DARK WINGS DARK WORDS

There was a bubbly air around the Burrow.The pre-wedding jitters could be felt and everyone was bustling around with a nervous excitement.Snape still had some of that muggle's hair left,so he made himself a flask of polyjuice potion and got dressed in a brown three-piece suit that matched his hair.As much as he wanted to be his usual self,he couldn't risk getting identified as there would be too many outsiders.He couldn't bear to stay inside with all of Fleur's pretty bridesmaids running around fussing over their and the bride's dresses and makeup,Mrs.Weasley snapping at everyone at the drop of a hat,and Fred and George slipping in small pranks to irritate the guests.He jumped out of the way when the particularly shrill group of bridesmaids ran down the corridor with bouquets and hairpins and he stood staring after them,scoffing at their ludicrousness."See anything you like?"Hermione appeared at his shoulder.He turned towards her."Now I do."he replied,his eyes softening,seeing her in a red lace skater-dress."Ginny is-"
"Ssh,"he put a finger on her lips,"Let me fill the void of my mind with this picture of you.I agreed to stay till the wedding,I can't go anymore days without reporting back to the dark lord.I...I don't know when,if ever, I'm going to see you again."Hermione saw his eyes travel up and down her body and then return to her eyes.They stared into each other's eyes,his finger lingering on her lip a tad too long.Within the close proximity of the narrow corridor,both could feel the electricity in the gap between them;there was nothing left for them to do but to kiss,it only seemed natural.The prospect of that made Hermione hyperventilate and Snape extended his hand to cup her cheek.She parted her lips and he leaned in.
"Hermione!"
They darted away from each other.Luna came hopping down the corridor with a grin but then stopped abruptly."Uh,I've interrupted something,haven't I?I can see a thought growing smaller in your eyes."Hermione had been gaping,but she shook her head to clear it.Snape clenched his jaw and went outside without a word.Luna stared at his back."Who's he?He looked like he could've hit me.Now that Professor Snape is out of the picture,did he think that he had a shot with you?"she asked."Luna?!"Hermione exclaimed.Luna shrugged,"He's handsome and though there are similarities,he can never have that sleek sexyness of the man in black." "Tell me about it."Hermione rolled her eyes,and escaped quickly because she didn't want her friend to bisect her lover's(as said by Luna herself) 'enviable qualities'...........................................
Snape helped Arthur to put up the tent where the wedding feast was to take place and as the ceremony was about to begin,he seated himself at two-to-three rows from the front,staring dead ahead.He made fists with his hands,frustrated with the failed attempt at intimacy with Hermione.He didn't turn to look as the guests filed in;it was only when he got a whiff of perfume and someone touching his shoulder that he gaze up to see Hermione smiling down at him.She slid into the seat next to him and his lips curled into a smile.He relaxed his jaws and hands as Hermione smirked and gave a wink.The bridesmaids entered raining flowers and then Fleur was escorted in,a grinning Bill receiving her at the end of the aisle and the vows were said.Snape glanced sideways at Hermione and she was smiling widely,but she looked at him with big eyes filled with tears.He reached out to put his hand over hers and she held it tightly for the remainder of the ceremony..................................
With his common muggle disposition,Snape managed to slip through the crowd without anyone taking any particular notice of him and arrived at the buffet table.He was munching on some chops when a shabby gentleman walked upto him,wearing clothes so bright it stung his eyes."I believe I spotted some wrackspurts around you.Hello,I'm Xenophilius Lovegood."They shook hands, Snape forcing a smile.Who else could it be but Looney Lovegood's father? "As I was saying,wrackspurts.Nasty business.I've written all about them in my esteemed daily."he said and shoved a copy of The Quibbler in Snape's face."My daughter is a friend of hers."Mr.Lovegood said proudly pointing at Hermione and Luna,sitting at a table with Ginny,Harry,Elphias Doge and Ron's great Aunt Muriel."I'm aware of that."Snape replied,stopping himself from almost saying they were his students."We never doubted her for a second when she said all those controversial things.Mine is the only newspaper who stood by Ms.Hermione Granger when she claimed You-know-who was back."Xenophilius babbled on.Snape muttered,"Sure you did."After asking after him, Mr.Lovegood was about to persuade him to provide an account of the wedding for The Quibbler but George came to Snape's rescue."The party is so ho-hum.Look at the poor dance-floor getting bored by these French and their elegant ballroom dancing.It's bickering you to go join it.I know you're gonna totally kill it!"Xenophilius didn't get George's sarcasm and was hesitant at first,twirling a triangular eye-shaped locket hanging around his neck but getting encouraged by George furter,he stepped onto the dance-floor.George cheered him on and Snape breathed a sigh of relief.He looked over at Hermione and she wasn't at the table anymore.She was checking something in her purse when Victor Crum suddenly blocked her way.Instantaneously Snape's brows furrowed.What's he doing here?He has some nerve,talking to her after what he did! George followed his gaze and answered his unspoken question,"Crum is Fleur's guest.We weren't too keen on inviting him but Fleur insisted."Snape gritted his teeth.Hermione was a little taken aback upon seeing him but she regained her composure;she behaved amicably but maintained a distance.He wasn't close enough to hear their conversation but he saw her mouthing something like 'Grindelwald'."Wanna tell him to bugger off?"George raised an eyebrow.Snape shook his head,"If he misbehaves,I trust Hermione to give him a lesson herself.".............................................
While the two of them were talking,Hermione could feel Snape's gaze boring into Crum's back.He was trying to act all casual but Hermione crossed her hands over her chest and only nodded and replied to his queries with one-word answers.After Crum sauntered away,Hermione's mind was whirring with all the information that she got from Doge and Crum that evening.As her eyes focused back on reality,she saw Snape walking towards her with two glasses of white wine.He handed one to her."All okay?" She nodded and smiled.She knew he was dying to know what Crum wanted with her,but couldn't get himself to ask.And she was glad he didn't.Instead,he jerked his head towards the dance floor,where the newlyweds were engaged in a romantic slow dance."Do you wanna..?"Hermione was going to answer but at that moment, a patronus penetrated in through the roof and landed amidst the party.It was a raven-Kingsley Shacklebolt's patronus."Scrimgeour is dead.The Ministry has fallen.They are coming!"The baleful words echoed through the tent which had fallen into pin-drop silence with the arrival of the patronus.As it gradually flickered out,the words took a moment to sink in.Hermione and Snape looked at each other with horrified expressions;although they knew it was coming,when the moment arrives,no one is really prepared for what is to come.Around them,guests started to disapparate,in their haste,not even saying goodbye to the hosts.Snape dropped the glass and grabbed Hermione by the shoulders,"Do you have everything you need?"Hermione was too busy catching up with the hectic change in her surroundings.Hooded dark figures started to swoop in and chaos erupted.Tables and chairs were overturned,the chandelier crashed to the floor,a part of the tent was set on fire.Arthur,Molly,Lupin and Tonks started fighting and Hermione couldn't leave without getting assured of their safety.But Snape shook her,forcing her to look at him."Do you have everything?!"he shouted over the madness."Yes."she showed him the purse.He pulled her by the hand and helped her find Harry and Ron.Harry was sharing a last kiss with Ginny and Ron was by their side in a heartbeat.Hermione looked at Snape-she wanted to kiss him too,if truth be told,she never wanted to stop.But there were too many of the death-eaters and every second she wasted,endangered their lives more.Snape knew what she was feeling,so he deliberately used all his strength to throw her towards her friends."Go!"
The three of them joined hands and Hermione caught a last glimpse of Snape's face,a facade of courage and hope but crumbling from inside with fear,before she disaapparated to a dark multiverse.