PRACTICE

Hermione slid the strap of her bag off her shoulder as she entered Snape's office for their first practice lesson.Snape had been preparing for the class and he looked up as she entered.She was still frustrated over her broom getting confiscated.He began,"The spell I'm going to try to teach you is very advanced and not in your syllabus till the next few years.Its called the Patronus charm."She listened carefully,"Yes I've read about it."Snape inclined his head.Of course you have."I thought hard about how to give you a practice of this particular spell,since we can't possibly bring an actual dementor in the classroom,so I thought,'How about a-""A boggart."Hermione finished for him.Snape smiled.Clever girl."So,I combed the castle searching for one and found this one lurking in an unused teachers' desk."Snape turned to show her the case where he was keeping it and Hermione came closer to take a look.She stood right next to him and he got a whiff of her scent.It was intoxicating and he froze momentarily.Keep your cool.He took out his wand,indicating her to do the same."Shall we?"Hermione took off her robe,rolled up her sleeves and pulled her hair up in a messy bun and Snape was struck by her innocent beauty.He cleared his throat."The incantation is-Expecto Patronum."Hermione repeated after him."Yes.But that's the easy part,I'm afraid.To cast a fully constructed Patronus you have to focus your mind on a single very powerful thought that makes you feel infinitely happy.The Patronus acts as a shield between you and the dementor and can even drive it away."Hermione listened to Snape with a frown,trying to figure what form the patronus would take.Snape said,"Go ahead,think of something that makes you happy."Hermione closed her eyes.After sometime she looked ready and opened her eyes.He clicked the box open with a tap of his wand and out came a boggart-dementor.Hermione pointed her wand at it."Expecto Patronum."Nothing happened."Expecto-expect..o...o.."her eyes became foggy as it closed in on her.She's losing consciousness.Her hand fell limp and she fell back and crashed onto a nearby desk.Snape magicked the boggart back into the case and rushed to her aid."Hermione!Hermione?"he shook her awake.She sat up rubbing her head."I'm-I'm so s-sorry Professor.""Its all right.This is very advanced magic,very.Skilled wizards have trouble with this and you're just a student,Hermione."Snape tried to reason with her.She whipped her head towards him and Snape froze,realising what he had just said."Did you just....call me...by my first name?"Hermione asked disbelievingly.Snape could'nt respond and just looked down at his feet."It's ok."She jumped up and brushed the dust off herself."Again.""Maybe we should just leave it-"Snape tried to suggest but Hermione said,"Again" with more conviction.Whoa,someone's determined .He repeated the process again and Hermione shouted,"Expecto Patronum" but after a few seconds her voice grew weak and her wand fell out of her hand and her leg gave way.This time Snape caught her head before it hit the concrete floor.As soon as the boggart was put away Hermione regained consciousness.She looked pale and Snape stayed knelt down beside her and handed her a chocolate frog."Eat this,it'll help."She bit off the frog's head."I heard my mum again."she whispered and put her hands to her head.Snape sighed heavily,"I understand how hard it is for you.But we need to make sure you never have to go through that again."He tried to provide as much support he could.He stood up and extended his hand.She looked up at his hand, then to his face,gave a small smile and took his hand willingly.He helped her up and steadied her,but immediately let go.He flexed his palm where she had touched him,for the very first time.Control yourself.Its just a guile less contact."If I may...What memory were you focusing on?"he asked."Umm...the first time I ever rode a broom."Hermione replied sheepishly.Snape expected better."Not good enough,not nearly good enough."he said twisting his face.Hermione puffed up her face and started thinking again.When she was finally ready,she looked absolutely sure.Snape opened the box and this time when the dementor came out Hermione pointed her wand up at it and with a great force yelled,"Expecto Patronum!" and thin silvery whisps of smoke came out of her wand tip.She concentrated harder and a thick cloud-like entity erupted out and forced the boggart back in it's case.Snape was thrilled but Hermione swayed a little where she stood."I-I need to sit down...""Yes,of course."he said pulling a chair out for her.She sat,loosened her tie and wiped away the sweat from her forehead.Then her face broke into a triumphant smile."Did you see that?I did it!"she said excitedly.And Snape could'nt help but grin,"Yes,yes,you did.I have to say,I'm impressed."Hermione let out a giggle.Snape took in her joyful face till she stood up and said,"We should go again."To which he said,"Absolutely not.You are going to stress youself out.That is enough for one class."She began to protest but he was adamant.She eventually nodded.Snape put his wand away and Hermione gathered up her robe and bag."Till next time,then,Ms.Granger."he said,a bit upset that she had to go away."Please sir,call me Hermione."Hermione tossed her hair as she went away.