Chapter Forty-Three: Parallel Lives

The rain fell softly as if it knew of the hardships both behind and ahead

The rain fell softly as if it knew of the hardships both behind and ahead. Each droplet alighted on Silvia's skin with just enough coolness to command her mind to the present, to pull her away from the pain of the past and the uncertainty of what was to come. The beads over her face, more numerous than even the scars in her skin, joined to wash over her in a delicate cascade of trickles. She raised her eyes to the grey layer that touched every mountain top, there was more to come before the skies cleared, of that she could be sure.

"Sil?" A voice came from the apartment behind her and she hesitantly turned at the sound. Clark stood there still draped in red, blue, and yellow. Soon after they had arrived back he had to leave again to defend Metropolis. They hadn't had a chance to speak about what they saw yet. "What are you doing out in the rain?"

Silvia's arms moved to hug herself and she shrugged, avoiding any form of eye contact with the man. "I don't know... It helps me think."

That same kind smile spread across his lips, small but still visible as he stepped towards her and out into the downpour. "You'll get a cold if you stay out here."

She shook her head. "It takes a lot more than this to get me sick, you know that."

"Well, it's still not a risk I'm willing to take." Clark unclipped his cape and held it over Silvia's head to cover her from the rain. It all seemed rather pointless to her seeing as she was already soaked. "I know you don't like me fussing over you but-"

"I don't know, compared to the other Superman you're pretty tame." It was meant as a joke but it fell short. It only reminded them of what had happened... and that there was still a lot they needed to discuss.

Clark sighed, trying to maintain the same glow he always had. He forced the smile back on and nodded towards his apartment. "Come on. Let's get inside before it turns into a storm."

She obliged but only because being outside wasn't making her decision any easier. She needed to talk to Clark about it... to try and make sure this world didn't end up like the other.

As soon as she was inside Clark already had a towel in hand and draped it over her shoulders. It was warm... much warmer than the usual towel. She had to wonder what he had done to it to make it that way without setting it on fire.

"Sorry I took so long. Bruce wanted to... talk about something." Clark started, disappearing for no longer than a minute or so before re-emerging out of his costume and in a loose pair of pajama pants... no shirt. Why did he have to make everything so distracting?

"About the other world?" Silvia quickly replied, knowing very well what someone like Bruce Wayne would want to discuss.

Clark was hesitant to agree, obviously thinking it better to avoid the topic no matter how many times she brought it up. Silvia couldn't blame him. She could see that he was having an inner conflict he'd prefer not to converse with her over.