Chapter Thirty-Eight: Echoes of the past

*5 Years Earlier*

*5 Years Earlier*

Clark was faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but super hearing surpassed all of that once. This was the night that he heard the single greatest sound he'd ever known.

Clark's blue eyes snapped open, the sheets shifting around him as he sat up in his bed. The apartment around him hadn't changed but the woman sleeping next to him stirred at the sudden movement. She turned around, eyes groggily meeting his gaze.

"What is it, Dorothy?" She murmured tiredly. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

Silvia's voice found air but it was merely white noise to Clark who was still concentrating on the sound that had awoken him. The sound of two heartbeats coming from one person.

His stare broke and in little to no time at all he had jumped out of bed and started pacing around the room. Silvia watched him in absolute confusion.

"We need to get everything checked thoroughly. I'll contact Star Labs. There are people there I trust to be discreet." Clark mumbled but it was uncertain whether he was talking to Silvia or himself.

"Dorothy...?" Silvia rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes to see the pondering man more clearly.

"There shouldn't be any danger in the first trimester but I'm not going to leave it to chance. We'll need a bigger place, obviously."

"What are you talking about?"

He paused, one hand reaching under his chin as if he were still in deep thought. "Maybe we should also consider moving away from Metropolis, Smallville would be a much safer and more private place to raise a child... Though I'd prefer the Metropolis High school to-"

A book flew across the room and whacked across his head with a mean 'thwack'. It didn't hurt him, of course, but he knew that it had happened. This pulled him out of his own mind long enough to glance over at Silvia.

He picked up the book and blinked. "Did you just throw this at me?"

"You're invulnerable. I should be able to throw satisfyingly hard objects at you sometimes." Silvia joked though her body language said different. She got out of bed as well and crossed her arms over her chest. "Mind telling me what's going on?"

"You... don't know?"

"If I did I'm sure your little outburst would've made sense." Silvia sighed.

Clark's mouth stretched into a grin but it was unlike any she had seen before. He looked overjoyed, proud, and amazed all at once. Even his eyes had glazed over with tears from pure happiness. "Sil... I..." He couldn't find the words. They were stuck in his throat like oxygen in a blocked airway. "You're..."

"I'm what?" Silvia tried to push for an answer, hip sticking out and finger tapping against her own arm impatiently.

Clark moved towards her, taking her small shoulders in his hands. "You're amazing." He answered, unsure how to tell her about what he had heard. "And..."