BIRTHDAY BLUES

The next morning Hermione came downstairs to a collective 'Happy Birthday Hermione!' from everyone present at The Burrow.She glowed,thanked everyone and gave them all hugs."You'll get all your gifts at the party tonight."Ron winked.True to his word Neville had suggested they have a small memorial service for Sirius and then have a party for Hermione,where the Order could assemble.She rolled her eyes at the ridiculousness of her friends and attended to Hedwig,who pecked at her fingers.He had some letters tied to his legs--birthday wishes for her from Dumbledore,Hagrid and surprisingly,her cousin Dudley;there were also letters from Hogwarts,the first was a list of their new books,the second the instruments and ingredients that they were going to need and Hermione gasped when she saw the third one."Guys.."she said in a trembling voice,"The results of our O.W.L.s are here."She,Harry and Ron moved to three corners of the room to tear open the envelopes and look inside at the same time.Ron gave a whoop as he said that he had passed every subject with Exceeding Expectations,except a Fair in Potions,while Harry smiled as he had mixed E's and O's.Everyone now turned to Hermione,who had previously gone very pale."I did okay...I guess.."Ginny snatched the results from out of her hand."All Outstandings?!"she gaped.Hermione smiled meekly."Way to go Hermione!"Harry congratulated.Ron whistled,"What did I tell ya,if you're sleeping with a p-""Oh,don't you start again Ronald Weasley!"Hermione said crossly,putting her hands on her hips."Sirius would've been so proud."Molly sniffed into a handkerchief.Mr.Weasley came and gave Hermione a sideways hug,shaking her,"He is congratulating you from up there.Now,don't you all have to go to Diagon Alley to buy all your stuff?"......................................
"Mercy,my Lord,mercy!"Snape begged,kneeling down in front of Voldemort as he raised his wand again to torture him.This time Voldemort hit the back wall instead in anger."Another attempt at the mudblood's life,wasted!There is no torture in this world which I can possibly concoct that can quell the rage in my heart!"Snape breathed heavily as his tormentor took a break."It's like the prophesy slipped right through my fingers."he said wiggling his long-nailed fingers in the air,"Do you happen to know what it said?"Although he knew that Voldemort knew he was excellent at occlumency,still he dared not open his mind."H-how would I know,my Lord?"he asked feigning innocence. Voldemort turned his fiery red eyes at him,"When I invaded Granger's mind I saw glimpses of you.Though not very clearly..the girl had somehow found a way of blocking me,but it was definitely you.And again,when I was leaving I saw you crouching beside her body-""I was only checking whether she was alive or whether your endeavour was successful."Snape said quickly .Voldemort contemplated this,"It has also come to my attention that you were sighted more than once in close proximity of her."Snape reflected back on the instances of the pictures of the two of them coming out in the Daily Prophet and more recently,Rita Skeeter spotting them together in the restaurant at Hogsmeade.He cursed himself and thought he ought to be more careful about their relation in public."I was just following your orders,my lord.I was merely trying to privy myself with as much information as I could get my hands on,even if it costed me to break my barriers and get acquainted with the likes of her.I gained her trust and also penetrated to the inner circle of the Order of the Phoenix."Snape said,trying to sound truthful.Voldemort narrowed his gaze on him,"Have you grown to care for the girl?"Snape's eyes widened."My Lord,I pray you not to humiliate me in this manner.Me,care for that girl...that-that..Mudblood?!"he forced himself to say."She is the thorn embedded in the road to your success;the crack in the lens,the fly in the ointment.And I'm waiting for the day when you will pluck the carcass of that fly and toss it away.Oh,how I await the day of your coronation to the throne of this world."he took the road of flattery to divert him and it worked somewhat.Then Bellatrix gave a hideous cackle,"Atleast some good came out of that day.It contented my heart to see Granger crumbling like stale bread when I killed her faithful little puppy-dog!"Snape gritted his teeth and glared at her but Voldemort said,"Ah,but what of my other followers?So many got themselves arrested,that idiot Lucius being one of them."Narcissa Malfoy,who was standing nearby,let out a snivel.Voldemort ignored that and continued,"Black's death may have been a blow to her heart but he was nothing to me.He met the same sticky end her parents did.I mean to asphyxiate her first before exterminating.My target is to get the big one."He went away laughing maniacally.Narcissa walked towards Snape then,"Severus,we need to talk."...................................................
Hermione,Ron,Harry and Ginny were roaming around Diagon alley buying all the necessities,when they chanced upon Malfoy,scurrying up the street alone.They decided to follow him as his actions looked guilt-ridden.They saw him enter Borgin and Burkes,a store full of dark objects.They pressed themselves against the wall,out of sight and tried to eavesdrop in on the conversation between the store owner and Malfoy.He seemed to threaten him with something in his hand and ordered the owner to fix something.After hesitating some, he agreed and swore absolute secrecy.Draco stalked out of the shop looking satisfied."I'm no mind-reader but I can tell that little git is up to something."Harry said.Hermione stared long at the retreating figure of Draco,his nervous demeanor and alertness and said,"That's axiomatic.".......................................
Everyone gathered around the back garden of Grimmauld place,where they had erected a tombstone for Sirius.Hermione stood in front of that and waved her wand to form a bouquet of white roses that she placed there.She had sworn that she would'nt cry and just kissed her hand amd placed it on the cold stone.She stepped aside for the others to offer their condolences too and Remus gave a speech."He always complained about the fleas,whenever he was in his animagus form.I hope he has found solace where he is now."he finished,trying to lighten the mood.Hermione saw Kreacher standing at a window and looking down at them.She didn't talk to him and soon they left for the Burrow."Presents!"Ron announced."Oh,shush,Ron.You are more excited than Hermione and it's her birthday.Here you go dear,go ahead and open it."Molly said and gave her the present on behalf of herself and Mr.Weasley.Hermione opened it to reveal an antique omniocular.Ron gifted her a set of wizard's chess.Ginny gave her a very good collection of wonderwitch products and Harry a game of Exploding snaps.Lupin's gift was the Book of Thoth,which was a book of ancient magic used by the Egyptian god of wisdom and magic, Thoth. It was said to contain two spells—one to understand animals and one to understand the mind of the gods,and Tonks gave her a wink before giving her a Lunascope.Fred and George supplied her with a load of products from their jokeshop and Neville gave her a self-stirring collapsible cauldron,but she felt he needed it more than her.Luna gave her a pair of spectrespecs,to spot nargles and a ring which she claimed would make the wearer able to project his/her astral form out of their bodies.Hermione was wearing a baby pink tulle dress and she twirled around to the music that was being played.

