Chapter Forty: Godfall

Clark was practically fuming when he took Silvia back to his room

Clark was practically fuming when he took Silvia back to his room. Despite her constant reminding that she was a fast healer he still checked her vitals and cleaned up the cut above her eye. Her Clark tended to worry about her as well, but nothing like this. He knew that she could stand her own ground against someone like Damian, as much as he disapproved of it. This Superman though... he treated her like some fragile little doll.

Silvia wasn't one to enjoy being treated like a child but she knew that, after everything Kal-El had gone through, it wasn't unjustified. She sighed, trying to suppress any rude comments that urged its way up her throat. She was there to help. She wanted to help. To do that she'd have to get to know this worlds Superman, just like Clark had done with her.

"Hey... Clark?" She said in the softest voice she could manage, it definitely didn't come naturally. Not only was it a struggle to call this stranger the same name as the man she loved, but sweetness often sounded like mockery when coming from her mouth... probably because it was most of the time. "I know you're really busy and you've already sacrificed enough time on my behalf, but I was hoping that we could, you know, talk?"

Kal-El looked a little taken back by her words, meaning that he stared at her and blinked a few times instead of avoiding her gaze altogether. He cleared his throat, shifting on the spot and trying to hide the slight spark of light that had quickly appeared and vanished in his eyes. "I always have time for you."

Silvia wasn't sure how to feel; flattered, saddened, or sceptical. Still she took the opportunity while it was still there. "Well... umm... In my world, when you and I met, the first thing you did was arrest me. I was wondering if it was the same here?"

Kal-El's brow furrowed. "Why?"

"It would be cool to see what our worlds have in common, if there is anything." Honestly, she was craving some sense of familiarity. She hadn't even gotten accustomed to her own universe yet... let alone this one. "If that's alright with you, I mean."

Something flashed beneath the surface of his hardened expression and she was quick to investigate the sudden shift. It was too late, the emotion disappeared before Silvia could identify it, like reaching desperately for an escaped balloon; the string dangling so tantalizingly close but the wind pushing it away.

For a while it seemed like the man would never answer her, then he straightened his posture and spoke. "There was a mass breakout at Strykers. I was the first on the scene, but just when I was about to finish rounding up the prisoners, Atomic Skull started attacking. I had to refocus my attention to recapturing him. While I was distracted Parasite started making his way towards me, hoping to catch me off guard. You... Silvia... shot him."

Her eyes widened slightly in disbelief. "Shot him? And that's all it took?"

"No, the gun used plasma... pure energy, and Parasite feeds off of energy. It made him stronger but the shot also made me aware of his presence. When she kept shooting him I thought she was insane. He was growing bigger, getting stronger, and no matter how many times I told her to stop shooting she didn't listen." His face was as unreadable as always but she could tell that thinking about it brought him some degree of peace. If it hadn't he would have gone silent by now. "Eventually the energy build up became too much for Parasite to store and he exploded."