LICKING WOUNDS

Snape apparated in front of the house at Spinners end and ambled along the concrete path that led upto the front door.He knew Voldemort was wrathful,but he made no attempt to quicken his pace.When he entered,the people at the table looked up at him like he was about to be scolded by the principal.Go ahead...Whatever...What if I don't care anymore? He slumped down into a chair.But Voldemort was too busy fuming in rage to remember to reprimand him."Slippery little eel!First they got us baffled by all those Grangers flying out of Surrey and now again they managed to stop us from getting our hands on her.I thought we could catch them off guard at a wedding,but no.Still you came home empty-handed.Clearly she has a lot more cunning than I give her credit for.Either that or you are incompetent fools,all of you!"he said scathingly."We did exactly as you commanded my lord!The girl seems to always be one step ahead of us.We were too busy fighting the elder wizards and witches while the trio made their escape.They dissappeared like smoke."admitted Bletchley."That's what happens when you apparate,or hadn't you noticed?"Voldemort spat back,"How did she get away unscathed twice in a single night?" Snape sat up a little.Twice?They attacked her again that night? The primary reason for his supercilious attitude was that he had been holed up in his house again and he was spending his days without a scrap of news.He had no idea what had happened to the Weasleys,the Order members,Harry,Ron or Hermione.He didn't know whether she was alive or...--"She's handy with a wand,she performed a memory charm on Bluntchsli after confunding him.The boys also showed their best tricks,hell bent on protecting her."Warwick said,rubbing his cheek,where Snape noticed a deep gash running across what could only have been caused by a spell.Snape tried to wrap his mind around this information.They had a confrontation?Where?Did they get hurt? Voldemort made a mocking face,"Yes,Bluntchsli was totally fried when I arrived at that cafe.Like I said,'Incompetent'!You couldn't do away with three little fledgling midgets.You should be thankful I didn't break your neck just like Bluntchsli's." Lucius raised his hand like a student eager to say the answer,"We took control of the Ministry." "I think that's a mean feat."Bellatrix agreed.Voldemort turned on them and they recoiled,but his eyes lightened."Yeah,that's about the only thing you did that was worthwhile."he muttered.Snape rested his chin on his hand,deep in thought.Where are they now?In hiding?Must be.They surely have death-eaters tailing them.It's only a matter of time they catch upto them.Gods...Hermione,please be careful. "Where are they now?"Draco asked and Snape couldn't decide whether it was curiousity he detected in his pale face,or concern."I am pretty sure that those scum are back at the turncoat Black's old house but there are strong enchantments over the building.We can't get through."Fenrir Greyback said,gnashing his teeth and cracking his knuckles in frustration."We have others posted there day and night.If anyone's fool enough to get in or go out,they would catch them." Snape closed his eyes as momentary relief flooded through his body.They'll be safe there, for now.A wise choice.I bet it was Hermione's idea;none of those two clotheads can be relied upon when it comes to brainstorming.When he opened his eyes again,he found Voldemort staring down the table at him."It hasn't escaped my notice that Severus is being uncharacteristically reticent about the whole affair."Voldemort glared at him suspiciously and Snape's inarticulate manner wasn't helping.He sat up straight.Think of something,quick! "Is the poor old runt sick?"Bellatrix made a face one makes while addressing a baby."That would get you excused,wouldn't it?" "I have been many things in my life but when have I ever been a malingerer?"Snape snapped at her and turned to Voldemort,"My lord,I was impeded from any kind of interception and I was back at my home,under your command.If you had not restrained me I would've jumped to action.I missed all the fun.So pardon me if I seem a bit taciturn."Voldemort's gaze lingered for sometime on him but Snape kept a querulous face with his brows knitted together, so he stated,"I think that's entirely justified.Hm I'm afraid Severus would've proved to be much more proficient than you self-aggrandising bastards.Look how professionally he handled the Dumbledore situation!I believe I can rely on him..."He debated it in his head for sometime then nodded,finally coming to a decision."Yes.Professor Severus Snape would be the new headmaster of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry."Snape's eyes lit up since it was just what he hoped for and needed..................
