CONVERSATIONS

Snape completed brewing the Wolfsbane potion,poured it into a mug and cleared away the cauldron with a swish of his wand.Can't believe I'm doing this for him,again.Although Slughorn was the Potions teacher,Dumbledoor didn't publicise Lupin being a werewolf to the rest of his staff;other than Snape,who had unfortunately chanced upon him when he was in the middle of his transformation one full-moon night many years ago during his school years at Hogwarts.Thus Snape was given the responsibility of brewing the potion for Lupin without the knowledge of others.He took up the mug and headed for Lupin's chambers.But before he reached there he heard Lupin's voice coming from the library and was about to enter when he realised whom he was talking to."I'm sure it will be allright,Ms.Granger.""Thank you Professor."Hermione said shyly.Then Lupin's eyes fell on Snape standing in the doorway,holding the steaming mug of potion."Ah,Severus.Thank you so much."He took the mug and satrted gulping it down.Snape was curiously looking from one to the other.Lupin,obviously trying to clear the confusion said,"Ms.Granger here was looking extremely worked up about something so I was trying to divert her attention with this new historical artifact for our next class."Without looking at him Snape said,"Fascinating."He looked at Hermione who was looking disbelievingly at the mug he just handed Lupin."Er,I was felling a bit down lately and with Slughorn away ,I had to turn to Severus to concoct a health potion.He was afterall the Potions master for so many years..."Lupin tried to explain but Hermione merely nodded,still not entirely convinced.Does she think I'm trying to poison him?Does she care for him much?What was she doing, running to tell him about her troubles?Snape turned to go and Hermione muttered a "See you later,sir" to Lupin and ran to catch up with him."What are you doing all alone here Granger?Where are your friends?"Snape asked,still disconcerted with her."Hogsmeade trip.Nobody signed my form,so Professor McGonagall didn't allow me to go and said it was all for the best."Hermione said with a tinge of disappointment.Oh yes.She would,would'nt she?After all,your security is the top priority.But Snape smoothed his voice somewhat,seeing her upset and said,"Oh."Then remembering that Lupin was comforting her,he quickly thought he should too."I'm sorry about your broom."Hermione looked up at him and said after some time,"Thank you sir."They walked down the corridor together and Hermione after twiddling some more finally said,"There's something I've been meaning to discuss with you."Snape stopped."What is it Ms.Granger?"He could see that she was debating internally."Well I haven't really told anyone about this."she said and looked up and down the corridor.Snape's previous discomfiture with her completely ebbed away.So she chose me to tell it first to.And she wants to speak privately.She..is taking me into confidence.Snape let her know that he understood,"How about we have that cup of tea you said you were good at making,and we can talk?"He had a glint in his eyes and Hermione's eyes lit up."Sure Professor."
.............................................................
Oh my God!I'm going to Snape's chambers all alone.Hermione thought,as she went to the kitchens first to collect some ginger and cardamom.Not that she expected anything to happen,but the mere thought of having Snape all to herself made her excited.She had a spring in her step as she made her way to his office and knocked on his door.She would be ecstatic if he agreed to what she was about to propose.She crossed her fingers behind her back as Snape opened the door and welcomed her in............................
Snape ushered her into his drawing area,beyond his office.There was a desk on which she set to work,putting the water to boil,chopping up the ginger and grinding the cardamom.Snape lit the fire in the fireplace and watched her work.This was different than seeing her work at potions;she smiled at him when she caught him staring but he didn't look away.She finished and handed him a cup,taking one herself and Snape gestured her to sit down on the armchair by the fire while he took the seat opposite.He sipped the tea and as expected,it was exquisite.Hermione looked slightly uneasy and was sitting very tight with her legs joined together.Snape decided to begin,"You were right.This is a mean cuppa tea."She gave a faint smile."Sir,I wanted to speak to you about my dementor problem.I just don't understand why they effect me so."Snape looked at her already knowing her problem.She clutched her cup more tightly and didn't meet his gaze out of embarrassment,"And you've already seen me faint both times I came near one."Snape wondered why she was so embarrassed when he realised,"Were you under the impression that I thought you to be weak?""Well...yes."she said in a small voice.Snape sat up straight to make her understand."This has nothing to do with weakness.You must know that dementors are one of the foulest creatures to walk this earth and it is nothing abnormal to be repulsive of them.They suck out everything happy from people to bring to the forefront all that is bad and can hurt.And for someone like you with such terrible things in her past and dread about what all could happen..it was easier for them."Then seeing that she was more disheartened with him saying "someone like you" he quickly backed it up saying,"I mean,they targeted you particularly because they got positive vibes from you more than anyone else.This is good.You try to be happy despite everything you went through.You didn't lose consciousness because you are weaker than everyone else,no, the truth is precisely the opposite.You are far stronger,that's what the dementors chose to feed on."She looked him straight in the eye,"Then why did you stop me from tackling the boggart that day?"Snape was taken aback by her blunt question.She knows."Don't miss anything do you?"he smirked.She was still looking at him for an explanation."I never doubted your ability",he said,surprised that she would even think that."I just thought it would'nt be prudent for the Dark Lord to materialise in a Hogwarts' classroom."he nodded towards her."I did think about Him first."She didn't say 'Voldemort' because he didn't."But then I remembered the chilling fear I felt from the dementors and the absolute agony they caused me."She took a sip of her tea."The last time they were near me..I heard my mother,pleading for my life,just before He killed her."she said,her eyes filling with tears.Snape saw how troubled she was and made to hold her hand but thought better of it and stopped midway."I'm sorry."he said,his voice burning with genuine compassion.She bit back the tears and could only nod."Sir,can't I do anything to stop this from happening again?I can't afford to fall unconscious in another match.Do you know something to keep them away from me?Teach me,please."She looked up expectantly.How can I say no to that?"There is a way..but it would be very difficult.It is very advanced magic.Wizards and witches far beyond your age have trouble mustering it.""I can do it."she said,hopeful."Yes."he gave her a warm smile."Yes,I daresay you can."