Chapter Twenty-Seven: Mask

Silvia winced as she sipped her coffee - it was tepid, overly bitter and lacking real cream

Silvia winced as she sipped her coffee - it was tepid, overly bitter and lacking real cream. It was a source of caffeine though and so she drank like a sailor new to whiskey. She hated coffee but she had been out all night searching for a runaway; a fifteen year-old daughter experiencing the more rebellious years of her life.

It was daylight by the time Silvia convinced the girl to return to her family, and now she was waiting for Clark at the cafe they use to meet at for interviews. Speaking of which, she still hadn't seen that article be released... but she tried to convince herself that it was just delayed.

The customers around her spoke about the days events, some in hushed tones and others obnoxiously loud. Silvia heard it all. One couple was discussing the working week, whilst another was whispering things to each other that Silvia wished she hadn't heard.

It had been a few days since she revealed the truth to Clark and he still hadn't left her. Silvia feared that it was about to happen as Clark had asked her to meet him here. He said that he had something he needed to tell her.

Silvia took another gulp of her regretfully weak coffee and felt the urge to gag at the taste. She saw Clark enter and held the sound in her throat, never to find air. He looked just as nervous as she did... maybe even more so.

"Sorry, Sil." Clark said, rushing over to her table and taking a seat on the opposite side. "Were you waiting long?"

"Long enough to regret ordering this coffee." Silvia laughed. "Which honestly isn't very long at all."

Clark's lips formed a small smile but his body remained in a stressed state; his shoulders were lifted so high that she could see the muscle through his jacket.

Silvia's expression fell and she placed her mug on the table with a quiet 'clink'. "Are you alright, Dorothy?"

"Y-Yeah..." Clark tried to reassure her but it was extremely unconvincing. His fingers were twitching against the cloth draping over the mahogany wood. "Just fine."

"Clark..." It was the first time she had used his name outright in a awhile, but she needed to relay her concerns. "I don't believe you."

Clark gave a shaky sigh. "There's no fooling you, is there?"

"Not when it involves you." Silvia reached across the table and held his hands securely in hers. "It's okay, you can tell me."

"Sil... I..." Clark started but was quickly cut off by the sound of something exploding.

Flames erupted outside the window, smashing the glass they were sitting near. Clark quickly shielded Silvia from the shrapnel, then just as the roof was collapsing, he caught it with his bare hands. As he held the large slab of concrete above his head the customers fled... but Silvia was stuck staring at him. She was on her back like some helpless civilian, mind hardly processing what she was seeing.