Hermione was wearing a baby pink tulle dress and she twirled around to the music that was being played

She was having a good time but only missed her lover."Oh no no,I won't let the birthday girl work tonight."Molly said,taking the plate of food away from Hermione,who was trying to carry that to the guests."Hey,where's Professor Snape?How come he's not here by now?"Neville asked her."Probably forgot.Or doesn't care for our tomfoolery,as he would call it."Ron commented stuffing his face."He's a pariah."Harry said.If truth be told,Hermione was feeling a bit put off too.From the very morning,she had been expecting,he would be the first to wish her but when that didn't happen,she hoped the very least he could do was to show up at the party.But he did neither and she was growing stymied."Poppycock!Don't take such tripe from your friends.I'm sure your boyfriend is on his way and is probably late since he is totally flummoxed picking out a gift for you."Molly said,absentmindedly wiping the kitchen counter.Hermione wasn't sure how good Professor Snape and the word 'boyfriend' sounded together but she let that pass when she saw Kingsley Shacklebolt assiduously walk into the house.He turned down the wine offered to him by Mr.Weasley and engaged in a swift conversation with him and Lupin.Thinking that the discussion was serious,Tonks and Molly also joined in.During their discourse Molly looked at Hermione and covered her mouth with her hand.Even Fred and George quit goofing around and grew somber."Oh,Hermione dear..."Molly said coming closer and patted her hand.Hermione was really freaking out.They decided amongst themselves that Lupin should tell her the news.He looked at her commiserativly and said in a hushed tone,"We can't find Severus......He's missing."