KINDRED

It has been a week since they had last met and Hermione hadn't made any contact with Snape. He wasn't exactly bored, rather relieved to be out of the hysteria of the initial preparations for the wedding, but he missed her very much. Maybe she is working out some silly notion that if they weren't together, they would yearn for each-other more and thus their lovely would only increase. He decided to call her himself and as soon as the line was answered, he launched into a tirade,"Why didn't you call me? I missed you so much, my darling." But it wasn't the voice he was longing to hear. "Uuh...this is Ron."he sounded both amused to hear his professor speak so lovingly as well as embarrased that it was totally misdirected. Snape quickly assumed his humourless baritone."Put Hermione on the phone." "I- uh, she's not here."Ron was saying and Snape understood that he was trying to come up with some lie. "What is the matter? Where is she?"he asked, irritated by his former student. "Sh-she's fine. She is a bit under the weather, but other than that, the blushing bride-to-be is great! Heh heh,"Ron gave a false laugh. Something was seriously wrong, otherwise why won't she be talking? Before Snape could take his ears off by shouting through the phone, the mobile was snatched away from Ron by Ginny. "Professor Snape?" "What is Ronald talking about, Ms.Weasley? You tell me what has happened right this instant!"Snape ordered, panic clearly etched in his voice. "There's been an accident. Hermione didn't wanna tell you anything..." Snape's heart stopped for a second. "..but she's really sick. For the last couple of days she had a high fever. She's completely bedridden."Ginny informed him fearfully, afraid of getting the brunt of their professor's dangerous temper. Snape hung up and rushed to his fireplace, throwing some powder in it and materialised in 12 Grimmauld Place from amongst the green flames. After the Burrow had been destroyed, Hermione had offered Sirius's old home to the Weasleys and she had been living with them there; it was also a good way to avoid the paparazzi, since the house was invisible to everyone who didn't know about the secret. Snape found Harry and Ginny right in front of him, while Ron, seeing him, had dashed out the door, leaving behind nothing but a cloud of dust in his wake. Harry raised up his hands to stall his ex-professor's fuming rage. "You had one job to do!"Snape was this close to take hold of his collar,"That is, to keep an eye on her, and you couldn't even do that!" "You know how Hermione is...she's always up for adventures."Harry defended himself feebly,"Apparently all these years hadn't sufficed...It was an accident, I swear." Snape became calmer but his voice was deadly,"What happened?" Ginny chose to answer him,"We were at the lake, ice-skating- it was Hermione's idea, she said she was bored. And Ron challenged her to a race. She wasn't one to back out but in her excitement she misjudged the speed and fell through some thin ice." Snape rubbed at his temple, frustrated but grateful that she was safe. "We got her out and rushed her back home but by that time the cold water had seeped through her clothes."Ginny finished, guiltyly. "Where is she?"he asked. Molly, who entered the room then, carrying a tray of medicine, replied,"She's in Sirius's bedroom- sleeping." Wordlessly, Snape followed her direction and opened the door to get into the darkened room with the drapes drawn. Hermione was barely visible lying on the bed, underneath a pile of thick quilts and blankets; only her flushed face could be seen, topped with a reddened nose. Snape sighed, hearing her noisy breathing because of all the phlegm and quitely went over to the bed. She was ill but atleast she wasn't dead. He sat down by her side and felt her tepidly warm forehead. Hermione stirred awake and blinked rapidly trying to see through her puffy eyes, not expecting to see him. "Severus...?" "Ssh, I'm here now. You should go back to sleep."he said but Hermione tried to push herself up in a sitting position. "What are you doing here..?" "Why didn't you inform me?"he counterquestioned. Hermione turned sheepish,"Cause, I didn't...want you to worry. It's just a stupid cold..." He sighed heavily,"Oh Hermione...what do I do with you..?" She looked down and wiped her nose vigorously,"Are you tired of me already?" "No,"Snape brushed the hair out of her face, gazing fondly at her,"I can't wait to get married to you- then I can take care of you always. I lost you once, I can't lose you again." Hermione smiled at him and he pulled her close but before their lips could touch, Hermione stopped him,"No. I'm gross and besides, I..I don't wanna pass my germs to you." "Try and stop me."Snape grumbled and pulled her into a long kiss. Hermione leaned on him and let out a huff of exasperation,"I couldn't find a worse time to get sick. There's so much to do..all the shopping, invitation cards, management...everything!" "Don't fret so- it's not for another two weeks."Snape remarked. He got up,"You take rest. I'm gonna go and make some potion for you. You'll be up and running in no time." "You're staying then?"Hermione perked up. "Oh yes, I'm not letting you out of my sight again. I'll stay here, if you don't mind?"he cocked his head. Hermione grinned as he closed the door.........................
A couple of days later, Hermione came into the dining room on weak legs and found Snape reading the newspaper at the dining table. He folded it back and said to the room,"Well, it's official now." Hermione glimpsed the front page of The Quibbler where there was a picture of her and Snape along with the interview they had given together to Xenophilius Lovegood, a week ago.