Chapter Thirty-Two: Solitude

The wind gave one final shutter through Silvia's hair, pushing it back like a golden cape to match Superman's

The wind gave one final shutter through Silvia's hair, pushing it back like a golden cape to match Superman's. The window to Clark's apartment was open, the white curtains blowing in whichever direction the afternoon air wished it to. Superman carefully entered, his boots touching the carpet just as Silvia's did.

His apartment was right at the top of the complex over top of an abandoned alley. It was the kind of place that made it very difficult to be caught entering through the window. She supposed that he needed that with him being one of the most talked about people in the world. A picture of him was worth hundreds, his identity was surely worth thousands... maybe millions.

"You did well, Sil." Clark said with a smile that could light up any darkness.

"If you saw me earlier you wouldn't be saying that." Silvia replied sheepishly.

Clark shook his head, a chuckle sounding from his throat. "Yeah, Bruce told me about that. No one can blame you, the Watchtower would be a nightmare for anyone afraid of heights."

"You were at the Watchtower?"

"I was passing by." Clark answered. "I wanted to see how you were."

Silvia's lips formed an 'o' and she glanced down to the ground guiltily. "I'm sorry... You had the whole world to worry about, you shouldn't have had to be concerned about me."

Clark's finger grazed under her chin and gently tilted her face back up to look at him. "Silvia... You are my world." He stared at her adoringly, leaning down to kiss her cheek. "Now, turn around for me."

Silvia's heart felt so full at his words. He made her question every promise she ever made to herself. He made her open up when she didn't even want to let herself in. He helped her to breathe when she didn't want to anymore and he helped her see that it's okay to fall in love. Silvia's mouth melted into a smile of awe and she turned, not bothering to express her curiosity.

She felt something being placed around her neck and quickly glanced down to see the familiar sparkling jewel of the necklace Clark had given her before. She gasped at the sight, hand instantly reaching up to grip it protectively.

"But Clark!" Silvia said in a surprised tone, spinning back around to face him. "Bruce said-"

"Forget what he said. I gave it to you; it's yours. I should've told you this before...but I wanted you to make up your own mind. That crystal holds the work of a great kryptonian scientist named Jor-El...my father. His research into kryptonian medicine included an in-dept deconstructive analysis on our people's physiology. With that kind of data, my enemies could learn what makes me tick. They could find weaknesses I don't even know about yet."

Silvia shivered. "Then please take it back! It's too important to be giving to me..."

"I have no doubt that it's safest with someone like you." Clark stepped closer to her, eyes sparkling down at her. "Sil, I don't just trust you with my own life. I trust you with my people's."