CATASTROPHE

The day was murky,but Hermione wasn't sure whether it was the mist or was it her vision constantly blurred by tears.The both of them got up to get dressed and get about the business of the day,pretending it to be just another day,but wasn't sure what else to say.They faced away from each other,brooding over their own thoughts.Did we already drift apart?Is there already a rift between us now?Before Hermione could leave Snape caught her arm and she willingly looked at him,relieved that he had something to say to break that unbearable silence."No matter what happens,know that I'll always love you."She pressed her lips together,knowing that she expected no less from him."It's so easy for me to love you,that it frightens me.I've never been good at this.But I've never wanted anything so much as I want to hold you every waking moment.And every night while I sleep.The question has ceased to be 'How much do I love you?' and has become 'How would I ever stop?' "His body quivered with more unspoken emotions and Hermione realised that he was in a terrible need of a hug;so she embraced him and said,"It's going to be okay."He pulled her closer and kissed her forehead,"Promise me you'll be brave,even when you're scared.In fact,especially then."Hermione looked up at his face,"That is the only time one can be brave.".........................
The day passed uneventfully but Hermione's friends observed that there was definitely something off about her.They tried asking her whether she had a fight with Snape but she laughed it off.But she always stood on edge;every sound,even a slightest bit of commotion made her gasp and hold her wand at the ready.After dinner,just when she was starting to believe that this might not be the day where everything ends,she was summoned by Dumbledore.Mechanically,she turned away from her friends,who were retiring for the night,and went down the corridor towards Dumbledore's office.He was already waiting outside impatiently and was eager to embark on their journey.Hermione stared at him while he laid out the plan of their destroying a horcrux he had found out. He is eager to hurry to his grave..."Right.So that's that.Shall we,Ms.Granger?"Hermione took a deep breath and followed Dumbledore..................
The castle was gradually falling silent and Snape looked out of his window.What did I bring upon myself?But I knew all along that something like this would happen...Suddenly,he spotted Dumbledore and Hermione making their way through a winding road to go outside the castle.He saw them departing and felt the oxygen leave with them.They would definitely choose this night-when Dumbledore is not around and even when he returns,he would be at his most vulnerable.He stood contemplating the possible events of the next hours,he didn't know how long, when he was abruptly brought back to reality by a jolting pain that shot up his left arm.He pulled up his sleeve to find the Dark mark, more dusky than ever and burning.He stuck his head out of the window and as anticipated,he saw that someone had cast the infernal Dark mark upon the sky and it was looming above the castle,symbolising the sinister occurrences to come."To battle."he chanted under his breath and quickly came to his fireplace.He threw a handful of floo-powder into it and sent a message to the Order,muffling his voice so that it was unrecognisable and just said,"Death-eaters at Hogwarts!Help!"He prayed that someone heard his SOS and would alert the others.Before Snape could think of something else to do,Fenrir Greyback burst into his room."The Malfoy boy did a tremendous job.Five of us have managed to sneak in.The old man would be here any minute-Draco's on his way to his tower."he informed grinning............................................
Snape hurried down the corridor,but Greyback,being a werewolf and on all fours,pawed his way down the castle at lightening speed.McGonagall,who had been patrolling,was the first to confront a death-eater and as Snape passed by,he saw them engaged in a duel.He non-verbally decapitated him and McGonagall didn't even think to stop him to go on his way,obviously believing he was on their side.Snape heard others arriving too and quickly bounded up the steps to the tower.....................................
Hermione half-carried the groaning Dumbledore and laid him down on his chair."Stay here Professor,I'll bring help."she cried.The green potion which he had drunk at the cave to retrieve the horcrux-locket had left him feeble and he just mumbled something incoherent.As she was rushing down the stairs,she heard someone enter the room from the other door."Stand down."Draco said,although his voice betrayed his confidence.Hermione hid herself in a position where she could see them through a gap in the steps but no one could see her."Mr.Malfoy."Dumbledore tried to maintain his stature,"Whatever business you have with me,I believe it can be calmly discussed.""Shut up you fool!Don't you realise what's happening?We are taking over the castle."Draco cried and revealed the dark mark on his arm.Dumbledore remained his usual calm self,"Oh my dear boy...you don't have to do this.Let me help you.Every soul can be saved."Hermione nearly gasped when someone's hand closed around her arm,but it was only Snape.His face was white as a sheet and he put his finger to his lips,asking her to be absolutely silent.She swallowed and nodded and he tip-toed upwards."I have to do this.I was chosen!Otherwise,He would kill my family..."Draco was crying.Bellatrix and Greyback had also arrived and looked on as Snape stepped into the light and stood as a wall in front of Draco.Slowly,he pointed his wand up,his chest heaving with deep breaths."Severus,please."Dumbledore begged and Hermione realised it was a plea to make him keep his promise."Avada Kedavra!"the words escaped Snape's mouth and the green flames shot Dumbledore in the chest and he was thrown off his feet.As his body dissappeared from view,falling away to the ground,Snape breathed,"It's all over."................
