SMALL TALK

It was Christmas eve and most of the school had gone back home on holiday,what's with the rumours spreading across school about the chamber of secrets.Though Professor McGonagall had given them a brief description of it,stories were spreading far and wide.Because there were only a couple of students present,Dumbledoor saw fit to put aside the house tables and keep only an enormous table in the Great hall to seat the staff as well as the students.Hermione had put on a green sweater,keeping her love in mind and walked in.Snape looked up from his plate and met her eyes.She walked defiantly away from her friends and walked right upto the teachers."Ah Ms.Granger,kind of you to join us."Dumbledoor smiled warmly."Why don't you sit over there my dear."McGonagall smiled innocently,indicating the empty place next to Snape and Hermione was more than happy to accept.She smiled widely at Snape who smiled rather awkwardly,still remembering what she was about to tell him the other night.Hermione frowned.Doesn't he want me to sit beside him?Is he angry?Do I smell?She shook these thoughts away and they started the meal but first Dumbledoor burst some firecrackers with his wand and also produced a big magical sparkly hat for Snape to wear.Hermione could'nt hold back a laugh,seeing his expression wearing it and Snape passed it away giving Hermione a sideways look.Then the food arrived and they all tucked in.Hermione reached for the salt and Snape did tge same,at precisely the same moment and they accidentally clasped each other's hand over the salt shaker.Both drew back and coloured and both indicated the other to go ahead first.Dumbledoor enjoyed the scene over the rim of his wine glass.McGonagall winked at the others and they engaged in conversation, leaving Snape and Hermione no choice but to talk to each other."The food is delicious,isn't it?"Hermione served as an icebreaker."It is."Snape just said."I hope the dessert is nice too."Hermione tried to go on."Yeah,me too."again he kept up the small talk.Hermione frowned.Ok,if someone does'nt wanna talk then neither should I.If he's interested to talk to me,he should strike up a conversation.They both continued eating quitely and Snape noticed Hermione wasn't talking.Then he desperately searched for something to say,"So..everything okay between you and your friends,then?""Yeah."Hermione smiled at him,"I learned the trick to loving myself,thanks to you."He was glad."I didn't exaggerate,you know...its all true."Hermione looked at his eyes and knew he was sincere."Tomorrow is the last Hogsmead visit of the term.Do you wanna join me...I mean us?At the Hogshead.I mean...if you want...its just a general offer."She started cheerfully but lost enthusiasm with Snape's surprised look.Well,clearly he thinks it's inappropriate.I should'nt have done it.Shit.As the feast ended,Dumbledoor belched and rose to go.Her friends had already left so Hermione was the only student there and she stalled intentionally,straightening her sweater and smoothing out her hair.McGonagall nudged Snape in the ribs,indicating Hermione.He rolled his eyes at her and moved closer to Hermione.He cleared his throat before saying,"May I...escort you back to your room,Ms.Granger?"Hermione was pleasantly surprised.How gentlemanly.How formal."Yes,s-sure."she said,failing to hide a smile.They strolled through the corridors in silence;Snape hiding his hands under his robes and Hermione,unable to figure out what to do with her hands,wrapped them around herself.For some time only the swishing of his robes broke the silence."Are you cold?"he asked then,by the way she was holding her hands around herself."No no."she assured and casually dropped them to her sides.Snape brought his hands out from under his robes;he so wanted to touch her hands but of course thought it to be a bold move."So,you can visit Hogsmeade now?"he asked,shutting out his thoughts."Yes.Sirius signed my form.Professor McGonagall was okay with it."she replied,happily.Oh,do take up my offer,sir.No...he's not going to come."He's hiding,then?"he inquired."Yeah.He can't even write to me about where he is."she said sadly."Well,he can't risk it falling in the wrong hands."he said."You're right.You were also right about the present I got for my last birthday;it was Sirius who sent it."Hermione told him,looking slyly sideways at him .Snape smirked.They arrived at the Griffindor common room door and Hermione turned to face him."Thank you,Professor.For everything."Snape nodded."Merry Christmas."she said,smiling fondly,showing him she really wished him to be merry.They stared into each other's eyes.Her eyes searched his for any kind of interest while his eyes travelled down to her lips.Hermione's breath quickened but he tore his eyes away and muttered a 'Merry Christmas'.She got disheartened,looked down and after saying,"Good night,sir," ,climbed through the portrait hole.....................................................
