ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

"Absolutely not! Are you mad?"Hermione stopped midway through her dressing to gape at the phone when Snape let her know what they were to do after their visit to Hogwarts. On the other end, Snape let out an inaudible sigh so as not to let Hermione know, but he had predicted this reaction. And he was afraid of being on the receiving end of her temper, so he chose to do this over the phone when Hermione had gone back to the Weasleys'. But somehow, he had to convince her. "Don't be like that love-" "No. It's not like I'm being unreasonable. My uncle and aunt have been nothing but horrendous to me my entire life! Why would you suggest that we pay them a visit before starting our life together?"Hermione tried to make sense to him. "I want to take their blessings. Hermione, neither of us have any parents and the closest of kin that you have are Mr. and Mrs.Dursley. They have been your guardians-" "They are far from being that."Hermione tried to argue but she knew she was losing. And Snape knew it too, so he started with a new vigour,"But they are still our elders and it's important for me to have their good wishes before we go down this journey." Hermione sighed and muttered under her breath,"Don't you think they would rather spit on us than utter words of well wishes?" Snape chose to ignore that and continued,"I'm going to formally ask your hand for marriage, as you know is tradition and I'm nothing if not traditional. Please Hermione, if not for anyone else,do it for me." Oh yeah, it's traditional. It's ancient!Hermione groaned, knowing that he could make her do anything if he said it like that. He told her that she was obviously ignoring a difficult and sensitive issue for her convenience and that they shouldn't leave any loose ends behind. She hated it when he was smugfully right and after considering for a while she muttered a reluctant,"Oh allright then." She could feel him grinning victoriously through the phone and shook her head. "Okay, then. I'll meet you at Hogwarts. Love you."he chirped and Hermione disconnected the call. She was still annoyed with him for already sending the letter without first discussing with her and so she didn't say 'I love you' back. She bit her lip thinking that she too was planning on doing something that, most likely, he wouldn't like either. She threw away the clothes that she was thinking about wearing and chose more formal ones. I have to show them that I mean business. I would'nt take shit from them. She stared at the clothes lying on the bed and had an inkling that all this was a very bad idea..............................
Hermione apparated to Hogwarts where Snape was already waiting and they linked arms while walking up to the castle. Hermione still didn't smile, although he did, but he didn't mind; he knew he was asking much of her and was just glad she had consented. They looked around the place; there wasn't really much trace left of the battle, everything had been renovated and the castle was as good as new, or rather as old as it ever was. Hermione's mood became better breathing in the smell of home. They went up the spiral-staircase to Dumbledore's office-now McGonagall's. A grey cat was playing around with a ball of wool. "Minerva, you're clearly too old for this. And you are Headmistress now, for God's sake!"Snape said rolling his eyes. The cat took a running start and transfigured in a flash. "Ah!"McGonagall said coming back to her real form,"Look who it is! I was so happy on getting the news of your betrothal. Show me the ring." She came forward and Hermione put her hand out for her to see. McGonagall clapped and put her hand over her mouth but she failed to conceal her squeal. Hermione couldn't keep a straight face watching her enthusiasm. "I'm so glad you finally got to have this. You deserve it." McGonagall told through tears and hugged them both. Then they sat down to get the paperworks out of the way. "So when is the wedding?"McGonagall asked, after they were done. Hermione said,"Um, we haven't really decided anything.." "Only we've agreed to have the ceremony here."Snape finished. "Wonderful!"McGonagall clapped her hands together,"And when are you planning on joining us back, Severus?" Snape looked at Hermione before speaking,"I don't know...maybe I won't be." Hermione stared at him. Although he had enough money to sit on his ass for the rest of his life but he wasn't such a slothful person. McGonagall was equally