Chapter Fifteen: Welcome To The Planet

From the window of the plane the wing engine was semi-illuminated, the lower half shining around the rim, the upper half several shades darker

From the window of the plane the wing engine was semi-illuminated, the lower half shining around the rim, the upper half several shades darker. As the plane dipped the line between shadow and light moved, and the hum of the rotors vibrated through their ears.

No matter how salubrious the furnishings inside the airplane were, to Silvia it would never be more than a flying metal tube... One that she was not comfortable trusting her life with.

Silvia's nails dug into the arm rests, eyes forced shut and jaw tensing with every jolt the plane gave. This was her first time flying and probably her last.

Next to her sat Jimmy Olsen, a rather tall boy with flaming red hair and freckles dotted around his face. He still wore that stupid watch but, thankfully, hadn't been clicking it like last time. On the opposite side, facing her, was Clark and beside him was Lois Lane. They hadn't said much to each other yet but she now remembered her from the attack on Metropolis.

Silvia took a deep breath, refusing to look so restless in front of people she barely knew... and especially not in front of Clark.

"I hope you're as good as Clark says you are." Lois finally spoke, only sparing a small glance up from her notepad. "You're representing the Daily Planet now. It's a huge responsibility."

Silvia rolled her eyes but, for Clark's sake, didn't talk back. She simply crossed her arms and pretended to be looking out the window.

"Trust me, Lois." Clark replied. "I'm surprised the Daily Star hasn't snatched her up yet."

Silvia fidgeted nervously in her seat. Clark had never even seen her write before... let alone an article. He was doing all of this for her and it was making her feel extremely uneasy. No one had ever given her a chance before, so it was completely unheard of for someone to stick their neck out for her. It not only filled her with a sense of dread, fear of the inevitable conclusion of her letting him down, but with a stronger attachment to him.

The plane ride was torturously long. Silvia opted to sleeping through most of it just so she wouldn't be a part of the awkward silence, no doubt caused by her.

Once they had landed Silvia was the first to leave. She pushed to her feet and rushed out as if she feared the plane would take off again with her inside.

The biting cold instantly chilled her fingers into clumsy numbness, seeping into her shoes and spreading painfully throughout her feet as if they were bare against the pristine icy whiteness rather than covered with sneakers. Her lips turned a more blueish hue and her teeth chattered as the others followed her outside.

The frigid wind poked her like icy fingers and wrapped around her like a shawl woven from the snow itself as they begun to walk through the frozen wasteland. Lois was leading them, pure determination etched on her face. Silvia was right at the end, shivering relentlessly.