Chapter Thirty: Heavy Metal

"This just in; there's been an attack on downtown Metropolis

"This just in; there's been an attack on downtown Metropolis." The news anchor's voice echoed through the empty apartment. "Superman was quick on the scene but so far there has been no development. We advise everyone to stay away from these areas of the city."

A diagram appeared on the screen just as Silvia popped her head around the corner. The danger areas were highlighted in red and the safe zones in green. For once Southside was completely out of harms way.

It was odd that Superman hadn't settled the matter though. Usually these attacks were a fairly easy task for him. Silvia shook her head. She wasn't going to sit there and worry about him.

"There hasn't been much information about the assailant. Only that he extends beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements."

Silvia leaned over her bed and grabbed hold of one of the handbags she received at the party. She poured its contents out onto her mattress and tried to distract herself by sifting through it.

"So far there have been around five deaths and over twenty severe injuries."

A Rolex watch sat glistening against the tattered blankets. Something so expensive looked incredibly out of place in her house; especially when it laid amongst gift certificates worth thousands and the newest phone on the market.

"The names of the confirmed deaths are 21 year-old Kaycee Adams, 42 year-old Lyn Alys, 30 year-old Gilbert Knight-"

Silvia took one of the gift cards between her index finger and thumb, turning it in her hand and blinking wide-eyed at the number sketched onto it. Two thousand dollars. She could get so many Rambo figures with that... If it weren't for a high-end clothing store.

"70 year-old Blake Keller, and his 5 year-old grandson Marty Keller."

Silvia dove into the bottom of the bag and brought out a small box - inside was a diamond bracelet with sapphires embedded in so many places that the silver was barely visible.

"After Superman arrived on the scene he managed to stop any further injuries, but the fight has yet to finish."

She could definitely sell this and get her own motorcycle with the money. She may even be able to move out of Southside... though she doubted that there was anywhere else she could belong.

"More on this story as soon as we receive an update. Until then stay within the safe zones of Metropolis."

The television darkened and the image switched to an advertisement for a new burger at McDonalds. Finally Silvia's gaze flicked up and the things in her hands fell back against the mattress. The distractions in front of her couldn't occupy her mind for long, especially not when Clark may be struggling.

Any anger she felt towards the man was irrelevant. The fact that he hadn't resolved this yet made certain that something was wrong... but what could she possibly do to help? She didn't have powers like him. If he couldn't finish it then how could she?