confused. But Snape urged Hermione,"You go ahead, I'll take a moment to talk to Minerva okay? Come on, I shan't be long." Hermione closed the door behind herself and shrugged, thinking that maybe she could visit Hagrid while they were here. But she couldn't get past the corridor when she came face-to-face with her ex-rival. "Malfoy,"she blinked, not yet prepared to say the things she wanted when she saw him. Malfoy looked equally at a loss of words and had gone pale but for the first time he acknowledged her presence courteously,"Granger." The greetings were left hanging in the air and they both just stared at each other, the occurrences of the day just a week ago crashing like waves through both of their minds. "How are you?"Hermione asked uncertainly. There was a flash of fury in his eyes. "How do you think?" She bit her lip and looked down. Death-eaters were being arrested everywhere around the world; maybe the Malfoys had evaded it till now with their monetary power but it was only a matter of time- no wonder they were being harassed. "I'm here to get McGonagall to sign some papers..to pardon my family."Malfoy said,"Haven't we had enough? You left us fit for nowhere. We don't wanna be included in all this anymore-" "I was under the impression that we were going to forget about all that. How can you be still holding a grudge?"Hermione tried to stay as calm as possible, although she wanted to say 'You chose the wrong side, dude!'. Malfoy scoffed,"Easy for you to say. You are the 'saviour of the world', you have the perfect life and from what I gather, a perfect lover too and friends to cheerlead you even if you take a shit! You won't have a problem in your career either, everywhere you go they would be honoured to have you." Hermione flared her nostrils; she had wanted to calmly discuss something with him and she didn't like the sarcastic jab in his words. "I wanted to let you know that- that Professor Sn- that Severus and I are engaged." Malfoy blinked rapidly, dumbfounded,"Engaged!? To- to be married?" She rolled her eyes exasperatedly,"Yes, of course! What other kind of 'engaged' is there?"then she carried on in a calmer tone,"Listen, this is clearly not the right way to discuss this. I need to have a talk with your parents too; maybe I should come to your house-" Hermione tried to walk past him, holding off the conversation till he was in a rational mood but Malfoy gripped her arm. "What do you mean? You stay away from my family. We want nothing to do with you!" "Let go-"Hermione tried to struggle out of his grasp.
"DRACO!"a voice bellowed from the other end of the corridor. Malfoy's hand dropped when they both turned to see Snape treading down towards them, his eyes burning. He looked at Hermione once to check whether she was okay and then rounded on him. "If you ever touch my fiancée again-" "No, Severus, he didn't do anything."Hermione put a hand on his bicep to restrain him. Malfoy looked guiltyly down but still his jaw was flexed. She so did not wanna do it like this but she had no choice, the situation was going out of control and an impromptu duel could break out at any moment. "I said something that might've set him off,"Hermione confessed,"I was about to request Draco to be your Best Man." Both men looked at her with the most incredulous expressions. They both failed to utter words, so Hermione explained,"As we all know, the groom's side is looking a bit thin and the only acquaintances he has is your family. Come on Draco, he practically protected you with his life. I know you hate my guts but maybe, do it for his sake. Atleast consider it, please?" Malfoy just gaped at her while Snape was about to protest but she gave him a look implying that he hadn't given her a choice about meeting her aunt and uncle either; and besides she was doing this with him in mind, so that in the midst of all the friends surrounding her, he didn't feel alone. "'Tying loose ends'- remember?"she reminded him. Snape closed his mouth again and neither did Malfoy respond but Hermione was satisfied that he didn't outwardly refuse to her face. Finally Snape spoke. "Hermione, my dear, would you excuse us for a minute? I need to speak with Draco, alone." Hermione was dubious,"Severus..?" "It'll be allright."there was such authority in his voice that Hermione thought the ex-accomplices were best left alone to discuss the matter. She decided she would visit Hagrid after all and walked away...................................................
