Chapter Twelve: Two Birds, One Stone

Surprisingly, Suicide Slum had barely been touched by the attack

Surprisingly, Suicide Slum had barely been touched by the attack. Silvia figured it was because it was so fucked up in the first place that there was nothing left to destroy. The Kryptonians could have blasted a giant hole through the middle, and as long as her apartment was still standing, Silvia wouldn't have noticed.

She saw a few people scurrying back to their homes, or the gutters in most cases, but none looked severely injured. Granted though it would be hard to tell under the grime that covered their bodies.

It was rather odd to enter her apartment after such an eventful day. It had her wondering what exactly she was suppose to do after so much chaos... Was she meant to sit down with take-out and continue on with her night? Was this so normal for the others that they knew the answer?

As the days dragged on she was tormented by that question. She wasn't even sure whether to go back to work or just let things settle. She ended up doing the latter in the midst of her confusion, whether she meant to or not.

This did change eventually, primarily when she received an email on the whereabouts of The Ventriloquist. She was never one to leave a job unfinished. It looked absolutely horrid on her record when an old man and his puppet could effectively survive two of her attempted assassinations. Granted, Superman was to blame for both occasions, but the dark web were unlikely to know that.

Silvia clicked open the message faster than ever before, completely discarding the packet of chips that had been lying on her stomach - it had been another lazy day. The message contained one word, and one word only... Gotham. He had returned to the Dark Knight's city.

Silvia wasted no time in booking the next train out of Metropolis, packing only her Reaper costume and several weapons; four guns, multiple smoke grenades, and the shiv she still had from the prison break. It was all shoved into a large bag with a shoulder strap that Silvia dreaded using. It always dug into her skin, especially with the weight of the guns.

Still, this didn't stop her from heaving it onto her side and shuffling to the station. She blended in quite well, unlike most others in her field. She couldn't even imagine how challenging it would be for someone like Cyborg or Starfire to walk around unnoticed.

The train pulled up with a loud screech. The wheels halted and the carriages rattled on the metal railway. The crowd leapt at the open doors, pushing and shoving so that they were all inside before the doors shut again. Inside, however, was worse. Suitcases being wheeled over people's feet and bags swung into every direction were just a few of the many joys of boarding a train to Gotham.

It was a relief when Silvia finally found her seat, but this was swiftly snatched away as well when she realised that she had been put next to a particularly talkative passenger. The entire trip was spent in agony, listening to this woman speak about her family, holiday, and retirement.

Silvia was about ready to jump out the window when the train finally stopped at her destination. She said not one word of farewell to her annoying new 'friend', and rushed out of the carriage. Gotham now clouded her view like smoke from a wild forest fire, and it looked just like that; thick, dark and threatening. You'd think with how hard it was raining that forest fire would extinguish. It had the same atmosphere as the slums back at Metropolis, but despite how rich some neighbourhoods appeared, they were saturated in gloom.