them, dead and unmoving. Snape's legs gave way and he sank down to the ground, his vision blurry as long held-back tears finally burst out. "Is she dead?"Voldemort asked impatiently, while being helped up by his loyal Bella. Narcissa went to check and after sometime confirmed in the affirmative. Snape's body heaved as more tears came out and a guttural wounded bestial sound escaped his throat, almost like a gag. Yes, it's all over. She's gone. I've lost her forever. After Narcissa made the announcement, there was an eruption of cheers. Only Snape remained in his place, feeling like clawing at his skin and tearing open his chest to wrench his heart out. Voldemort got to his feet and stared thoughtfully at his wand. Then his gaze went to the mourning Snape. The others, were already beginning to be skeptical about his sudden reversal of allegiance and outburst of emotions for the one he had scorned all his life. Now they looked towards their lord to see what he would do. Snape didn't care anymore. He didn't know how long he could bear this pain, how long he would be able to breath the air of the earth that was devoid of Hermione. He wanted to get it over with. He was willing to welcome death as an exemption. Voldemort looked at the distraught being at his feet and grinned victoriously. But his grin changed to a sneer,"Did you really think that I was naive enough to be ensnared by your false pretences? Were you truly under the impression that I bought every distorted truth that you so vehemently belied?" He laughed maliciously and encouraged his followers to join in. "I unmasked your perjury early enough. I was merely observing how deep a pit you could dig for yourself. I thought long about how to punish you for your double-crossing and I hope this is perfect. Attacking the heart is the best way to go about it. I mean what's more painful than bearing witness to the untimely demise of one's beloved? But seriously, though, Severus. I expected better....you falling for that mewling quim?" Snape threw him a look with his bloodshot eyes but he refused to grace him with a retort. He did not want to prolong the moment, he wanted to be reunited with his lover on the other side. Voldemort strolled around as if merely explaining a solution. "I was gonna kill you anyway, since the elder wand can't truly be mine until it's previous owner was killed. You killed Dumbledore, making you it's lawful owner. I thought of giving you this infliction as a chastening." Snape wasn't even listening to him anymore; he was looking up at the stars and felt himself drifting. The next words were barely audible to him. "Nagini. Kill!" The great snake sinking it's teeth into his flesh copiously, felt like a sting of a hornet compared to the wound he had received previously. He fell flat on his back, crippled, his last ounce of strength leaving his body, while his life was gearing up to do the same. But he felt no physical agony. Mortally he felt nothing. How can you take something from a man who had already lost everything? Perhaps his life was the only thing he had to give and now that he had, he felt peace. As his eyes rolled back into his head, he spied the ghostly figure of Voldemort looking down on him, "Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same."