Chapter Thirteen: Black And Blue

The hospital room was a concrete pen with a window the size of a biscuit tin lid

The hospital room was a concrete pen with a window the size of a biscuit tin lid. It had a stagnant smell, like it was cleaned with plain water instead of disinfectant. The bed sat low to the ground, the frame baring the signs of rust and the mattress worryingly thin. Silvia bit her lip. From the moment she woke up she had been assessing how to leave without alerting the nurses. Staying promised to be a slowly unfolding nightmare, one she didn't intend on enduring.

A white curtain kept her seperate from the other patients but the room itself looked like no hospital she had ever seen... and she'd been admitted into almost every medical centre in Metropolis.

Passed the dirty old beds, there was large machines and technology. All of which looked new and a little too advanced. From her right she could see someone walking over to her. A tall woman with caramel skin and dark brown hair. Around her shoulders was draped a large white coat, in her hands a few dozen papers.

"Reaper, is it?" She asked casually, flicking through the papers and glancing up through half-moon spectacles.

At first Silvia was shocked, hands reaching up to her face and breath hitching when she realised her mask was gone.

"The costume gave it away rather quickly, I'm afraid." The stranger said, pointing to a bunch of folded black clothes behind her. "There's no need to concern yourself. We at S.T.A.R Labs are under oaths of secrecy." Silvia barely had time to give a sigh of relief when the woman spoke again. "You took quite a beating."

"You should see the other guy." Silvia smirked almost proudly.

"I did..." The woman frowned in disapproval then returned to her papers. "Fractured sternum and internal bleeding caused by a blade buried on the right side of your body. Not to mention a concussion, broken collarbone and multiple lacerations. You're lucky Superman brought you in when he did. Those are some serious injuries, even by your standard."

"I would have managed without him." Silvia retorted stubbornly.

"Your body was working on the breaks and fractures but that blade would have killed you if left unchecked." The woman whipped a pen out and started ticking something on the opposite end of her documents. "You should thank him if you ever see him again."

Silvia bared her teeth in irritation. "Not going to happen, Lady." She forced herself to sit up, refusing the gasp that threatened to escape at the pain that shot up her side. "Look, I appreciate all your hard work and all, but I'll be going now."

The woman, unlike at most medical centres, didn't seem compelled to stop her. In fact, she nodded as if it were common for her patients to leave straight away. "Of course... though I would like to discuss the traces of chemical additives in your system before you leave."