Chapter Sixteen: Frost Bite

In the wasteland of white there was nothing for Silvia's mind to hang on to

In the wasteland of white there was nothing for Silvia's mind to hang on to. There was no familiar sight, no sound other than the howling of wind, even her enhanced durability was no match for cold this severe. Only her hearts rapid beating stopped her from becoming as frozen as the ground she walked on.

When Silvia whirled around to at least see the tracks she had made, there were none. The only way to navigate was by the sun and it was already sinking below the horizon, leaving her shivering under the stars.

She was starting to regret leaving the little camp they had set up, but she had to get away. She was becoming too involved in these matters... She should have never opened her mouth.

The snow she was trudging through kept getting thicker the longer she walked until it clung around her kneecaps and left her practically dragging her legs through it. The moment she reached the edge of the mountain Silvia took the opportunity to sit down.

The freezing cold stuck to her skin and her clothes but she tried desperately to ignore it. Perhaps, if she was lucky, she'd die out there and not have to deal with the awkward plane ride home. The girl trembled, teeth chattering and arms wrapping around herself in an attempt to keep warm.

The last thing she expected was for someone to appear from beneath the mountain, floating over the gaping hole with a broad smile and their arms crossed. Silvia jumped at the sudden sight, almost tilting off the edge in the process.

"What the fuck?!" Silvia yelled in a panicked tone, hand grasping the fabric over her chest. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Superman's smile widened. "I'm glad I didn't, then."

"Yeah? Well maybe next time you can announce yourself." Silvia took a deep breath in an attempt to calm her rapidly beating heart. Her lungs wheezed in her chest, rattling against the vicious cold. "What are you still doing here anyway?"

"I had to make sure the probe was properly installed and that nobody had any...accidents out here. This environment can be harsh."

Silvia tried to concentrate on the man but with him hovering over such a steep drop, it was hard to look anywhere but over the mountains edge. "That still doesn't explain why you followed me."

"It does. By this stage you'll be an icicle before you get the chance to head back." Superman didn't look the least bit bothered by the temperature, even in his unbelievably thin costume. Silvia wasn't even surprised anymore. "I know that we've never been introduced but I'm here to help."

"Yeah... If you don't count locking me in jail as an introduction." Silvia rolled her eyes when Superman feigned confusion. "Don't play dumb. I knew you could see through my mask when you met me."