THE YULE BALL

"The Yule Ball is first and foremost a dance."This information from McGonagall attracted lots of chatter from the students."Now,I don't want you to behave like a bunch of babbling bumbling band of baboons!"McGonagall was trying to train them about the upcoming dance party to be held at Hogwarts.Afterwards she motioned for Hermione to have a talk in Dumbledore's office,where Cedric was too.McGonagall explained,"As the champions,you four would walk out on the dance floor first and would be escorted by your respective house heads.Now since it's a dance you need to have a teacher of the opposite sex for partner.So I can't dance with you,Granger.So you may wanna choose some other teacher-""I choose Professor Snape."Hermione quickly retorted and then blushed.McGonagall rolled her eyes,smirking,"As expected.Maybe you should let him know about this.And dress appropriately,both of you;remember you are representing Hogwarts."she said to Hermione and Cedric and sent them away......................
"Are you sure about this?"Snape asked when Hermione let him know."Do you have any problem with going to the ball with me?"Hermione asked him,giving an expression of being hurt.He held both of her hands."It'll be my honour.But Hermione...are you comfortable with going out with me in front of everyone?I don't want anyone eyeing you badly.And with those ridiculous articles written by Skeeter in the prophet about you playing with the feelings of Harry,Ron and Crum,and now people would suspect me too;I don't want them pointing at you as some sort of a female philanderer."Hermione pressed his hands strongly,"I don't care about people talking,they do little else anyways.I just want to take this opportunity to bask in your arms.I wonder if I'll ever get such a chance again."Saying this she pressed her lips to his..................................
On the evening of the ball Hermione fussed over her gown and hair.Her gown was a gorgeous pink cinderella cut off-shoulder bodice with a low cut back and she had done an elegant hairdo with pins studded with pearls in her hair and she was wearing matching teardrop pearl earrings and locket.She brushed her face with makeup and stepped into some heels with laces tied around her legs.She took a deep breath,composed the nerves and stepped out of the common room...............................
At the foot of the stairs,Snape was fussing over his greasy hair,that he had desperately tried to shampoo-clean and smoothed out his pocket-square.All the other champions stood ready with their respective partners and he felt a little worried that Hermione might be late.But he didn't let his anxiety show on his face.Suddenly he heard muffled gasps around him and he followed the eyes to the top of the staircase where a lady was standing.A smile broke out on his face,despite his best intentions seeing that it was his Hermione.Her dress ruffled around her as she stepped carefully down the stairs and he stood admiring her pristine beauty.She had a peachy glow about her face,her hair was tied up but loose strands caressed her bare shoulders and she didn't look at him till she was halfway down.But when she did,it was with love and Snape thought she was looking like a dream."You dressed up nicely."she told him after joining him."Please!Did you take a look at the absolute beauty that you are?It's your last chance to find some other partner,Hermione.You don't want to make our relation public just yet but frankly,I don't know how I can keep my hands off you tonight."Snape retorted and Hermione glowed more than ever.They positioned themselves at the entrance to the Great Hall and Hermione put her arms through her professor's."Don't let me fall."she whispered to him nervously."Never."he assured her.They walked in to great applause from the people and went straight to the dance floor.A moment's hushed silence ensued as the men put their hands on the women's back and the women put their hands on the men's shoulder.Hermione trembled slightly as Snape's hand touched her bare back.He smirked and said,"Shall we begin?"The music started and so did they.Snape led her around though not very fast and Hermione soon got accustomed to the rhythm and everyone was struck by their grace and elegance.Others joined in gradually and as Hermione spun around she saw Harry and Ginny giving her thumbs up while dancing,Cedric dancing with Cho,McGonagall and Dumbledore having a go at dancing,Ron getting dragged to opposite sides at the same time by Lavender and Parvati,and all in all,everyone was having a good time.After their dance was over Hermione danced with Neville for whom she felt bad because he didn't have a partner and also with Hagrid who almost flew her around.Then she just stood in the sidelines and watched everyone when she caught the cologne of her lover."Venus would be envious of you tonight,Hermione.You are looking out of this world."Snape said in her ear."Oh stop it.I'm exhausted by now,my hair is unkempt,I'm perspiring and I must smell awful!"she said,flustered."Nonsense!You look ravishing-"But he was interrupted by a sneery voice,"Care to join me for a dance Severus?"Hermione clenched her jaw