Chapter Thirty-Nine: Son Of Wayne

"When he returned to Metropolis it was destroyed

"When he returned to Metropolis it was destroyed. All I remember is seeing him in the middle of a crater where the city use to be, holding your body. I won't ever forget the look on his face. I've never seen anyone in so much pain, I don't think I ever will again." Barry gave a heavy exhale and Silvia felt like she could almost see his memories. "I know it's hard but we're running out of time. If there's anything else you want to know ask it now."

Silvia racked her brain but the reality of what she had just heard stung in her chest. A little of the fear she felt for the Superman of this world changed into sympathy. She wanted more answers though so she pushed herself to speak. "Okay... What happened to Dick Grayson?"

Flash fell silent but it wasn't clear if it was because of the grief or if he was afraid to tell her.

"I know that he's dead, Barry, and I know that Damian Wayne killed him. I want to know why, I need to know."

"Well that makes things a little easier then..." He said lowly. "But not much."

"I'm sorry but I can't stay here without knowing... He was important to me."

"I know he was." Barry's shoulders slumped forward, red costume so flexible that it didn't even leave a crease. "And you were to him. I know that there were some of us that never accepted you even when you changed sides; Batman, Cyborg, Raven, Hawkman, Batwoman, even I was guilty of invalidated scepticism. But when you died it didn't just effect Superman."

"It's funny that most of them ended up doing the same things they hated me for... I'm sure Batman and Cyborg didn't shed any tears."

"Cyborg... no. He was respectful enough to keep his mouth shut though. Batman swallowed his pride and attended your funeral but I couldn't tell if he was just doing it for Clark or if he really wanted to be there." Flash shrugged. "Hal and Billy were pretty messed up though. They joined The Regime to honour your memory, Hal even turned to the yellow power core because he thought your death could have been prevented if they'd killed Joker when they had the opportunity."

Guilt swirled in Silvia's stomach sickeningly. She gulped it back down in hopes that the nauseous feeling would leave her. "And Dick?"

"He actively spoke out against Superman's changing ideals. He was just as messed up by your death, probably even more so than Hal, but he dealt with it in a different way. He knew that you wouldn't have wanted any of this." Flash paused for a second, building up the will to speak about Richard's death out loud. "His death... it was a complete accident."

An accident? Silvia couldn't believe it... It couldn't have just been some small insignificant moment. If anything, knowing that he hadn't died in a blaze of glory like he should have made the pain even worse.