Chapter Twenty-Nine: Night Life

The necklace was still hanging from Silvia's neck a few days later when Starfire decided to pay her a visit

The necklace was still hanging from Silvia's neck a few days later when Starfire decided to pay her a visit. The fiery-haired woman had flown straight through her window completely unannounced and scared Silvia half to death.

The blonde was backed up against the kitchen counter, chest heaving and eyes wide. Her mind took a little longer than usual registering that there was no danger around, and this was made even clearer when Starfire gave a goofy wave.

"Kori, you really need to stop coming around here." Silvia sighed, taking a few deep breaths to calm her pounding heart.

"Oh, yes. Cyborg says the same thing." She replied happily, though there was something beneath that tone that Silvia couldn't recognise. "But this time Dick sent me."

Silvia bit her lip to stifle a chuckle. She still couldn't believe that he willingly went by that name. "D-Did he now?" She replied, voice shaking with the tremors of laughter.

"He informed me that he was taking you to Bruce's party." She said, voice a little less enthusiastic than it had been a second ago. "It's on tonight at six. He forgot to mention it before."

"Of course he did." Silvia sighed, pushing away from the counter and beginning to rummage through the pantry. "Did he tell you where I'm meant to be meeting him?"

"Umm..." Kori hummed, scratching the side of her head with a clueless laugh.

The blonde shook her head. "Don't worry. Just tell him I'll find my own way there."

Starfire nodded but made no effort to leave. With every passing second the cold air from outside blew into the apartment, soaked in by the thin walls and evaporating any heat Silvia had been attempting to keep inside.

"Do you know where it is?" The alien asked. "I am told that it is quite easy to find but I always seem to have trouble."

"If I follow the path of wealth and overcompensation then I'm sure I won't have any trouble." She pulled out a packet of chicken and corn noodles and started heating up the water in the kettle. She had been living off of that stuff for years, so much so that it was starting to have no flavour at all for her. Silvia turned to finally face Kori as she waited, seeing a troubled look on the girl's face. She gave a large exhale. "Hey... uh... about Richard and I... I just wanted you to know that it's nothing to be concerned about."

Kori blinked up at her, eyes widening in surprise. "Oh! That does not bother me." She said honestly. "We may have been together in the past but that never affects our future relations. It is something we agreed on many years ago."

Silvia looked a little taken back by her understanding, especially considering how clueless Starfire was at the best of times, but she managed to find her voice again quickly after. "Why do you look so disheartened if that's not what's getting to you?"