Chapter Fifty-Six: Renegade

Silvia had taken Superboy back to Victor, who then ran a few simple tests

Silvia had taken Superboy back to Victor, who then ran a few simple tests. He was definitely Kryptonian, and not just that, he had Clark's specific DNA. There was something else too, an abnormality that he couldn't quite detect, one surprisingly... human. If nothing else they discovered that he was growing at a rapid rate and within a few weeks he had hit puberty.

Silvia acted as his guardian, and let him live in her underground lair, but she honestly felt bad for the kid. To go from eight years old to fourteen in such a limited time span must have been extremely difficult...

Silvia had convinced a few of the others to accept him as an ally, but Superboy was constantly going against what was expected of him. The rebellious teen faze had set in, and Silvia felt less than equipped to deal with it. It was at this time that she started greatly regretting not sending him back to Smallville. Martha had already raised one incredible person, she would have done a better job then Silvia could.

It was too late though. She would just have to grin and bare it... but whenever she smiled at him Superboy became highly irritated... or when she laughed, or spoke, or sneezed, or did practically anything else. She couldn't even stand near him without the boy marching off to find a spot free of adults.

Things were so easy when he was a kid, but now Silvia felt like she was knee deep in quick sand - she was going to sink no matter which direction she tried to go in. Their lives largely consisted of voids of empty silence, and fighting the occasional villain that would appear. In these instances though, Superboy was unconventionally violent. He didn't kill anyone, but he made them so terrified that they wished that he would.

Whoever was present would stop him and remind the boy that Superman never hurt people, not even the worst scum on the earth, unless he had no other option. This only seemed to make him more irritated.

"Clark knew the difference between right and wrong, kid." Steel spoke up after a particularly intense fight. "He was firm in his beliefs, and he stood against anyone that disagreed. He didn't throw villains weaker than him into street lamps, he gave them a chance. Maybe you should reconsider today's choices."

Superboy snarled at the man angrily, lip twitching upward and eyes fighting the urge to burst into heat rays. "Back off, tin man."

Silvia suppressed the laugh that forced itself through her throat, lips tightening to refuse the sound from being released. She took a deep breath, processing that this was a little more serious than she was treating it to be. "He's only trying to help."

"How?" Superboy spat back. "By doing what the rest of you do? Comparing me to some dead guy?"

Silvia jumped back at the pain his words sent to her chest. Was that what Clark was now? Just some old dead corpse with nothing left to teach... Harsh. Steel flashed Silvia a sympathetic look, obviously aware of her pain despite her unreadable expression.