The couple apparated to a deserted street at Surrey and then walked down Private Drive together so as not to give the Dursleys the fright of their lives by suddenly climbing out of their fireplace. "I still think this is a bad idea."Hermione shook her head. "Maybe you're not exaggerating, but we need to get this out of the way."Snape said, looking rather amused, to Hermione's annoyance. "I can't believe we are fighting because of them! They don't mean anything to me."she half-shouted. Snape carried on in his calm voice,"It's not a fight unless you make it one. Hermione we've been through this- it's important to me, because you are important to me." "I know you're trying to act like the perfect gentleman that you are but they are seriously going to test your limits."she told him."They are one of the most obnoxious and downright mean people I've ever had the misfortune of getting acquainted to." "Aren't all families messed up in their own way?"he counterpointed,"Had Sirius been alive, I would've asked him instead. But since he's gone, they are the closest thing to a family to you." Hermione couldn't believe he was playing the Sirius-card now. She also wanted to tell him that the closest thing to a family for her were the Weasleys but she didn't want to break his belief that she was capable of hating someone that much. They were nearly at the Dursleys' doorstep now and Hermione had one move left before they crossed the threshold. "Allright, but one unkind word out of any of their mouths and I'm getting outta there and I'll drag you out by the collar if I have to." Snape squeezed her hands and said seriously,"Don't worry. I'm not gonna let them get away with hurting you in any way." "Do you think I care about me? It's not me I'm concerned about- it's you. Gosh, they have been inhuman towards me all my life, I've grown used to it. But I can't stand if they slander you in any way! I certainly won't tolerate them demeaning the bravest, most loyal and honourable man I've ever known." Snape put his hand on both sides of her head and pressed his lips to hers. "Everything would be fine."he assured her and pressed the doorbell. Hermione held onto his hand to make it quite clear what he meant to her and thanked god she had put a charm over her lipstick so that it wouldn't be smudged onto his lips when they kissed. The last thing I want is for them to see my lipstick all over his mouth! Vernon Dursley opened the door, equipped with a frown, which deepened upon seeing them. He passed his eyes from one to the other a tad too long and without a word of welcome, just stepped aside to let them enter. Petunia was standing to receive them in the passage that led to the drawing room and she didn't smile or utter a word either. After a brief pause it was Snape who extended his hand first. "Mr.Dursley, Mrs.Dursley." Uncle Vernon just stared at his hand, like he was being asked to touch wet food in the sink and he looked at Hermione with the same frown, the nerve at his temple throbbing. In her mind, Hermione dared him to insult her fiancé by denying him even a handshake and was considering leaving right that instant, when her uncle raised his hand and shook Snape's, grunting in response. Another silence followed where both women were looking towards their men wondering what to do next. Suddenly, a series of thuds were heard upstairs and Dudley came running down the stairs shouting,"Hermione!" He stopped at the foot of the stairs as he saw his cousin, holding hands with the man she was going to marry. His eyes rested on her ring and he looked up at her face and smiled. She smiled back, glad that they were making some progress. Dudley was clearly very excited but he refrained from showing it in front of his parents. But what his parents didn't do, he did by saying, "I-it's a pleasure to m-meet you, P-professor Snape." Snape was surprised by this too and so were the senior Dursleys. Probably ashamed by their own son's morality, finally Aunt Petunia ushered them into the drawing room and they sat down straight to have lunch. When Hermione let go of Snape's hand, she couldn't help but feel that she was unleashing him inside a cage full of rabid dogs who are going to tear him apart. But she trusted Snape to hold his own too, if it came to a verbal battle. She was relieved that the Dursleys hadn't taken any extreme measures to make them feel 'not' at home, by serving them inedible food but had cooked everyday items and in sufficient amounts. Again they carried on eating in silence, till it was unbearable and Snape chose to break it by adressing Aunt Petunia,"Everything tastes delicious Mrs.Dursley." It was a wonder to Hermione that the most taciturn bloke to her knowledge was taking the initiative to establish amicable relationships between the estraged relatives. She knew that Snape was really trying, he was getting out of character to be nice to them very hard and she understood that that's