Chapter Nineteen: Crossfire

The computer was dusty and archaic

The computer was dusty and archaic. Silvia doubted it had as much RAM as her morning workout. She plugged the charger into a nearby outlet and pressed the clunky power switch. An orange light glowed dimly on the front and the screen flashed into colour.

In an instant her desktop displayed that she had an email. Silvia was quick to open it. There was no sender, the slot was completely blank, but the message read loud and clear '7th Avenue in Queens street.' One of her targets had been spotted.

Silvia knew she'd have to go after him one way or another... but whether she was actually going to kill him or not remained a mystery. She wasn't willing to think about it as she got changed into her costume, nor when she grabbed a rifle from the wall. She even tried avoiding the thought when she passed the newly framed picture of her and Clark.

They had gone on four more dates since their first, the last being an amusement park. Clark had forced her to take a picture with him... but she didn't look at all happy about it. He was smiling bright enough to put the sun to shame, and next to him Silvia appeared to be sulking.

They were taking things slow, meaning they still hadn't kissed yet. Sometimes she wondered if they were actually dating or if they were going out as friends. The way he held her hand to walk her back home suggested that they were more than that... but Silvia wasn't use to people having any interest outside of a one night stand. She wasn't exactly sure which pace a real relationship was meant to move at.

Silvia, without ever looking back at the photo of Clark that was sure to fill her with guilt, hurdled out the window and into the night. She knew the perfect spot to set up her gun.

She hated assignments where she had to stakeout from a distance. She much preferred to kick the doors down and rush her target with guns blazing then to place a bolt action rifle a kilometre away then sitting there for four hours whilst the target turned up.

She had her mask pulled up over her mouth and popped handfuls of M&Ms in every minute or so. It distracted her from thinking about whether or not she was actually going to shoot this man...

Satisfied with her current mouth-load of chocolate, Silvia slipped her mask back down and pressed her cheek onto the stock of her sniper rifle. Peering down the scope, Silvia picked up movement in the window of the office tower. "Jesus. About time..." She muttered under her breath.

A bunch of people poured into this board room. Suits, all of them. Business types... Silvia quickly recognised her target and traced him with her crosshairs.

She saw his face...the smile on it when he shook everyone's hands as they entered and took a seat. She knew this scumbag had screwed people over in the past, and that was usually enough for Silvia to want to blow their head off. But it was different now...