Chapter Twenty-One: Overtime

Weeks of dating slowly moved into months, and that one kiss turned into many

Weeks of dating slowly moved into months, and that one kiss turned into many. They always had a lasting effect on Silvia, who could swear she still felt the warmth they left on her lips hours afterwards. Her relationship with Clark had left her vulnerable, some may even say weak, but she had never been happier... This terrified her. She figured it wouldn't last, nothing ever did.

Still, this didn't drive her away from him. It only brought her closer. She tried to appreciate that small ray of hope before it was snuffed out.

Silvia was just about to meet Clark at the ice cream parlour when she got a text message. Apparently Perry was making him work overtime and he simply couldn't make it. Of course Silvia was a little disappointed, but she decided to visit him at the Daily Planet instead. She had already left the house anyway.

The way there was the same as always; a broken down walkway that suddenly turned into a sparkling new one as she entered central Metropolis. School holidays were in effect so the streets were a little more crowded than usual. This meant that the lines were also much longer.

Silvia had waited at least half an hour at the bakery, and about an hour at the cafe. It was even a struggle finding her way to the Daily Planet building. There were so many people it was like being stuck in traffic... but without a car.

When she finally arrived at the building the afternoon was almost over, though Clark said he was working until dinner so he was likely to still be there... or so she thought. When she arrived there the usually packed interior was near empty. Lois was typing at her keyboard though much slower than usual, and Jimmy was flipping through photographs. The only other people there were already packing up to leave. Clark wasn't among them.

Silvia raised an eyebrow at the scene, eyes still scanning for any sign of him. When she found no trace she was forced to rely on the help of others. She shuttered at the thought. Asking people for assistance wasn't her strong suit...

She immediately crossed Lois off her list. Silvia was fairly certain the reporter wanted nothing more to do with her, and she honestly couldn't blame her.

Instead Silvia opted for asking Jimmy who at least didn't roll his eyes at the sight of her. In fact, a large grin stretched across his face that he tried desperately to hide from Lois.

"Afternoon, Silvia." He said in his usual cheer. "Did you need something?"

"I was just looking for Clark. Any idea where he's gone?"

Jimmy's smile seemed to extend when she mentioned his co-workers name. He apparently knew what was going on between the two of them. This expression quickly fell after a quick glance over his shoulder. "He was here not long ago..." He mumbled to himself.