LIGHT UP THE SKIES

[ I cried while composing this chapter- hope you feel the same. Severus Snape deserved so much but got so little. Let's raise our wands together for him😢 ]

After having an elaborate photoshoot, they sat down to eat, drink and celebrate in the Great Hall. Hermione passed her eyes on everyone present and basked in the feeling of good fortune, surrounded by friends and family. She saw her relatives looking around queerly at all the witches and wizards and hesitantly forking their food, Lupin was cheerfully talking with Charlie Weasley, Kingsley was sharing some words of wisdom while Percy listened intently, George and Ron were talking animatedly and amusing the entire table, Hagrid raised his tankard towards her and she looked at Snape beside her, who smiled back with content, all tension gone and his features relaxed. Many of the others observed that the newlyweds couldn't look away from each-other for more than a few seconds and they blushed and looked away. Hermione looked over at the Malfoys; they were quitely tucking into their food, afraid they might be met with harshness from those they had done wrong but thankfully all interactions between them and any other had been civil. Of course, Hermione had wasted no time in thanking them for coming, as soon as the ceremony was over and although Snape did not say anything, he stood by her the entire time. As she watched them, she saw Draco fidget a little, apparently anxious about his best man speech. The head-waiter tapped a spoon on a glass to get everyone's attention. "Pray silence for the best man." There were light claps as Draco stood up and cleared his throat. Snape gave a sigh. Please don't say something obnoxious and ruin this. "Ladies and gentlemen, family and friends...and erm...others."Draco began and then gave a prolonged awkward pause. Lucius shifted in his chair uncomfortably, Narcissa buried her face further into her chest, Snape looked at his former student a little concerned but Hermione clasped a hand over his, to tell him it would be allright. Seeing all the guests watching him, Draco jolted out of his blankness,"Right. First thing's first- Telegrams. Well, they're not actually telegrams, we just call them telegrams. I don't know why. Wedding tradition, I s'pose. Apparently we don't have enough of that already."he said sarcastically. Snape closed his eyes and clenched his jaw. This was exactly what he was afraid of; Draco had been forced into this and this could be his chance at revenge. He downed the glass of champagne in front of him. Brace yourselves. This speech is going to be a disaster! " 'To Severus and Hermione, so sorry I couldn't be with you on your special day. Good luck and best wishes- Elphias Doge.', 'Severus and Hermione, lots of love and (makes a face) big, squishy cuddles from Madam Rosmerta.', 'Oodles of love and well wishes- Mrs.Figg.' "Draco started shuffling through the cards rapidly, dropping each one on the table with positive distaste only after a glance," 'special day'...'very special day'... so many Xs and Os...whatever that means...'love', 'love', 'love', 'lo-' well you get the gist. People are basically fond." Hermione was now worried that his intention was truly to insult them and all those who were sharing in on their happiness while Snape was deliberating whether he should get up and make him stop. People were looking at each-other and then back at him curiously, but Draco continued, now a lot more at ease. "When Professor Snape- well it was Hermione actually, ( Hermione nearly spat out her drink which she was sipping nervously, hearing her once-rival mention her by her first name for the very first time) , first broached the subject of being best man, I was confused. I confess, I didn't realise that they were seriously asking me. When I finally understood, I expressed that I was both flattered and surprised. I explained that I never expected this request and was a little daunted in the face of it. Nonetheless, I promised that I'd do my very best to accomplish a task, which was, for me, as demanding and difficult I had ever contemplated. Additionally, I thanked them for the trust they placed in me, even after everything that had happened, and indicated that I was in some ways, very close to being moved by it." Snape and Hermione exchanged a look of incredulousness, unable to remember having such a conversation. Draco looked at them and smirked,"It later transpired that I had said none of this out loud." Everyone laughed at this and relaxed smirks broke out on the couple's faces too. Draco was finally driving on the right track. "Indeed any reputation I have for mental acquity or skill at wand-waving, comes in truth, from the guidance that Profes- Severus has so selflessly provided all my life."he looked down at his professor and actual tears could be detected in his eyes,"I know I'm a spoiled brat- and also a jerk, but the only rope that was thrown to me in order to pull myself up from complete annihilation was your comstant mentorship. And though we may not be friends, you said so yourself, that you did save my life. And so did your wife." He passed his eyes to Hermione,"Hermione, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I'm capable."he looked down and adressed the both of them,"You have endured war, injury and tragic loss. I don't think I've ever begged your forgiveness. Neither have I thanked you for everything. So here I am, the man you've saved literally from selling his soul to the devil. I can't begin to tell you- in this short speech I can barely even scratch the surface- but I want you to know, how grateful I truly am." Snape whispered to Hermione,"If I try to hug him- stop me." "I certainly will, if you won't!"Hermione whispered back animatedly. Draco raised his glass,"Everyone, pray charge your glasses and be upstanding." Everyone happily followed suit. "A wedding is, in my considered opinion, nothing short of a celebration of all that is false and specious and irrational and sentimental in this ailing and morally compromised world."
Uh oh. Don't milk that good speech.
"But love like yours transcended all rationality, practicality and margins of purity, showing the world the true meaning of it. Let's hear it for the bride and groom!" The couple finally let out a sigh of relief as they toasted together. Draco's speech had been like a pendulum, swinging back and forth between good and bad, but he had finished on a happy note. They then cut the cake.