Chapter One: The Man Of Steel

The sky had darkened from bleak gray to a familiar black by the time Silvia took to the streets

The sky had darkened from bleak gray to a familiar black by the time Silvia took to the streets. The relentless downpour of the morning had since tapered off into a softly falling mist which managed to paint the area in a strangely dwindling light. This was the time that criminals rummaged and inflicted chaos upon Metropolis. They travelled in the slums, through the poorest areas of the city and formed petty alliances for the smallest of jobs.

The so-called 'Superheroes' that strutted around in the daylight hours were of no use, in Silvia's quite experienced opinion. They pretended that they fought for justice, but the criminals they caught were locked up for barely a week before they were out killing again. Silvia was one of the few that put an end to that relentless cycle. She did what the weak feared to do.

The girl's pale fingers grazed against her clothed thigh, feeling the chill of metal through her thin tights and smirking. The main district had been fairly abandoned besides the occasional midnight straggler (usually a worker returning from a night-long shift).

When she finally arrived at the park it had grown ever darker. The shadows of the trees blended into the blackness and their silhouettes against the sky was less pronounced than she was accustomed to. Where a lesser persons sight disappeared, sound seemed to emerge as if the volume had been steadily turned upward. The breaking of a simple leaf or twigs became the focus. Luckily Silvia was not lesser; she was enhanced. It was still dark, a minor inconvenience, but she could see very clearly the group of men that stood at the edge of the park.

They were all fairly burly; chords of muscle wrapped loosely around their arms but only one of them had legs of any particularly impressive size. The others had obviously forgotten to tone the rest of their bodies. Silvia huffed, costume shifting uncomfortably with every step she took. They didn't look like they'd put up an entertaining fight...

She could hear their mumbling from ten yards away, but as she approached it only became louder. The pathetic thugs nudged and poked at each other, smirking and puffing their chests out. "Nice outfit, Doll-face." One of them whistled.

Silvia pulled to a halt several metres away and cocked her head. She reached up and slipped a fabric mask over her face, shoving long strands of blonde hair beneath it. The mask bore the image of a jagged, messily drawn skull-like face, washed in faded navy. "You too."

She yanked the sawn off shotgun from her back with her right hand, pointed it at the face of the nearest thug and squeezed the trigger. A mind-rattling 'bang' consumed the silence as the thug's head exploded in a backwards funnel of meat, shredded bone and brains. Silvia was intoxicated by the silence that followed, and the horrified expressions that twisted to the rest of the criminal's faces. The end of the shotgun was flipped and rested on her shoulder as her free hand fell to her hip. "Hmm... I was expecting a little more blood."

Their eyes glazed over like an icy puddle, staring at the body in horror. Silvia could see every small change in their faces, every twitch until they jolted into survival mode. The shortest of the men gritted his teeth with an animalistic growl and Silvia muttered "Finally" before shoving her shotgun onto her back once more. The thug darted toward her, fist clenched and aiming directly for her nose. The masked woman dodged the hit almost effortlessly, and before the smaller man could even register that he had missed, she had reached to her thigh and grabbed a pistol from its holster.