COMPLICATIONS

[Trigger warning: Self-harm]
Hermione ran down the corridor,tears flowing freely.She chose the lavatory in which Myrtle died,because it was deserted and locked herself in.She gripped a sink and heaved her body,vomiting out whatever she had eaten for lunch.Her whole body shook uncontrollably.Why...why did I do this?What did you expect?That you'd confess your love for him and he'd accept you with open arms?Now what will you do?She looked up at the mirror above the basin.He's right.You are naive and silly.You know nothing!You were stupid enough to think that his little concern was love.Now you've lost that little bit of care from him too.He's going to hate you!You're pathetic!Her self hate and pain made the mirror magically shatter to a million pieces.She stared transfixed at the broken bits for some time,then took one in her hand.She watched her reflection change from timidity to determination.She positioned it on the veins of her wrist,then taking a deep breath slashed through it a number of times.As she watched the warm blood seeping out she realised this pain was nothing compared to the stabbed feeling she felt at her heart..........................................
Entranced,Snape went to the Great Hall for dinner.He was dreading making eye contact with the girl he had rejected a couple of hours ago,and thus refused to look up from his plate or talk to anyone.But,a pathetic lover that he was,he could'nt keep his eyes from roamimg towards the Griffindor table.But Hermione wasn't there.He was mildly concerned;Probably she's in her room.Yeah..possibly crying.Because of you!He jabbed angrily at his food with a fork.Then suddenly there was an uproar;Filch came running in shouting in utmost fear,"Troll in the dungeon!" and there was a mad scramble among the whole hall full of people,to get out.Dumbledoor called everyone into order and asked the prefects to escort the students to their respective house dormitories.Harry and Ron came running upto McGongall to inform her that Hermione wasn't with them and hadn't been back to her room the whole evening,so she couldn't possibly know what was going on and might be in danger.McGonagall immediately went out in search of her and Snape,who was sitting right beside her followed suit,knowing fully well it was him because of whom she hadn't been back to her dormitory.................................
Hermione whipped around as she heard a deep rumbling noise coming from the other side of the door.Then before she could take her wand out from her waistband,her reflexes weakened because of bloodloss from her wrist,the door was smashed open to a thousand splinters of wood and Hermione cowered under a sink.She removed her hands from over her face to see a troll standing at the door.She lunged forward to hide in a cubicle but the troll struck them all down with his club.Hermione lay flat on her stomach to avoid it just in time and then crawled out of harm's way but now there was nothing between her and the troll.Before it could attack again,Hermione raised her wand,said,'Wigardium Leviosa' and its club was magicked out of it's hand and landed hard on it's head,successfully knocking it out.Before she could breathe a sigh of relief,McGongall and Snape came rushing into the toilet.McGongall clutched her bosom at the sight of the unconscious troll and remarked,"Jesus Christ!What happened here?!"Hermione explained,"I was....refreshing here and this troll came out of nowhere and attacked me.""Are you okay?Did he hurt you?Are you injured?"Snape asked,looking intently at her."Fine."she replied,haughtily.Obviously she was still angry about the past hours' events.But Snape refused to back down from caring for her."You should go to the hospital wing right away to tend to your wounds."McGonagall came back to her usual composed and strict self and said,"Twenty points to Griffindor for successfully beating down a fully grown troll but you get detention for being foolish enough to take on such a beast all alone,Ms.Granger.Though I'm far too busy to supervise a detention...Severus,would you be so kind as to do it?"Snape agreed reluctantly.Hermione didn't speak or look at him but stomped out,hiding the self-inflicted cuts on her wrists ................................................
Snape was drumming his fingers on his table,impatiently awaiting Hermione's arrival to serve her detention.He eagerly opened the door when he heard a light tap and saw Hermione standing there.She didn't greet him or anything  but just came in,plopped down on a bench far away from his table and awaited his orders.He set her to dusting and stacking up the books in his office in perfect order.She started without uttering a single word and guilt was eating up Snape from the inside.She winced a little while putting up particularly heavy books.She can't be that fragile...oh,maybe she's still in pain from yesterday's attack.Maybe her hands hurt.He summoned her to put up another book on the rack but as she extended her hand to take it from him,her sleeve scrunched up and Snape saw bright red scars on her wrist.He was shocked."What is that?"He put away the book and caught hold of her arm before she could pull it away.He gently pulled her sleeve up to reveal thin slashes on her flesh that were still raw and chafed.He whipped his head up at her."You did this yourself?!That's why you were alone in that lavatory.You were trying to...to..."He could'nt believe it was him that led her to make such a rash decision.Hermione snatched her arm away from him,her nostrils flaring,"Why do you care?"Snape passed his fingers through his hair in exasperation."Why do I care?I...didn't I tell you that I'm concerned for you?What prompted you to do this?!How could you...-""Yes,and you also don't have any kind of affection for me,more than a teacher-student relationship.You made that very clear,sir.Lets just stick to that."She wiped the tears from her cheeks and exited his office.