RETURN

No no no no no...this cannot be happening!Not him...not him.Hermione felt completely blank.She felt like she should do something but she was unable to move.She had the wind knocked out of her.She felt like the source of her life had been taken away from her and she needed it back to be revitalised."There has been no word of him since morning."Kingsley informed."Surely Dumbledore knows about his whereabouts?"Mr.Weasley asked."I'm afraid we couldn't make contact with him either.He isn't at Hogwarts,and no one really knows how to find him."said Kingsley."Did someone check his house?"Tonks asked.Lupin scratched his chin and said,"But did we ever bother finding out where Severus lives..?"Everyone shook their heads,looking at each other.Hermione felt ashamed;she claimed to love him and yet she didn't have any idea of such important things of his life."Shouldn't we go looking for him?"Tonks asked."No.Others are out there.It's still not a full-time search because he hasn't been missing for that much time,but we would get news about him as soon as there is any.What if it's a secret mission between him and Dumbledore?Our involvement might as well ruin his cover."Kingsley said comprehendingly."Yeah but what if it's like one of those dissapearings of people from the magical community?You-know-who has already started drawing people to his side."Mr.Weasley said concerned.Lupin looked at Hermione and forcing confidence in his voice,retorted,"Severus is an exceptional wizard.He is experienced and adept at his job.I'm sure he'll be able to take care of himself."But there was no fooling Hermione.Their voices betray their display of assurance.Professor Snape might be in very big trouble.Oh,I take back everything I said about him.He was putting himself in danger and all I wanted was for him to turn up at this ludicrous party!Please God,give him back to me and I'll do anything.Please bring him back safe...................................
It was a few minutes till midnight and Hermione was sitting at the couch by the fireplace,her gaze fixated impassively at the dancing fire.She hugged her knees to her chest and rocked slightly as she supressed the tears.She was commemorating his every action.From the time she had a crush on him in her first year,to when she actually had the guts to tell him,when he accepted his love for her to how they had spent the last few years.We didn't have enough time...we wouldn't have been able to have enough time even if he was gone a hundred years later.An entire lifetime doesn't feel like enough time to love someone and to be loved back.We just had a couple of years and he is gone now.No no...I shouldn't give up hope.I must not lose faith."Hermione,my child,you should have something to eat.You look so peaky..."Molly said vainly.But even the thought of food repulsed her then."Please,I can't...not till I know Professor Snape is okay."Hermione said."Hey,I'm sure he'll be fine.Be a little more optimistic."Harry said."No news is still good news.Maybe he's undercover.Let's not all jump to conclusions."Ron said logically."You just don't get it,do you?"Hermione snapped,"I can't even breathe properly till I hear his voice again.There's no force in this universe that can make my heart be at peace."
"Oh,I beg to differ,Ms.Granger."
They all whipped their heads around at the entrance where undoubtedly was standing the owner of that sonorous voice.He looked paler than usual but he was garbed in his usual black attire and that playful smirk."Severus!"everyone(except his students and Hermione) echoed and went towards him to check after his health.Hermione just sat there,with every urge to launch herself at her lover but her body heinously deceiving her.She was too shocked and put her hands to her temple,letting out a long and deep breath as she felt the tears surging.He's here.He's okay.She kept repeating in her head."What happened Severus?"Lupin asked."Just some private business that detained me."he replied nonchalantly and he was so intimidating that noone pressed further.His eyes were on Hermione who was still shell-shocked."It's good to see you Professor,we have been worried."Neville acquired the courage to say.He just nodded at him and proceeded towards Hermione.She couldn't hold back any longer and finally jumped to her feet and hung onto him by his neck."Oh my God!Oh....my....God..."she only managed to gasp."It's allright,I'm here now..."he consoled and hugged her just as hard,patting her head.They sunk back into the couch and he forced her to face him.Her tears were flowing freely and he wiped them away."I was so scared....so so scared.I was totally distraught."she said,her voice choking up."If anything was to happen to you....""Ssh..nothing happened to me.I'm fine."he reassured her.She stopped crying then so he smirked,"I'm awfully late for a birthday party though,so I guess I should apologise."Hermione scowled,"Don't you dare joke with me now,Severus Tobias Snape!"He looked at her,startled;she had used his full name for the first time.She then ran her hands on his face,arms and hands."I've got to check whether you're really here or I'm still in a daze."she said.He sighed and pulled her into a kiss."Does that feel real enough?"She smiled back,but then remembered about the others."They thought of giving us some privacy."he explained when Hermione turned to an empty room."They sure did.Otherwise I would've engaged in a very public display of affections."she said and tried to kiss him again but he stopped her."Presents first."She was delighted;not only had he remembered to get her something,but it was more than one.First he pulled out a bunch of flowers from his cloak pocket and it was a rare one that Hermione hadn't seen before."It's beautiful."Hermione gushed,sniffing them."It has an apt name:'Love in idleness'.It grows in the countryside where I live."he said.Hermione was about to ask him where exactly it was but he pulled out a box of chocolates then.Hermione laughed and opened them pronto,realising how hungry she was,but before she popped one into her mouth,she offered him one.He ate it and then watched as she merrily started chomping down on Turkish delights,exploding bonbons,fizzing whizbees and chocolate frogs.One frog tried to escape and she bit into it,prompting melted chocolate to spread all over her mouth.He couldn't help but lean forward and lick it off her lips,paralysing her momentarily as she was so aroused.Next he brought out a last gift which made Hermione squeal in delight.It was a Broomstick Servicing Kit.It came in a black leather case with silver lettering. It contained a large jar of Fleetwood's High-Finish Handle Polish, a pair of silver Tail-Twig Clippers, a brass clip-on compass, and aHandbook of Do-It-Yourself Broomcare.She loved it and hugged him to give her thanks.Later,as they still sat in front of the fireplace,she resting her head on his chest and he slowly brushing her hair with his fingers,she said,"You know,this whole evening,all this anxious time that I spent,all I could think about was that I couldn't afford to lose you too.Not after Sirius.Not now...not ever."He said,"I know.I'm sorry I got you panicking."After sometime she asked, "Are you truly going to tell me what kept you from coming here today?"He chewed his lip,debating what to say,"Like I said,I had some business with Dumbledore and lost track of time."She understood that he was obviously keeping something from her.Before she drifted off to sleep, she said,"Ok,don't tell me.I hope,someday you will find me worthy of knowing your secrets."He looked at her,saw that she was asleep and then sighed,"Someday."