Chapter Eight: Hot-Headed

Heat rained down on Silvia like the breath of hell

Heat rained down on Silvia like the breath of hell. The scorched pavement shimmered in the intense white rays of the sun. Her hair was pushed back in a high ponytail with the hope to cool herself down but it only made her neck drop with warm sweat. The arid heat burned at her lungs and every step felt like one hundred.

Metropolis was usually a hot place, much to Silvia's dismay, but the last few days had been surprisingly cold. It only made the sudden heat wave more intolerable. It was days like this that she wished to live in Gotham, a place always drenched in cold rain.

At the very least, she would have liked to stay indoors with a wet towel on her forehead but today was Monday... and she somehow felt obligated to meet with Clark. She was the reason that he had gotten shot at after all.

Silvia slipped into the oncoming crowd, familiar anonymity putting her at ease. She much preferred the shadows and the crowds with a thousand faces that looked just like hers. Walking alone was always a much bigger risk.

Finally, Silvia spotted the tiny café huddled despondent among the huge city buildings. At this time of day it's lights shone bright orange and the building hunched in on itself, fighting against the heat. Hundreds of people rushed by it on the crowded street, very few taking notice of it.

Silvia broke away from the group and took a few more lingering steps towards the cafe. From across the street, she could see Clark in the window. His head was down and his eyes were scanning over a newspaper, his free hand stirred a cup of coffee in front of him. From here, without his constant talking and stuttering, she saw how sharp his profile was. With his mouth shut he was actually fairly attractive.

Silvia shook the ridiculous thought out of her head. Him being slightly decent looking didn't take away from the fact that he was a complete scatterbrain. The blonde sighed and glanced at either side of the road for any traffic. However, as soon as it looked safe enough to cross she heard a loud whimper from not far behind her.

Silvia instinctively turned, narrowing her eyes at the dark alleyway. From inside she could hear muffled cries and groans of pain. Anyone close enough to hear it just kept walking...and sadly, this came as no surprise to her.

Glancing once more at the small cafe, making sure that she had not yet been noticed by Clark, Silvia dashed in the opposite direction. The alleyway was darkness and the sour relics of a hundred take-away meals. As she walked between the walls that were too high for her to bother seeking the bright blue sky, she kicked the garbage scattered on the path with each stride.

It was curious that even on the sunniest of days an alley remained in blackness. This time she was grateful for it though, for with this lack of light came a welcome chill. It dried the sweat that glistened on her face and rejuvenated her tired muscles just before she reached the source of the sound.

On the ground, pressed up against the cracked bricks of an old nightclub, was a man with duct tape over his mouth and his hands tied with sturdy rope. Anger swelled in Silvia's stomach, eyes flicking to the man standing over him and memorizing his every detail. The stranger was slim and dark, with a slight mustache which curled upward at the ends. He had coal-black eyes, restless and piercing. His hands were small and slim, almost feminine. Silvia knew from a single look that he wasn't used to doing the dirty work and would be no challenge for her.