Hermione had frozen to her spot.Even though she anticipated this happening,the shock of witnessing this was nerve-wracking.She drew in deep raggedy breaths as the death-eaters and Snape left the tower.But the triumphant cackling laugh of Bellatrix was too much to bear.Hermione jerked herself out of her immobility and sprinted down the stairs.She took a shortcut and closed in on them as they were making their way across the field,to get out of the castle in order to apparate.Through the corner of her eyes she could see lights flickering on as the inhabitants of the castle awoke to the fights in the lower storie but she kept her gaze forward,at the escaping figures of the death eaters.Before she could get close enough to attack,Hagrid's hut was set afire by that miscreant Bellatrix."Sectusempra!"Hermione shouted but her target was amiss and her curse hit her on the shoulder."That mudblood bitch-"Bellatrix said through gritted teeth as her arm was a tatty and bloody mess and she raised her wand."Avada-" "No!The girl is to be kept alive for the dark lord.Or have you forgotten?"Snape said,throwing her arm away."You go on ahead with Draco.I'll deal with her."Bellatrix complied and when Hermione saw that she was getting away,she tried to hex her again.Snape deflected her with a flick of his wand but she kept going,aiming for the death-eaters.What are you doing,Hermione?I told you to stay out of the way.For once in your life do what I say!
"Fight back you cowards!Fight back!I'm not afraid of you!"Hermione wiped the tears from her eyes and tried to go haring after them.Snape muttered,"Forgive me for this." and sent a cuse flying from his wand.Since she was running and the curse had come unexpectedly,Hermione failed to block it and it made her fly off her feet and hit a tree.Snape gasped and ran towards her;she was knocked unconscious and blood was trickling down her forehead.He saw Hagrid approaching and he quickly followed the others,believing Hagrid would take care of Hermione and once outside,he disapparated...................................
Hermione regained consciousness soon after and her head felt a little heavy as her mind went through that confused moment,trying to comprehend the world and all its woes.The bed next to her contained Bill Weasley,who's face had been brutally disfigured by Fenrir Greyback and Mrs.Weasley was crying over his chest.The two of them were surrounded by Lupin,Tonks,Fleur,Arthur, Harry,Ron,Ginny and all the other teachers.They explained to her whatever happened;apparently,someone had alerted the Order and four of them had arrived at Hogwarts.Hermione believed that it must've been Snape.Arthur and Molly had arrived soon after they heard about Bill.They also told her about Dumbledore,as if she didn't already know and everyone had that look of pity on their faces,sorry that she had been most cruelly deceived by her beloved."I knew he was an ugly git all along!"Ron commented."If we ever get our hands on him again,I swear we will kill him!"said Harry.Ginny offered a rub around her shoulders and muttered,"I'm so sorry Hermione."Hermione didn't have the strength left in her to explain everything to them nor did she feel it to be the right time.But her chest felt like exploding with the pressure of keeping a lid on the truth that threatened to spill.She just stared blankly at the floor and zoned out."Dumbledore was a fool to have so much faith in Snape."Lupin said gravely.McGonagall gave out a whimper.She could'nt bear to look at Hermione-the one she had encouraged to enter into an amorous relationship with the one she considered as a son,but who turned out to be a backstabber-and she quickly left the hospital wing...................
"Master,it has been done."Snape inforned mechanically and a celebratory uproar went round the table of death-eaters.Voldemort grinned maniacally and seemed like he could waltz in joy.After many a congratulations exchanged and many pats on the accomplisher's back,did they finally settle down."I'm extremely pleased with you Severus,I knew you would step in to do the job."Voldemort said,giving a sideways glance to Malfoy,who quickly averted his gaze."I wish I could be there to laugh my contempt off at Dumbledore when he saw his favourite spy show his true colours.No matter...let's see what his pets are upto now."He went over to a giant looking glass on the wall,brushed his wand on its surface and the image of Hogwarts materialised in it.Snape saw Hermione paying her respects to Dumbledore at his tomb,while the rest of the school looked on.He saw the tears trickling down her cheeks and his jaw tightened and his knuckles clenched.McGonagall gave a short speech but her words were mostly blocked by Voldemort,who was clearly enjoying himself more than he should.Hermione kept staring up at the sky in disgust and anger,where the dark mark was still floating.Somewhere in the distance Fawkes the phoenix let out a melancholy sound and Hermione started singing to its tune.
Please don't see
Just a girl caught up in dreams and fantasies
Please see me
Reaching out for someone I can't see
Take my hand, let's see where we wake up tomorrow
Best laid plans sometimes are just a one night stand
I'll be damned, Cupid's demanding back his arrow
So let's get drunk on our tears
And God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and this lamb is on the run
Searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars trying to light up the dark?

She raised her wand,the tip of which was alight and pointed it up at the sky.A dot of light appeared within the dark mark.Slowly people started joining in too and raising their wands up.

Who are we?
Just a speck of dust within the galaxy?
Woe is me
If we're not careful turns into reality
But don't you dare let our best memories bring you sorrow
Yesterday I saw a lion kiss a deer
Turn the page, maybe we'll find a brand new ending
Where we're dancing in our tears

As more lights penetrated through the mark,it looked more like it was pinpricked with rays of heavenly power.And everyone joined in on the chorus.

And God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and this lamb is on the run
Searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars trying to light up the dark?

"Oh they're singing now.How touching."Voldemort said through gritted teeth.

And I thought I saw you out there crying
And I thought I heard you call my name
And I thought I heard you out there crying
Just the same
And God, give us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and this lamb is on the run
Searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars trying to light ... light up the dark?

Gradually ,all the light helped to completely erase the dark mark from the sky and while Voldemort broke the glass in rage,Snape smiled with pride.