Hermione nearly choked on her glass of butterbeer as Snape appeared right next to her in the pub of Hogsmead.Harry had snatched Ron away and both of them had made a hasty escape as they saw Snape approaching,before Hermione could know what was happening.Her mouthful of beer was running down her chin and Hermione cleaned it up,flustered.Snape smirked."You okay?""Yes..yes.I was just surprised.You came!"she said grinning.He had to smile at her excitement."You have...a bit of...foam,on your upper lip."he muttered,passing her a napkin.She took it and turned away to wipe her mouth."So..can I get you anything?"he asked indicating the bar.Hunh,so he doesn't feel that to be inappropriate for a teacher?"I've never drunk..alcohol before."she said shyly.She saw him about to withdraw then and quickly added."Maybe I could try it for the first time with you.Surely a teacher can handle me if I get--tipsy."she joked.Snape considered this then ordered some red wine.She sipped hers and coughed."Too strong."she commented.Snape smirked over the rim of his glass.Then he sat looking intently at her with his face on his hand,one finger tracing his lips.She could'nt look away.Whoa he looks so sexy,doing that.What are you doing to me..?They left the pub,finishing their drinks.Fred and George tried to come upto Hermione to talk but Harry and Ron dragged then away,so that the two of them could have some space.A little snow was falling and Snape liked the way her cheeks turned red from the cold."Its a good thing you had some wine.Its very cold.""Yeah."she said,wrapping her trenchcoat around her tightly."I thought you'd be out with your friends,when you invited me."he said."Yeah,well..they remembered something they had to do."she said small-ly."All of them?"he asked,making it clear he smelled something fishy.She bit her lip."Anyways,I hang out with them all the time.This is a welcome change."she said,gesturing towards him.Snape was conflicted.You came at her request but don't lead her on.You should'nt do this."Well,don't get used to it."he grumbled.Hermione looked at him taken aback."Why would you say--" but her feet slipped on some snow.Before she could fall Snape's hands whipped up and caught her by the waist and the elbow.Her arms were flailing as she realised she was about to fall and her hands found his upper arm and shoulder and she clutched onto it.He looked down at her,then quickly let go after steadying her."Could you atleast look where you're going?"he seemed frustrated.Hermione scowled at him.What's his problem?He's such an enigma;just then he was so nice and caring and the next moment he' s back to his rude and arrogant self.Is it weird that I find this attractive too?But she showed her displeasure by walking on ahead of him.He sighed and caught up to her."I don't want you to hurt yourself...that's all."he muttered but she still wouldn't talk."Okay,I'm sorry.It was rude."he said finally.What are you trying to do ,here?If you don't want her to feel anything for you then why do you keep apologising?Let her think you have a heart of stone.A second year girl ran upto Hermione, right then and stood gaping.Hermione looked inquisitively at her but the girl choked on her own words.Then with difficulty she managed to get out very quickly,"You are the Hermione Granger right?I'm Cuddy Collinson.I'm in Griffindor too.Like you.Can I get an autograph?"Hermione looked embarrassed."Um..I don't.."But the kid would'nt back down."Allow me to atleast take a picture,pleeeeeeeaase." And flashed the camera right at her face.She was momentarily blinded,then she scoffed and turned to go.Snape came at her side,smirking."I see you got yourself a fan."Hermione sighed exasperatedly.They reached the castle,by the time all the students had returned.As soon as they stepped in through the gates they heard a commotion.Harry came running upto them saying,"There's been another attack!On a student this time,some junior named Cuddy Collinson."Snape and Hermione looked at each other horrified.