how important her happiness was to him. But they were just being bitches as usual. Petunia flashed a pretentious smile and said,"Hunh." Vernon was minutely scrutinizing Snape's every detail and occasionally shooting glances at Hermione, no doubt to check how these two came to be together. "I hear you were her teacher at- that school?"he asked. Hermione looked quickly up at Snape, but he maintained eye contact with her uncle and replied truthfully,"Yes. Yes I was." Vernon and Petunia shared a sideways look, with raised eyebrows and shook their heads. This was what Hermione had been trying to avoid; this look that was clearly being judgemental. She clenched her jaw and started cutting her chicken with such force that her knife was scratching the plate. She muttered through gritted teeth,"You don't know anything about the things that we've been through. All the trials our love had to face; the vicissitudes of life. It's not some silly infatuation, if that's what you're thinking! We're both adults and perfectly capable of-" Snape touched her elbow without anyone's knowledge, to tell her to calm down. Clearing of throats around the table followed. "I never got to know what it's like..in your world."Dudley said to no one in particular. Hermione knew just how to get back at her uncle. "It's more or less the same, only more magical!"she grinned exaggeratedly and Vernon almost choked on his water. "How was your stay in Ireland? You didn't have any trouble I hope?"Snape asked them as a change of topic; no doubt trying to pacify the situation which was getting heated. "Trouble! I'll tell you about trouble-"Vernon began suddenly raging up but received an elbow to the ribs from his wife, reminding him that he was talking to a famously powerful wizard. So his face became purpler as he gulped down his temper and muttered,"I had to shift jobs and Dudley had to change schools twice and had difficulty coping with the new surroundings but other than that it was hunky-dory." Snape concealed his amused smirk with a mouthful of food. Dudley tried to keep the conversation going,"Our slight inconveniences were nothing compared to what I assume you had to go through. So how was the war finally won? Were there many casualties?" "Diddykins, eat your food."Petunia scolded. Hermione glanced at Snape and answered,"Yes. We barely escaped with our lives. But we won in the end. And now everyone can be safe." She saw that even though they didn't have a clue about the threat to their lives, they were atleast relieved that there wasn't one anymore and were in fact grateful for that. Surprisingly, Vernon and Dudley started asking Snape more about himself and the battle and with each passing minute, although begrudgingly, they looked at him with more respect. By the end of their meal, the Dursleys were unanimous in agreeing that Severus Snape was a force to be reckoned and wasn't one to be trifled with. After lunch, Vernon even invited Snape to join him for a drink where he urged him to get on with asking the question that he had come all the way to ask. Hermione was growing more and more amused of the scenes unfolding in front of her. She went to the kitchen where Petunia was tidying up and she wordlessly started helping in washing the plates. "What are you doing?"Petunia snatched it away. On seeing Hermione's hurt expression she said,"You needn't do that anymore." Hermione raised her eyebrows. Was that her way of saying sorry? Petunia didn't meet her gaze and put her back to her as she worked at the sink. "This- Snape-"she began but Hermione hissed,"Severus! He is the one who convinced me to come here. Otherwise there wasn't any force in this planet that could make me step into this house again." Petunia sighed and Hermione could see her neck turning red. "He...seems like a nice man."she said instead. Hermione's mouth dropped open a fraction; she was being overprotective for no reason after all. After a while Petunia remarked,"Your mother handed us your responsibility. But you're an adult now. I do hope you know what you're doing." "I do."Hermione said confidently. And that was it. Snape appeared satisfied, getting their approval and they made to leave. "We haven't fixed on a date yet, but we'll send you the invitation card, hopefully."Hermione said as a parting sentence. "We'd be pleased if you could accept the invitation and grace us with your presence."Snape offered with a bow. Probably Hermione as well as her aunt and uncle thought at the same time sarcastically, Yeah, that's likely to happen. Dudley gave her a hug and whispered in her ear,"I'm happy for you." The Dursleys closed the door behind them and Snape whistled out a sigh directed to Hermione. "Charming, wasn't I?" Hermione rolled her eyes but couldn't stop herself from smiling,"Okay Mr.Charmer, let's see if you can charm your way through all the wedding arrangements too." Snape mockingly groaned and they disapparated with a crack.