Chapter Twenty: Healing

In that eternity of nothingness there was a never ending pain, and without any control of her body she couldn't even cry or yell

In that eternity of nothingness there was a never ending pain, and without any control of her body she couldn't even cry or yell. That was the worst part. There was no release. Silvia felt like she was dying, or maybe she was already dead. The concept of losing her life had never phased her... until she met Clark. Now she was terrified that she'd never see his face again, or hear him ask her a million questions in one sitting.

Fear had a vice-like grip on her mind before flashes of light appeared. They happened in spurts that felt like they were hours apart, but each time she could glimpse at reality.

First it was a familiar room; off-white and surrounded in advanced technology. Then it was a woman, broad-shouldered and severe, her red hair twisted into the tightest of buns. She had a strangely blank, moon shaped face, wire-framed spectacles, and no makeup apart from a smear of yellow lipstick. Her mouth was moving but Silvia heard nothing but a loud buzzing noise. Next time Superman was there, staring down at her in a way that made her wish she were dead. Last was the room again - empty and alone.

Those were her only windows to the outside world for God knows how long. This ended on the day a new gasp of air filled her lungs and her whole body jolted back to life. It was like her brain was reconnecting to every muscle and limb, making them twitch out of control until they fell still.

Silvia's blue eyes snapped open to a familiar ceiling and she regained all her senses at once. She could hear the groaning of patients in the next room. She could smell the horrible hospital food being carted down the halls. It was like being reborn... but more painful.

The blonde girl tried to sit up but a wave of pain zapped through her. A grunt became lodged in her throat at the sudden feeling and she slowly laid back down. It didn't look like she was going to be moving for a while...

"Glad to see that you're awake." The same woman Silvia had seen before appeared from behind the curtain. Her gaze was fixed on the papers in her hand, pen hovering above the first page. "Do you know where you are?"

"Hell?" Silvia muttered through her pounding headache; it felt like her brain was being shredded from the inside out. The woman didn't look impressed and Silvia sighed. "S.T.A.R Labs."

The scientist quickly ticked something on her end of the paper then glanced back up. "And do you remember who brought you here?"

"No, but I'll take a wild guess and say it was Superman."

This time when the lady ran her pen across the paper she did it with a lot more precision. Silvia could almost imagine each line she was making before her brown eyes flicked back up. "Before we reveal your medical record I also need your full name and birthdate."