Chapter Fifty-Seven: Second Coming

From the screens in her hideout, Silvia could see the entire fight

From the screens in her hideout, Silvia could see the entire fight. Eradicator was hitting Cyborg Superman on the side of his head without cybernetic plating with great, walloping, pile-driver blows. The two of them staggered together, like partners in a crazy dance. Structures collapsing all around them. Gray smoke from the fires lit in the background, and dust from the chipped brick-and-plaster walls that they tore down, swirled around them in a rainbow haze.

No one fights dirtier or more brutally than blood; only family knows it's own weaknesses, and they were closer than family... they were, apparently, the same person. That was actually what this whole fight was about. From what Silvia could gather, they were trying to prove which of them was truly Superman. By doing so they had destroyed a large portion of Metropolis... but thankfully Superboy had managed to prevent any deaths so far.

Eradicator's eyes started glowing bright red and he zapped heat in Cyborg Superman's direction. The 'laser' smoked against the other man's metal chest, melting a hole into it. He growled in response, and with one swoop, he hit Eradicator through a set of apartments.

Screams suddenly pierced Silvia's ears, and as soon as the two super humans had flown away from the site of destruction, she spotted Superboy dashing over to the building and holding it up for the families to escape.

After setting down the falling apartments, Conner raced towards the two fighting men. "Stop it! Both of you!" He yelled in fury.

"Don't get involved, Kid." Eradicator hissed. "This has nothing to do with you."

Cyborg Superman turned his head to Conner, one red eye glowing through the ash. "If he claims to be Superman as well, I will crush him just the same as you."

"I claim to be no one but myself!" Superboy growled through clenched teeth. "But if you continue endangering the people of Metropolis I will have no choice but to stop you... permanently."

"You will try." The Cyborg's voice buzzed through his torn chest. "And you will fail."

In less than a second Cyborg Superman's hand rolled into a fist, and slammed directly into Superboy's cheekbone. There was a crack, and he was sent whirling in the opposite direction. Conner's shows had barely scraped the concrete before he leapt up again, speeding back towards his attacker with a scream of pure anger.

Eradicator mimicked his actions, and as they both sped towards Cyborg Superman, he prepared for impact. He had it all planned out in his head. He would toss Eradicator so far into the ground that he would burrow his own grave, and Superboy would be tossed into orbit.

The idea pleased the robot, and as the two others sped towards him, he felt that satisfaction multiply. They never made it to him though... someone had blocked his view and stopped both fists with his own hands.