CANDOR

Hermione took the help of Neville,on Moody's suggestion,to chew on a gillyweed to acquire webbed hands and fins for feet to get through the next task of the tournament.Having won the previous task she had the advantage of diving closer to the area in the Black lake where her friend Ginny was hidden but she came last as she had to save Fleur's sister too.But because of this brave deed,she was awarded second place.After the task Hermione was in a jolly mood while going up to the castle,but she found her way blocked by the tall figure of Snape."Congratulations."he sneered,like he wasn't happy about it at all.Hermione was a little taken aback but she said 'thank you' anyway.But he didn't step aside."It was a stroke of brilliance,coming up with the idea of using gillyweed."he said.Hermione said sheepishly,"Well..I didn't come up with it by myself.Neville helped.He's so great at Herbology.Professor Moody suggested-""That's okay but stealing out of the Hogwarts storeroom is not."Snape said sternly.Hermione looked up innocently at him."Professor Sprout reported earlier today that gillyweed had been stolen from the Herbology storage of Hogwarts.Are you making a habit out of this Hermione?"Snape told her.She was confused,"What are you saying?Neville got me that stuff,I know nothing about it!And what do you mean by 'making a habit out of this'?Are you trying to imply that...I've stolen before too?I never-"But Snape crossed his arms over his chest saying,"Don't lie to me,Hermione."She was in despair,"I'm not lying!I would never lie to you!Why would I..."But Snape swirled his robes around and walked away...................................................
Snape was returning to his room after discussing about the thievery with Dumbledore, when he caught Hermione sticking her head out of his door to check whether anyone was in the corridor,then quietly sneaking out with something hidden in her hand.He fumed up in rage.She's stealing again!But what can she possibly be doing that she needs to steal this many times?He reached upto her from behind and caught her arm in a pincer-like grip."What are you hiding there?"Hermione jumped at this sudden assault but she didn't want to tell him,"No.It's nothing.Let me go.""Show me!"he demanded and wrenched her fist open.But he dropped her hand when he saw that it was a tampon."Geez,Professor Snape,what is wrong with you?"Hermione asked,snatching her hand away."I came down here to talk to you,but since you were late I thought I'll do this private thing first.It's just a...Jesus Christ!I was just trying to have a private moment,or am I not allowed to even do that?!"she asked annoyed.Snape was truly embarrassed,"I'm..I'm really s-sorry.""You know,I believed you,in that Malkin incident.I trusted you more than what I saw with my own eyes.So is it so wrong of me to expect the same thing in return?All I want is a little faith,because I've done nothing to deserve otherwise!"Hermione said through angry tears and stomped away.................................
"I just don't understand why he is behaving like that!What have I done to make him think I've started stealing?"Hermione vented out to Moody,who had found her walking down the corridor,biting down angry tears."Stealing?Stealing what?"Moody asked nervously."Gillyweed.And also potions ingredients,I suppose."Hermione replied.He jumped up and started looking for his wineskin, which he had been frequently seen sipping out of;but when he found it,he saw that it was empty,so he started shovelling through his drawers and cabinets."Is he suspecting someone of making polyjuice potion?"he asked in fear."I..don't think...he said anything specific."said Hermione,finding it odd that he would jump to that conclusion.He continued searching without meeting her eyes,"Tell me about that dream of the graveyard,you've been having Granger.What is the Dark Lord like in your subconscious?"Now Hermione was really suspicious,"I don't recall telling you anything about those dreams that I've been having,Professor."In fact,she remembered she hadn't even told Snape about them.She stood up and looked at his face,"Who are you?"Moody grunted,"I am not this pathetic cripple who's identity I've stolen.I am a servant of the Dark Lord."Hermione's eyes grew wide as she realised everything,"You put my name in the Goblet of fire?You've been trying to get me killed ever since the start of this year?You are behind everything.""Foolish girl!I've not been trying to kill you.I had to preserve you to place you right at the feet of my Lord.Do you not remember me telling you to talk to Hagrid so that you came to know about the dragons?Do you think that flurburbura Longbottom would have been able to supply you with the gillyweed if I hadn't stolen it for him?"Moody laughed maliciously."Oh my God!You stole the gillyweed and you stole those ingredients to make the polyjuice potion!"Hermione accused disbelievingly."My lord had ordered me to bring you safely to him but now that my secret is out,I believe I have no choice.I'm gonna have to kill you!"said Moody and threw a curse at her,but Hermione jumped aside.He kept hexing her but she ducked out of the way and used his desk as a shield,from where she threw counter-curses at him.Suddenly the door burst open and in strode Dumbledore,McGonagall and Snape.Dumbledore blasted Moody,or the imposter,off and he was thrown off his feet.Snape rushed to help Hermione up and pushed her securely behind him while he glared at her attacker.As Dumbledore held him at the point of his wand,the man morphed back to his usual self right before their eyes."Barty Crouch Jr."McGonagall gasped."He is a death eater.He is supposed to have been locked up in Askaban after he was found guilty many years ago."she told for Hermione's benefit."That's him...He was the one who produced the dark mark that night after the quidditch world cup.That's the man I saw in my dream,talking to Voldemort!"Hermione told them.Crouch Jr.bared his teeth at her,"You dare speak his name,you little Mudblood!You would face your death at his hands very soon."Snape made a move but Dumbledore jabbed his wand at Crouch's throat."Where is the real Alastor?What have you done with him?"He admitted to have kept him locked up in a magically enlarged box.Dumbledore picked his wineskin up and smelled it."Polyjuice potion.He has been sipping out of it all this time.And we thought it was the bourbon Moody drank all the time....Well now we know who the real thief is,Severus."Dumbledore said.Snape's brain whirled as he did the math.The dissappearance of the ingredients right after Hermione left Slughorn's room was just a coincidence.And that blonde hair,I assumed it was Hermione's,but now I realise,Moody has blonde hair too.That hair must have got stuck there when he broke into my office.Hermione didn't steal..I just assumed she did.He stole the gillyweed too;he has been doing this all year.And I blamed..her...for everything.Oh dear God,what have I done!He looked sideways at Hermione,who looked back at him, her nostrils flaring.She pushed his hand away from her arm and walked out of the room.McGonagall sighed and placed her hand on Snape's shoulder,"We'll take it from here,Severus.You should go after her;I think you owe someone an apology."