PROGRESS

Hermione searched frantically through the library books and got information about Polyjuice potion making and she,Ron and Harry disguised as Crabbe,Goyle and Pansy, whisked out information from Malfoy about the chamber.While making the potion they became aquainted with Moaning Myrtle,who handed them Tom Riddle's diary,which someone had thrown away.From the diary,Hermione came to know about Hagrid's connection with the previous instance of the chamber being opened.Meanwhile Ron was petrified while sneaking into the library in the restricted section and Hermione didn't take Harry along with her when she went into the Forbidden forest following the spiders,as Hagrid had told her before being arrested.After the episode with Aragog happened,Hermione was rescued by the Weasleys' flying car and she crash- landed just at the edge of the forest.There she saw the brooding figure of Snape waiting for her with anger in his eyes.He came over to the driver's seat and Hermione scooted sideways over to the passenger's seat,when he made a move to get in.She was too shocked to react and he boarded the car and slammed the door shut.He started driving towards the garage all the while growling,"What do I do with you Hermione?You should know how much trouble you're in right now.You can't leave it alone,can you?You have to shovel up every little secret.Who told you to go into the Forest and at this time of the night!?Thank God you are still in one piece!""How did you find me?"Hermione asked incredulous."Dumbledoor asked us to keep an eye on you."he snapped."Why?Does he too think I'm the heir of slytherin?"Hermione asked, scoffing.Snape turned angrily at her."You don't get to have that attitude.Do you know how much trouble you're causing?Oh what I won't give to not be with you here right now!"Hermione was very hurt.She felt her eyes welling up and hid her face away from him.Snape noticed this."Hermione?"She still didn't look at him."Are..are you...crying?"he asked gently.She wiped away the tears that had escaped and said,"No."but her voice cracked.Snape gripped the steering wheel hard,unable to believe he had made her cry."I'm sorry."his voice burned with regret."What I meant was that if you hadn't decided to do this you would've been safely back in the castle and I would rest easy."She didn't say anything.He sighed and asked in a lower voice,"Where are your friends?""I..didn't want them to be in any more danger by coming here with me."she told him sheepishly.Snape banged his hand on the wheel."Great!And what about your life?""It doesn't matter-"Hermione snorted but Snape cut her off shouting,"It matters to me!"Hermione's head snapped up to look at him but he kept his eyes defiantly on the road ahead.It does?What do you mean?Oh please tell me what you feel."Why do you care?"she pried."For God's sake,Hermione because I lo-"but he stopped.Oh do go on sir.....But he didn't;he set his jaws tightly and clutched the wheel so hard it felt like it would draw blood.Hermione's eyes moistened up again.He parked the car and Hermione wasted no time in getting out saying,"Well, if I annoy you so much maybe you should stop caring and just stay away from me."....................................................
I lieu of recent events Professor Snape arranged for duelling lessons in his DADA class.While demonstrating,he kept a close eye on Hermione.She didn't look his way but was concentrating on the slytherin boy who was her opponent and was cheating.In between bombarding her with spells he set a snake loose on her.But instead of cursing it back with magic Hermione lowered her wand and approached it as if to communicate.Snape watched horrified as slow raspy noises started to emanate from her and the snake halted.It bowed down to her and she watched it transfixed.Long after Snape had incinerated the snake,everyone was looking at Hermione like she was an alien,but she had no idea what was going on.That boy was later found lying petrified along with a Hogwarts ghost.Snape thought it was high time.He took Hermione straight to Dumbledoor."Headmaster,she has to know.She won't rest until she learns the truth."he said as soon as they reached his chambers.Hermione had no idea what they were talking about."How much do you know already?"Dumbledoor asked Hermione."The chamber of secrets is somewhere in the castle,there's a beast-a basilisk that is responsible for these attacks,years ago it was brought to life and a muggleborn-Myrtle died by looking at it and Hagrid was accused.But I know it wasn't him!I talked with his pet spider,Aragog and he told me it wasn't him.The basilisk is travelling through pipes so the chamber must be somewhere under the lavatories."Hermione said in one breath."And she's a parseltongue."Snape added."I'm a what?"Hermione asked puzzled.Dumbledoor answered,"A parseltongue is someone who can talk to snakes.It's interesting that Voldemort was the last known Parseltongue."Hermione looked over at Snape and he looked worried."But...I'm not...the heir of Slytherin.I'm not even in slytherin house.I'm not doing all this Professors!You have to believe me."she pleaded."We're not blaming you."Snape assured."Yes.We are merely curious about this connection between you and the dark lord.I'm just saying you might be able to open the chambers too by using parseltongue,MsGranger."Dumbledoor said and winked.Snape tried to convey that he was incredulous to Dumbledoor.What is the man thinking?Planting such an idea in her mind!She already gave a visit to a monstrous spider all by herself ;now she's going to go looking for that beastly snake."And about that Basilisk.Why is it that noone has died by now?"Snape asked out of curiosity."That's because noone has looked directly at its eyes,in order to be dead.Filch's cat saw its reflection on the water in the corridor,Cuddy Collinson glimpsed it through her camera,Ron saw it through his magical looking glass and that slytherin boy saw it through the ghostly body of Sir Cadogan.Sir Cadogan got the full effect but he is already dead so he can't die again."Hermione said simly.Snape thought,Your witch is smart.What?She isn't yours.Yet."Remember what the warning on the wall read?'ENEMIES OF THE HEIR BEWARE'.I actually believe I fall under that category.The last time the chambers were opened,a muggleborn died.This time...Malfoy was hoping it was me."She said hanging her head.Snape gripped her hand but then let go since Dumbledoor was looking.He balled his hands up in a fist and grumbled,"Malfoy is getting way out of control."Dumbledoor waved his hands saying,"Well it's a good thing you filled me in with everything,Ms.Granger.You may leave now.And you too Severus."As the door closed behind them, Hermione stopped Snape by his arm.He looked at her quizzically but Hermione could'nt muster the courage to say it.With immense difficultly she managed to let out,"Can I talk to you about something,Professor?"