Chapter Thirty-Three: Smallville

The engine roared as they drove down the dirt road

The engine roared as they drove down the dirt road. Silvia was in the passengers seat of the old, worn-down ute and Clark was at the wheel. He didn't drive around Metropolis because there was simply no need to. He flew as often as he could, and if he was trying to blend in he'd just use public transport. When he went back home to Kansas though he always took his ute.

Silvia was shifting uncomfortably in her seat, eyes fixed on their surroundings as they passed. So much so that it was becoming obvious that she didn't want to be there. Tree... another tree... another tree...

Clark freed one of his hands from the wheel and placed it on her thigh reassuringly. "There's nothing to worry about. They just want to get to know you a little more."

"Your father doesn't like me... I know he doesn't." Silvia sighed but ran light fingers over his hand, grateful that he was at least trying to calm her down. "It's because he knows who I am, isn't it?"

Clark went silent for a second, eyes on the road but lips tightening into a straight line. "I'm sorry, Sil. I told them before I knew how I felt about you... I just needed some advice and they're always the ones I turn to."

"Somehow I doubt that your father's advice was anything but 'lock her up'."

"Well... you're not wrong." Clark sighed. "But they're willing to give you a chance now, all I ask is that you do the same."

"Parents aren't my thing, but I'll... try."

Clark smiled gently. "Thank you. They mean a lot to me."

"I know they do."

The dirt road slowly got rougher, and the rocks became looser. A sign whizzed by the window saying 'Welcome to Smallville' and soon the small town came into view.

The country had its own charm about it. There were people lifting heavy bags into trucks, stands selling fresh fruit and vegetables, and animals being transferred between farms. It was all very new to Silvia, but there was something sweet about it. She could see that this was where Clark had grown up.

They kept driving a little longer until the town was replaced by the occasional house, and then it was nothing but trees again. Finally, a farm could be seen in the distance. Cows, sheep, and pigs all locked in their large pens; horses in their stables.

"This is it." Clark said, expression glowing warmly. It made apparent the weight this meeting held. He loved this place so dearly that to bring her here must have meant that he was serious about her.

As they entered the driveway the loud barking of a dog could be heard and Silvia's head whipped around searching for it. There, running beside the ute, was a brown sheep dog with a green collar and scruffy fur. Silvia's eyes lit up. At least the dog could provide her with a distraction from the nerves still littering in her stomach.