Chapter Fifty-four: Reign of the Supermen

'Superman has returned', that's what the reporter had said

'Superman has returned', that's what the reporter had said. Silvia scoffed at the thought. She remembered the aching shock that ran through her body. She remembered her own eyes staring at the television screen, not even daring to blink... and then she remembered the man they had shown, if you could even call him that.

He was massive, his sharp jaw only intensified by the cold metal adorning it. Half of his body was missing and replaced with cybernetics, including his face. Martha had fainted at the sight of it, and Silvia almost joined her.

He looked like Clark... but he wasn't. He couldn't be. There had been many threats since Superman's death, and without him there to stop them thousands of people had died. Maybe even millions. There were projects to build a new hero, one that could equal Superman. Surely this was one of those. Either way Silvia knew it wasn't really him. Clark was dead, she was there. She saw him take his last breath.

Since then there had been two more reports on various Supermen claiming to be Clark. Over time it evolved from being shocking to disrespectful then all the way up to disgusting. Martha and Silvia would watch the news trying to decipher which one of them was the real Superman as if they'd forgotten he had died. It enraged them both.

They stayed in the farm, never once making the trip to Metropolis to see the supposed flock of Kryptonians for themselves. None of them visited, and this only solidified their certainty that none of them were really Clark. Still the longer this charade continued unanswered, the more irritated Silvia became. The name of Superman meant something, Clark had spent years building it up, and now a group of misfits thought they had a right to claim it for themselves.

Silvia had tried to distract herself by learning how to take care of the farm. She did everything that Jonathan use to do, though she wasn't exactly good at it. The dairy cows had kicked her at least a dozen times when she first attempted milking them, and the sheep refused to be herded into their places by her. She was, however, quite skilled at carrying large stacks of hay out to the animals.

The days work had just been completed when she walked in to find the television on again. On the screen were the three people claiming to be Superman; the half robot that was now being called 'Cyborg Superman' (which was the most ridiculous name Silvia had ever heard, by the way), another that looked exactly like Superman but wore a big yellow visor over his eyes named the 'Eradicator', and the last one that went by 'Superboy'. He looked no older than nine, but according to Martha, he looked like Clark when he was young.

Silvia pulled the old straw hat from her head and glared at the images. She wanted to prove that none of them were who they say they were, she wanted to stop the ridiculous amount of coverage this story was getting... and more than any of that, she wanted to get through one day without having to hear about these pretenders.

"Looks like you'd better start packing." Martha said from across the room, gaze fixed on Silvia's expression.

The girl furrowed her brow. "What do you mean?"