Chapter Twenty-Three: Making Plans

It had just stopped raining when Silvia heard about the recent attack on Metropolis

It had just stopped raining when Silvia heard about the recent attack on Metropolis. She had gotten dressed in record time and sped as fast as her legs could carry her down to the centre of the city... but by the time she got there it was over.

Green Lantern, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Starfire, Cyborg, and Shazam were all there cleaning up the mess. She also spotted a rather short boy that was entirely green. No, not just his clothes, his skin, hair and everything but the whites of his eyes were coloured in that shade. He even had fangs on his bottom set of teeth. Beast Boy, that was his name. She had seen him pop up a few times when she decided to do some research on Starfire.

In the distance she saw Superman lifting the culprit into the air, likely to take him back to jail. His gaze caught hers as if the mask still covering her face was no obstacle for him and he smiled. He almost looked proud to see her there. Silvia bit her lip and looked away, grumbling something about him looking like a doofus.

Superman's grin widened but he couldn't stay to tease her about it. Before she knew it he was gone, and she was left standing awkwardly within a throng of so-called heroes.

To say that she appeared out of place would be an understatement. The rest of them at least had some colour to their costumes, even Nightwing had bits of blue on him, but she was draped in shadows with a mask that would send a small child into a fit of terror if she ever tried to save one.

Shazam spotted her just as she turned to leave and quickly flew in front of her. He towered compared to her; she only barely came up to his chest. That made the truth even more awkward.

"Reaper! I need to talk to you!" He boomed, his voice carrying through the vicinity much more than it would have if he was in his true form.

"Look, I'm not going to tell anyone about your secret if that's what this is about." Silvia replied in a hushed tone, glancing over her shoulder to see that Shazam's volume had grabbed the attention of some of the others.

"Oh, thank goodness!" He sighed, wiping the sweat from his brow. "Then maybe you'd like to go bowling with me tonight! A ton of my friends from school are going!"

Silvia felt something become lodged in her throat, but that was nothing compared to how taken back she was by his invitation. To hear something so childish come out of such a large men was still daunting. "Umm... I don't think so."

"Aww come on, please? You already know my identity and I know yours, we should try and get along!" Shazam's eyes seemed to plead at her in a way that may have been cute on a kid, but on a grown man it was just weird. "You can bring your friends too if you want!"

Silvia stifled a laugh. Friends? She couldn't have less of them if she tried. "Look I appreciate the offer, pipsqueak, but I really don't understand why you're asking me of all people."