Chapter Eighteen: Close Encounters

At the ice cream parlour Silvia stood with her hands spread over the chilled glass like two starfish

At the ice cream parlour Silvia stood with her hands spread over the chilled glass like two starfish. If there had only been three choices she would have picked one long ago, but the array put her mind into a plethora of possibilities.

There wasn't just all the flavours, but all the possible combinations. At least the choice of cone was simple enough, a waffle cone dipped in chocolate with sprinkles. It didn't come cheap of course, but she wasn't the one paying.

At first she felt a little bad about it, insisting that she get the cheapest thing there but Clark had persuaded Silvia to get whatever she wanted... and that just happened to be a sugar rush. Eventually she opted for two scoops of choc mint whilst Clark got three of Neapolitan.

As they took their seats the far end of the parlour, Silvia could still hear the other customers ordering. One little boy in particular hadn't even looked at the glass for longer than two seconds before yelling "I want the Superman one!"

Silvia felt her ears burn at the name and whipped her head around. There was a sign hanging above the counter that she, for some reason, had missed before. It had a cone of ice cream that clashed in three different colours; red, blue and yellow.

It was apparently pretty popular as the boy that ordered it had acquired the very last helping. Silvia huffed. She couldn't believe that they were naming ice cream after him now...There truly was no escaping him if she couldn't even enjoy her favourite treat without hearing about him.

"So... Ice cream, huh?" Clark spoke up and when Silvia turned back he had already eaten half of his treat.

"Got a problem with that, Dorothy?" Silvia smirked, starting on her own cone.

"Not at all. I just never pictured you as the type."

"Well, I've got an incurable sweet tooth." Silvia could feel her ice cream beginning to drip onto her fingers, she licked it instantly without any concern for whether she looked impolite. "Sue me."

"Actually it's probably a good thing. I prefer this to coffee any day." Clark had somehow already gotten down to his cone; any last remaining dairy product stuffed inside and out of view.

Silvia shook her head. "That doesn't exactly surprise me. You put at least six sugars in your coffee that day you invited me to the cafe. I don't know how you're in such good shape with all the horrible food you eat."

There was a pause. One that lasted far too long for Silvia's comfort before Clark glanced back up at her. He smirked and his eyes arched in amusement beneath his glasses. "You think I'm in good shape, Miss Stone?" He said the last part mockingly, using the professional address as if her reactions were more entertaining that way.