"How long would we be cooped up here?"Ron was being cranky as usual,rubbing at his ribs through his sweater where he had been hit by a death-eater as he narrowly escaped."We aren't getting any close to finding the remaining horcruxes.We can't put one toe out of this house because of those god-damned death-eaters.What do we do now?"Harry asked,unable to stop his foot from tapping."I don't know.All right?I don't know any better than you do."Hermione finally snapped."All I know is that we were almost dead a couple of days ago and we survived.I don't think we have been thankful enough for that.Now I'm not waiting around for some epiphany but if it is destined to happen,we will stumble upon something." "Couldn't you just look into His mind again and see what He is upto or whether He is thinking about any of the places where He has planted a horcrux?What's the next move?"Ron asked."It doesn't work like that,Ron.I spent all of last year perfecting occlumency.Now breaking that barrier and entering my mind would be difficult even if I'm willing to,because my subconscious mind is blocking it."Hermione said,"I think for now we have to wait for Kreacher to come back having caught whoever stole the real locket of Salazar Slytherin."
Later that day,they were on tenterhooks as they heard someone enter the house but were relieved and glad to see that it was Lupin.He brought news of the outside world."You are wanted for questioning by the Ministry. Wizards are being ordered to submit to interviews to prove they have wizarding parents. Anyone practicing magic who does not have wizarding parents ,i.e., so-called "Mudbloods" will be presumed to have stolen magical secrets and will be liable for prosecution."he said,glancing specifically at Hermione.She bit her lip,thinking about how Voldemort had taken over the Ministry and that if they didn't act fast how many lives would be risked and how many families dichotomised."That's terrible!"Harry exclaimed.They remained quite for sometime thinking how things were changing everywhere."How's mum and dad?And the others?No one got hurt that night,did they?"Ron asked curiosly.Lupin assured them that everyone was okay."Actually,I have some news...",he deliberated,rolling the end of the newspaper he had brought,"Dora is pregnant."They whooped in unison."That's great news !Congratulations Remus!"Hermione said but saw Lupin only smiled half-heartedly.It was then that she realised he hadn't said 'we'."What's wrong?"she sat down in the chair opposite him.He began,"She's back at her parents's house where she would be safe.I think it is a mistake raising a half-werewolf baby.Being related to me is dangerous as it is...""Don't say that.She's bringing new life to this world,that is such a beautiful thing.No one can harm them,we are all with you."Hermione told him.He seemed to be at war with himself,"I can't protect my own family.I am coming of no use to them anyway.Let me be a part of this quest you are undertaking.I may be useful here.Let me help you."Hermione found herself suddenly getting angry,"You want to abandon your family?That is such a selfish thing to do!I'm sorry Remus but we cannot involve you.You know what the greatest advantage we have over Voldemort?Love.I can't believe you think falling in love was a mistake.And not giving your soon-to-be born child the love he/she deserves is unimaginable."Lupin was riled but he understood."We appreciate that you offered to help but I think you should leave.Go back to your family.They need you more than us."Hermione said and sullenly he got up and left.Ron picked up the newspaper and read out an article by Bathilda Bagshot on Dumbledore where there was a mention of his sister,who was possibly a squib and who was always hidden away at their home in Godric's Hollow.Hermione registered that this version was similar to Aunt Muriel's from the feast and she made a mental note of giving the place a visit as well as Ms.Bagshot,who lived close by.
It was almost evening when Kreacher dragged in Mundungus Fletcher who admitted to the crime of stealing Slytherin's locket and selling it to a certain lady in pink attire who worked at the Ministry."She didn't by any chance resemble a toad,did she?"Ron asked,gulping.Fletcher said in the affirmative.Harry let out a small whistle,"I guess we have to intrude into the Ministry of magic?"Hermione nodded her head,"I told you we'll stumble upon something.For this to work,we need to have some tricks up our sleeves."..................
"I am honoured My lord.You can count on me,I won't let you down."Snape bowed his head to the Dark Lord,while everyone else started to depart."I certainly hope so."he drawled,stroking the head of his snake fondly."Oh,get that crud in here!"he barked,annoyed at a moaning sound that had been emanating from the basement for quite some time now.Two of his servants brought in Charity Burbage and threw her at his feet.Voldemort turned her with his feet so that she faced Snape."Look at this filth.She was a colleague of yours I presume?Taught Muggle studies.What was it that you preached?Muggles weren't so different from us.The growing prevalence of Mudbloods was a good thing.Well,not anymore."He glared at her and smiled menacingly.She looked helplessly up at Snape,but she had been through such torture that she couldn't even plead coherently."Master,"Snape said,unable to refrain,"Surely you would not like to get your hands malodorous by killing this scum?"Voldemort curled his lips,"Certainly not."He turned to his snake,"Nagini,dinner."As the enormous python coiled up to strike,Snape tore his gaze away and made a hasty exit,reprimanding himself;Burbage being the first person he failed to save under his protection.