Chapter Fifty-Three: Fallen Son

The farm grew up out of the pale green hills as if it had always been part of the scenery

The farm grew up out of the pale green hills as if it had always been part of the scenery. The house itself was a beautiful brick, the colours being the hues of the land herself, rustic brown striations on grey rock. It was any kids dream. It ran on for acres and had a plethora of animals stationed at every few clicks. It was only home to one woman now though, one too old and heartbroken to enjoy the vast beauty of such a place as well as maintain it.

Silvia trudged up the long driveway, a sack of clothes strapped to her back the whole way up. The sky stood as an inky canopy, swallowing her entire being and only leaving a few stars behind to guide her to the house.

She still remembered the sickening feeling in her stomach the moment she knocked on the door, and how it intensified when the wooden slab was swung open. She wasn't sure if Martha even approved of her, let alone wanted to see her. Any doubt vanished from her mind though when Martha collapsed in her arms, the very sight of her sending the woman into a ferocious cycle of grief.

Martha sobbed into her chest unceasingly, hands clutching at her jacket. Silvia held the woman in silence, rocking her slowly as tears soaked her chest. A tiny lapse let Martha pull away, blinking lashes heavy with tears, before she collapsed again, her howls of misery worsening. The pain must have come in waves, minutes of sobbing broken apart by short pauses for recovering breaths, before hurling her back into the outstretched arms of her losses.

Silvia tried to stay strong for the woman, holding herself upright and refusing any sobs to choke from her throat. Holding the pain back only made it worse, and eventually she couldn't stop her own stray tears from trickling down her cheeks. Her lip quivered and a whimper soon followed. She quickly bit it back, focusing all her energy on supporting Martha's weight. If she lost herself to the sorrow as well then she would surely lose all physical strength.

"My boy... my sweet boy..." Martha cried between bursts of sharp gasps and sobs. "They're gone... they're both gone..."

Silvia felt her breath hitch at the effort it took to not break down. Martha probably hadn't had anyone to hold her through her mourning, or to listen to her bawl. It was once Jonathan's job, then Clark's, and now the responsibility fell to Silvia. She rubbed the woman's back and let her weep for the family she had lost, every single wail like an icy dagger piercing her heart.

It was at least an hour later before they both made it back inside, but Martha seemed happy to have Silvia there. She had even given her Clark's old room, though this only reminded Silvia that he was gone.

It was exactly how she would picture Clark's childhood room to look. The small bed had been swapped out for a large one for the occasions he visited as an adult, but the rest of the room had been left largely untouched. There were framed pictures of his school friends, a football nestled in the corner, and a few awards onto of the wardrobe.