seeing that it was Madame Malkin.Malkin put her arms through Snape's without asking for his permission and started dragging him."You have played with your barbie doll long enough.Let me show you how it is done.And maybe later you wanna ditch the child and sneak out to my room?"she gave a hyena-like laugh.Hermione had tolerated enough.She grasped Snape's hand firmly and pulling him back she growled in a dangerous voice,"Get your hands off my man!You might not want to run your pretty manicured nails over his body cause I'll break them.He is mine,do you understand?!"Malkin's hands dropped in shock and Hermione marched off the hall with Snape in tow.He pulled her into a nearby empty classroom and latched his mouth on hers."I do like it when you claim me as yours."he breathed in between kisses."I am yours as you are mine."Hermione managed to say while gasping for breath."I am yours as you are mine."Snape agreed.He let her go,then wiped his mouth thinking that there might be traces of her lipstick there but she told him that she had applied a spell over it so it wouldn't smudge.He smirked and they both left separately to not arouse suspicion.Hermione was about to go to her friends when she was approached by Victor Crum."Will you honour me with this dance,Ms.Granger?"he asked,much to the jealousy of many girls in the hall.Hermione agreed,thinking what bad could happen out of this but she felt Snape's eyes boring into her back."You look beautiful."Crum complimented."Thanks."she mechanically replied."You've been performing admirably in the tournament.I've been observing you."he said."So have you.And best of luck for the next one."she said,breezing over the fact that he had been stalking her.After a few minutes he said,"My attentions have been too obvious to be overlooked.I like you Hermione."She got uncomfortable,"Umm..is that so?I-I appreciate it.""Maybe you'd like to get a drink with me,after the dance?"he said enthusiastically.She tried to decline but he insisted and led her to the bar and ordered two drinks.Hermione was looking for an escape so that she didn't notice Crum putting something in her drink."Here drink up."he pushed the glass in her hand and as she took the first gulp,she didn't remember anything clearly after that..........................................
Snape had been engaged in conversation with Dumbledore while keeping one eye at Hermione and Crum.One moment they were dancing together and the next he saw him handing her a drink,but then some people obstructed his vision and when they cleared away,he saw their seats were vacant.Immediately Snape got concerned and started looking for Hermione.He trotted down the corridor and after going a few paces he saw in a darkened pathway,Crum forcing himself on Hermione,who was feebly trying to push him away saying 'No'.He ground his teeth together and put his hands behind his back,"I think the lady said 'No'."Crum stopped and looked irritably at him and was too inebriated to even recognise who he was talking to.Snape flicked his wand at him so he was blasted off her,and then shoved him by the collar to Karkaroff who arrived at the scene."Keep your boys away from our students."he ordered.Karkaroff took Crum away and Snape checked on Hermione.She was sobbing a little and was clearly under the influence of some sort of a drug.He took her up in his arms and carried her to his room."He..he tried to slip me a love potion earlier this week,too."she sniffed,while putting her arms around his neck."That bastard!He didn't know he was messing with my girl."Snape grumbled.He laid her down on his bed."First,let's get you out of those ridiculous shoes."saying this he bent down to undo the laces of her shoes,put them away and then pulled the pins out out hair, freeing them,so she could lay her head on the pillow.He sighed when he saw her going off to sleep.Could everyone just give her a break?Poor thing...He pulled the blanket over her and left to have a talk with Dumbledore about this.When he returned,he saw that she was sleeping with her back towards him.He got out of his frock-coat and pants,put on a black nightsuit and pulled the blanket off as he got into bed.Hermione woke with a start but he put a hand on her arm to assure her,"Don't worry,its just me."She was relieved and snuggled in closer to him."I talked to Dumbledore about what happened.Crum officially apologised and they have no strong reason to disqualify him from the tournament.I can't believe he still insists on continuing the tournament,after that Crouch Jr. revealed himself and said that the dark lord is conspiring to return."Hermione nuzzled his neck,"Don't take so much tension.It'll be alright.I'll be fine."But Snape knew she was still under the effect of the drug,which meant she didn't know what she was saying."Are you okay,now?"he asked after a few moments."Mmm."she replied."You must be tired.Are you feeling sleepy?Are you okay with sleeping here?"he asked."Mmmm."she replied again.Snape smirked,"Can you say anything apart from 'Mmm'?" Hermione without opening her eyes said,"Mmmm."He chuckled and held her close and for the first time fell asleep like a baby,holding his life in his hands.